Trailer Trash

Manic Mondaily (Read 32 times)

some call me Tim

SRD here.. was thinking of switching it up but all considered I just don't have the energy. I continue on my quest to repair our well line, broken in multiple places right next to the house and beneath a 20' arbovitae that I've already limbed because it's become clear that it just has to come out and I'm just the guy to do it. I'm now 2' or so down(4' at the foundation) via axe, mattock, sledge and shovel and the thing is still damn sturdy. I really don't feel the need for a run, even if the monthly goal will be slightly out of reach.

qotd: Yeah, I'd say falling and cracking my head on a rock as well. No real dangerous animals here and I guess I'm about as solid as I'm gonna get on tick checking

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No running..mostly because I don't feel like being pulled by the dogs and also we have a big fire going on within 10 miles from our house so we are smoked in.  Did make it to the gym at lunch for upper body.  My body feels great so I guess I didn't try hard enough on Saturday.    I will do a short write up with pictures in a day or so until I completely forget everything.  It was a beautiful course.  I am going to be busy at work for the next few days, our other supervisor's husband was in a boating accident so she will be out for a while.  At least he's ok...let the suing begin. 

QOTD:  Real fear:  Running into a man that's not in the woods because he likes the woods and irrational:  night runs..the boogieman even though I know they don't exist I am still afraid of them. 

LB2:  You say 10 but I am sure it will be 6.

Muppy:  Sweet find..treat yourself to some fancy brew you have been dying to try.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Back home for a couple days then off for a couple weeks to Ontario. Still waiting on my special order of food from Packit Gourmet after a few of you mentioned it in the backpacking thread. Paid a kings ransom to get it shipped here before Wednesday. Still waiting...

Got in some great mountain biking up north and my early morning run today up there was promising as I think my legs are back now. Yay.

QOTD--No real fear on the trails, I do realize I'm just a slip on a wet rock from trouble anytime I'm out and about. There are some urban areas I certainly avoid when running the pavement.

Thankfully she was seemingly just protecting a den down the hill possibly and never showed any aggressive tendencies...but still scary nonetheless.

Jamie--Black bears do not defend their den. If a bear was reluctant to leave an area it is more likely there was a nice food source nearby. (dead animal,berries, etc.)They sometimes will prepare a den site in the early fall and come back to it when it's time to go nighty night but more often they just locate a site when needed and do a quick prep. They will even occasionally leave the den under good conditions to do a quick walkabout but go right back in. The sows give birth in the den and the tiny cubs will nurse but once spring arrives all bears just head out the door and don't look back. it is extremely rare for the same bear to return to a den the following year.  Bears are not like foxes or wolves which will use the same site continuesly, leaving the young there while hunting, etc.

I've got a formerly used den on my property built into a hillside with the roots of a tree providing a semblance of a structure. I have partially dug it and reinforced it with planks to prevent a total collapse of the site hoping that one of these winters when I snowshoe over there and poke my head in I'll be face to face with Yogi. 

DigDug2

6 at lunch today.  Had a good running weekend, including a great 90 minute run on some trails I haven't been on in a while.

QOTD:  +1 for falling and cracking my head on a rock.  I never think about animals, ticks, scary people, etc.

Sandy-2

Monday was a SRD.  Today I got in 4 for a quick "instant run".  (Gosh, I hope that QoN doesn't see this.     .)

qotd:  I know that it is totally irrational and such a remote possibility, but whenever I do early morning runs by myself in California or Colorado I have this fear of Mountain Lions.  I tend to make a lot of noise on those runs.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

11 miles with 1,800 or so ft gain, warm and humid, but that faded into the back of my mind with all the flies, gnats and mosquitoes circlingy head and doing the windshield wiper dance in front of my glasses. Very pesky.

QOTD: falling in remote areas, and knocking out my teeth or breaking my nose on a rock. Second, stepping on a snake.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jamie--Black bears do not defend their den. If a bear was reluctant to leave an area it is more likely there was a nice food source nearby. (dead animal,berries, etc.)They sometimes will prepare a den site in the early fall and come back to it when it's time to go nighty night but more often they just locate a site when needed and do a quick prep. They will even occasionally leave the den under good conditions to do a quick walkabout but go right back in. The sows give birth in the den and the tiny cubs will nurse but once spring arrives all bears just head out the door and don't look back. it is extremely rare for the same bear to return to a den the following year.  Bears are not like foxes or wolves which will use the same site continuesly, leaving the young there while hunting, etc.

I've got a formerly used den on my property built into a hillside with the roots of a tree providing a semblance of a structure. I have partially dug it and reinforced it with planks to prevent a total collapse of the site hoping that one of these winters when I snowshoe over there and poke my head in I'll be face to face with Yogi. 

Thanks for the info.  That is interesting.  This was a few years ago (2012 I think).  The bear was probably startled by me from a good food source.  She or He did not move more than 30 yards from it and sat down, staring at me for 5 minutes until I found the courage to take off down the trail.  I talked to a guy that described the very same situation a year later in the same area.  We both thought it was the same bear.  I guess that is why I thought the bear was defending a den.   I guess as long as I do not try to steal the bear's snacks, I should be ok...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday