Trailer Trash

Couch needs a new hand held flashlight: suggestions? (Read 46 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I mentioned needing a handheld flashlight in the dailies.  I know it's been asked before but a quick search here did not bring up much except a Fenix LD20 Mandy recommended.  Now that Couch also has a need, I started a thread.

thanks for your suggestions.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

some call me Tim

I like my Fenix E21. 150 lumens, uses AAs, good battery life and doesn't go dim toward the end, about the size of a mini mag. In general, I'd highly recommend Fenix for durability and value. I've had several and often given them as gifts. Never a problem.

Good luck with your search!

Birdwell

How about something like this?

(I have no real suggestion. I haven't used a handheld flashlight in years. The only one I had was a 4 cell maglight)

Another vote for the Fenix!  Super lightweight, powerful, and it's easy to change the batteries (says the 50-year-old woman who can't see a damn thing and was swearing up a storm trying to change the F@#King AAA batteries on her cheap Costco handhelds during a freezing rain at a recent 100-miler).

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Another vote for Fenix.  Mine is an LD 22? (I think).  I carry it with me pretty much all the time (work, car, home, repeat) .  It has broken my fall several times without taking on any damage.

**Ask me about streaking**

Sandy-2

I use the GSX 220 Lumen Handheld from Gander Mountain.  It's very compact and lightweight, but it does take expensive special Lithium CR123A 3V batteries.  The thing is great though.   (Here's a link.)

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=414672

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks, Queen!

Fenix-Users: How much does your light cost? What type of batteries? Does it work with rechargeables, too?

Sandy: Does the light go dim over time? How tricky is it to change the batteries?

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Fenix-Users: How much does your light cost? What type of batteries? Does it work with rechargeables, too?

I think mine was around $50.  2 AA batteries.  Rechargeables would work just fine.

Running is dumb.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

This is what I have (and where I ordered it...free shipping!)

Cost is $55 but this coupon code will get you an additional $5 off:  OPWC735JKQWF

Yes you can use rechargeables (2xAA).

The light does not dim until it is at the end of the battery life...at this point, it goes into "limp home mode" and locks into the low setting.  I generally use it on LOW (sidewalks) or MEDIUM (trails)...I use HIGH occasionally on technical stuff and to increase my visibility to motorists.  I use TURBO (200 lumens) occasionally, but thats generally overkill (but nice to have the option).

**Ask me about streaking**

Queen of Nothing

Sue

This is what I have (and where I ordered it...free shipping!)

Cost is $55 but this coupon code will get you an additional $5 off:  OPWC735JKQWF

Yes you can use rechargeables (2xAA).

The light does not dim until it is at the end of the battery life...at this point, it goes into "limp home mode" and locks into the low setting.  I generally use it on LOW (sidewalks) or MEDIUM (trails)...I use HIGH occasionally on technical stuff and to increase my visibility to motorists.  I use TURBO (200 lumens) occasionally, but thats generally overkill (but nice to have the option).

Thanks..I just went ahead and order this based on everyone seemed to like there's.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Is a handheld flashlight a supplement to a headlamp or in lieu of? So far I haven't had to consider that yet, but I expect to need to at some point. so far all my races have had enough ambient light that runners didn't need lamps or flashlights.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I use it to supplement a headlamp, George.  The Fenix flashlight mentioned in this thread is extremely bright and will dwarf the light of your headlamp, but it's nice to have both in case something stupid happens and having two angles of light illuminates things better as well.

Also, the medium setting seems to work great. I paced from sunset to sunrise during a 100 before and the flashlight lasted through the night no problem.

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Sandy: Does the light go dim over time? How tricky is it to change the batteries?

It doesn't start dimming until it is at the end of the battery life.  I usually keep it on the dimmer setting, which the specs say lasts about 40 hours.  Changing the batteries is extremely simple. If you page thru the photos in the link I gave you can see how small the light is, it can fit into most running short pockets and even the small pouch of my UD handheld.  But it's powerful.

I also wear a headlamp when carrying a handheld.  I'll echo what MM said, this light is bright and dwarfs the light of the headlamp, but it's good having two lighting angles.  Plus if you drop (or need to change batteries) either your handheld or headlamp it's good to have a second light source available.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Is a handheld flashlight a supplement to a headlamp or in lieu of? So far I haven't had to consider that yet, but I expect to need to at some point. so far all my races have had enough ambient light that runners didn't need lamps or flashlights.

I don't like wearing a headlamp, they bug me and I hate how they make you tunnel vision.  So plan on using handheld alone.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks everyone. I'm still comparing and researching, I'll decide soon.

wc: I use the handheld light together with the headlamp to get better spatial resolution (to see better 3D and to get a better idea of how far rocks and roots stick out, or how high steps/boulders are).

My previous handheld light was DS's bike light - small, light and bright. I also have a mini light, similar in size to Sandy's, but this might not be bright enough. So far, my handheld light is not as bright as the headlamp, which is my primary light. However, when my headlamp went dead, I used the handheld as primary, the dim headlamp as secondary, and it seemed to work better. The lower your primary light, the more shadow you see, and that helps with estimating depth. The secondary light should be at a different angle and height.

I like the handheld to have a slightly different color (blueish/yellowish) from the headlamp, this makes it easier to point the two at the same spot (you can distinguish which light needs to be moved where). But that's just for braindead runners like me, not everyone needs that.

Run for fun.