Trailer Trash

Hyner 2016 (Read 34 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC - they have camping at the start/finish area but it is limited so if camping is your deal, snag a spot asap.  There are other camping spots in the area.  Hyner is fairly remote so as far as motels, I think you would have to go to Lock Haven (20-25 minutes from start/finish) to find a decent one.

I really would prefer not camping and the Sportman's Hotel is already fully booked. There are some other hotels nearby without going to Lock Haven, but I've been unable to find out anything about them, not even a website. Anyone have any experience with other lodging in the area?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

When I ran it, it was 130 runners, maybe some more in the second year, and that was just enough to avoid noticable congestion. I imagine 250 or 350 will definitely cause a major delay, and then crowd running for the next 25k. Not my piece of cake. I'll pass.

Adding 100 spots to the already 250? isn't too bad.  It's not like it's 1200  people trying to squeeze into that first trail.  I like the idea.  Having said that, I hope it doesn't get any bigger than that.  I really enjoy the remoteness of the back section.  Well, I can still enjoy it, just with more people.  

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if there's any interest in a Friday night get together for dinner. I ended up getting a room at the Best Western in Lock Haven.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I will be driving up the morning of.  It is 2+ hours for me but I do it anyway.  Sorry.  But we must meet up Sat morning! Keystone runner will be there, not sure if he is staying over.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hope we can meet up before the race. Looking at last year's times the two of you may finish the 50K before I'm done with the 25K. I'll probably be wearing either my light blue Labor Pain t-shirt or the NC 24 green t-shirt in my avatar picture.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

wc - I am doubting that we would finish before you - unless you are just hiking.  The 50k starts an hour prior to the 25k.  My "goal" is under 7 hours but probably not likely.  If you finished around the same time, that would put you at 6 hours for the 25k. That is a leisurely pace for 6 hours so fairly certain you will do better than that.  My only 25k @ Hyner I finished just over 4 hours.  I would have done better except for the hundreds of people clogging up the trails!!!!

So what I am really trying to say, save some food and beverages for us.

I will be up around the start area around 7:30ish for the 8am 50k start.  Not sure what I am wearing but I am tall and lanky and will have a UD pack with trekking poles sticking out the top.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I never gave a thought to using trekking poles, though I have them from my hiking days. Too late now to worry about that.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

It will be my first time using them at Hyner.  It might actually be very difficult to use them in the 25k simply due to the sheer volume of people.  I am hoping they save my back a bit at the end of the race as it tends to be hurting in the longer distances.

Keystone's race report from OC100 last year helped solidify my decision to buy the z-poles.  keystone - I hope to thank you in person!

Daydreamer1

I don't think they want you to use poles on the first climb because of how crowded it is. After the first climb it would be fairly easy to use them as the crowd thins out pretty much.

Keep Going

It will be my first time using them at Hyner.  It might actually be very difficult to use them in the 25k simply due to the sheer volume of people.  I am hoping they save my back a bit at the end of the race as it tends to be hurting in the longer distances.

Keystone's race report from OC100 last year helped solidify my decision to buy the z-poles.  keystone - I hope to thank you in person!

haha thanks Jamie! I'll look for a tall lanky dude at the start with the poles.  Funny I used the poles only once since OC but will definitly be using them at Massanutten.

George I will also look for you!

Honestly it will be hard to find anyone I'm sure with all those people. I'm hoping for a 7:30-8 hr finish for the 50k. It's my last long run prior to tapering for MMT so I will enjoy a nice day on the mountain. George I should hope you will finish way before that!

100 milers are my favorite