Trailer Trash

Wonky Wednesday (Read 28 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

It's wonky because there are some weird things going on in my world.  My AC decided to not work again so I am trouble shooting.  Thankfully we have a cool few days ahead.  Also our family is infested with lice. Oh yea! I am the only one without.  Thankfully the school nurse is all about helping us out and stated lice is no where near as scary as it used to be.  But yeah we have been over reacting, washing everything in the house!

On a running note, I got out for 6 miles this morning.

QOTD: Ever lose track of your miles or time when running?

I was out on Monday at a trail (Blue Marsh lake) that has mile markers.  I thought I should be coming up on a certain mile marker and completely missed it.  I clicked off a mile and didn't know it.  But it caught up to me because at the end and I thought I was super close to my car, it seemed to go on for a while.  It is a weird sensation- both ways.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I got in a very, very hot 5 miles yesterday. I would say I was borderline heat casualty. But it all worked out fine. It was a pretty good run all the way around. I just pushed it a little bit too hard at the end.

QOTD: I have completely zoned out on some road runs, but I can't think of too many times that I have done that on the trails. There are plenty of times when I don't care about the miles, but I always focus on the amount of time I am out.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Windy and cloudy weather here, also much cooler than the past several days, yuk.  Trying to decide between the bike and running. At this time the running is winning, probably get in about 7-8 miles before heading off to work late this afternoon.

Jame - Been exposed to lice a few times longer ago. Always scrubbed down with Nix and avoided getting them. Now I'm deathly afraid of picking up bedbugs. We see a lot of people that have those. Much more difficult to get rid of unless you catch them early.

QOTD: Well there have been a few times on the bike where I suddenly "woke up" and realized that I didn't know how I had gotten to where I was at.

muppy

8.5 road miles yesterday while  I got four new tires put on my car.

Jamie, I hope everything works out with the little bugs! Seems like if one kid  gets some in school everybody does.

QOTDI was running on the rail trail one time and was planning  to take some trails off to the side for a few miles. I ended up missing the turn and was about 5 miles until I figured it out.  I'm smart like that !

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  Just trying not to gain 10 pounds before the race.  No change in left foot, just going to gamble on it.  Weather looks awesome for the weekend.

Jamie - only 1 episode of lice for my kiddies after a church picnic where all the kids were passing around hats in some sort of musical chair like game.  Crew cut for son and shorter hair for the girls.  DW and I never got them but we itched a lot just thinking about them.  Good luck.

QOTD:  Hell yea, that's part of the fun.  Usually when I go exploring unmarked trails.  On my way back I'll think I had just gone a mile only to find I'm 3+ miles from where I turned.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Not too wonky here... ran 7 last night on the trails of Green Lane with the Lady while the missus walked the springer SirB. A bit humid last night but no big deal as I am acclimated now. Just means extra sweat. Tonight will be similar trail distance. Almost chilly today. I might need to wear a shirt.

QOTD: Sure it happens. I've done that loop at Blue Marsh and am always happy when I've missed a marker and see I'm further along then I thought. Now when they come up slowly then I have the opposite reaction.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Hello all! After a lousy 2 weeks in a row of training (sick & being out of town) I am peaking this week for Laurel Highlands . Should get 60+ miles which is high for me.  Then taper starts next week.  I'm happy it's cooler in PA today, but yesterday's heat and humidity was good training for summer racing.

QOTD: yes, lately for my weekday runs I've been going out for loops that I know general distances, but not keeping exact time or mileage. Tends to be more of a stress release versus watching the mileage click by.

Jamie and XT - I'm thinking about doing the Blue Marsh loop this Saturday. I think seeing the mile markers will be good training for Laurel Highlands....that is the part I'm afraid of most 

some call me Tim

Not sure what it's gonna be today, mileage-wise, but I'm not really feeling the mid-week long run I planned.

Jame- I've been there on a few occasions with both of my daughters and IMO Nix et al are useless. And even if you do go with them get the 'Nit Free Terminator'. It's the best lice comb out there. Last time we had an infestation, I just got a big bottle of cheap conditioner. I systematically work it through their hair, rinse it in a bowl of hot water and dry on a small towel. You have to make sure to get the comb in right at the scalp, but with the conditioner it shouldn't be a painful thing... then rinse at the end and see what critters you have in the bowl. I do a wash and dry with the pillow and favorite stuffed animals, but lice don't survive long off the host. Last time it was 5 days of nightly combing followed by spot checks every 3 days for the next two weeks and we were clear. It's a nuisance, but that's my foolproof method. Spread the combing duties around if you can :-)

qotd: uh, what was the question? yeah, it happens more frequently when I'm really at ease with what I'm doing

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I haven't really run in like 3 weeks.  And I haven't run consistently in like two months.  This shit is getting old.  I need a new body; I wore mine out in 32 years. 

QOTD: Not on shorter runs.  I think it's invaluable to be able to lose time during long runs and ultras.  I just make a conscious effort to not look at my watch and just concentrate on the moment.  Kind of cool to lose an hour or two like that.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

blarg - that sounds like a lot of work.  The school nurse gave us some fairly simple instructions - should save us time and money. The key, she said, was to recheck and retreat at the 9 day incubation period.  I itch all over just thinking about it.

DD - definitely better than bed bugs!!

Mandy - hang it there please!

TnC - are you planning on running the entire loop? Have fun.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice 6.4 this morning with the mutts.  Was trying to shove my ear plugs back into the ear and trip over root or rock and landed on hands and knees.  Drew a little blood.  Later Earl was going one way and me the other which caused my hand holding the leash to twist in a painful direction so as I tried to spin around I wiped out again.  No damage that time.  All in all a good am run.     Saw Mad Max last night.  Although it was a 2 hour car chase it was pretty entertaining.   Especially the band playing the whole time. 

QOTD:  Not really losing a mile or time but really getting lost on a trail I totally know.  Like you think you are at a certain place on the trail but your not.  Thinking you already passed a point and then you reach it.  Not remember passing a huge landmark on a trail and wonder how you got here without see it.    I like those runs...zoning man zoning.

LB2:  Past a field where I saw a Turkey with 3 chicks a couple of weeks ago.  Today as I approached the field I saw her lower down and look just like all the other clumps in the field.  It was neato.

Jamie:  eewww...

Mandy:  Here I come...but would rather have you healthy and kicking my ass!!! 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

LB2:  Past a field where I saw a Turkey with 3 chicks a couple of weeks ago.  Today as I approached the field I saw her lower down and look just like all the other clumps in the field.  It was neato.

Yes. They do that. One time my brother had a gobbler coming to him across a field. All of a sudden, the turkey just stopped and laid down flat, spread his wings with just his head barely above the grass. A coyote had come into the field. The coyote skirted the edge of the field and exited. The turkey got back up and ended up on the receiving end of a shotgun blast shortly thereafter.

LB2

XtremeTaper

AT - Taper on.. hope the toe is a no issue this weekend.

T&C - Ha. When running Laurel the mile markers/monuments will become your best friend... well, most of the time. Once in awhile they take too long to arrive. Note, the first couple may be missing though. After that they are fairly regular and the last one (mile marker 70) is claimed to be short by all who run. Oh, I might be at Blue Marsh Saturday. I often wrap up my training with 30 around the lake.

Mandy - Sorry you are broken again. Different issue? I must have missed it.

Queen - Flying through the air with the greatest of ease I see. That's a page out of my book.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Did 5 early this morning.  I took a few URD due to a little cold and needed some extra rest.  Nothing serious.

Darn, lice, turkeys, trips, falls, broken MM....  what the heck is going on here?

qotd: Yup, it does happen, sometimes when I would do my 'normal loop' I'd get back and think...  "hey I don't remember running ______ (fill in the blank)______  ".

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

URD, can't get my feet into shoes any more after a whole day at work, on my feet in worn-out shoes all the time. Maybe a new pair of work shoes could help...

Also was wondering what was going on with all the injuries. For a short while, I might actually join the club, but I don't plan to stay more than a few days!

QOTD: Yes, it happens. I usually plan out a loop ahead of time, so I often know what distance I'll run, but sometimes I change the loop, or connect trails in new ways, and then I usually underestimate the distance significantly.

Run for fun.