Trailer Trash

Springing Fridaily (Read 31 times)

LB2

Daydreamer: Good points about the downhills and uphills, especially later in a long run/race.

FTYC: Not really in very good shape right now. But the day before I ran the same distance on the road and found it to terribly difficult. Yesterday was very smooth and quick. I think the biggest thing was that "the day before" was a day I barely ate anything all day before the run. Yesterday, my nutrition throughout the day was normal.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

5 this morning..it was nice. More like summer conditions here..

QOTD: I am bad at ownhills so if I learned to run them better I would pick up some time.  I am good at up hills, maybe that's why I am bad on downhills.  I don't know LB2, I just run for running sake!  What TT said.

AT:  Thanks...I'm back to normal.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Those averages are interesting, AT, they almost exactly even themselves out.

Huh?  It looks to me as if those numbers demonstrate the opposite.

Boys AVG.   Flat = 64s   Up= 69s  Down= 62s  -  Lose 5s on the up and gain back 2s on the down for a final loss or 3s (60% of what was lost was not gained back)

Girls Avg      Flat= 76s   Up= 82s   Down= 72s   - Lose 6s  on the up and gain back 4s on the down for a final loss or 2s (33% of what was lost was not gained back)

Our top 2 boys (who runs sub 16:00 5k)  were  Flat= 58  Up= 62  Down= 57  -  Lose 4s  on the up and gain back 1s on the down for a final loss or 3s  (75% of what was lost was not gained back)

If I got the math right, that is 40%, 33%, and 75% not gained back.  All three are substantial percentages not gained back.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Watoni

We'll see ... hitting a low from a mental and physical standpoint (felt terrible yesterday).

QOTD: Running is a bit more complicated than cycling on this issue, especially in a long grace, but climbing is king. At the margin a great descender or someone who takes lots of risks can make up some time, but they have to be close on the uphill.

Ultra running is somewhat different in that conserving energy on climbs can help you just be able to move forward at a sustainable pace for more of the race. It is easier to push uphills in cycling and recover on descents, but going anaerobic on climbs will generally be counterproductive in either case over the long haul.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

DD1: hang in there, you'll get through it. I'm in for a 12-hour shift tomottow, so I was happy to get in a few miles today. Actually, I tried to max out the opportunity and run hard to work on my quads. 9 or 10 miles, all just up and down steep, long hills on rocky, technical trails, with accordingly treacherous footing. And as I was trailing along, magically skipping over rocks and roots, I realized that I hadn't fallen in a while. And I guess everybody here knows the routine: as I was wondering where my next fall would occur, the Trail Gods showed me an appropriate spot right then and there - oops. I drew some blood on my knee, but it was not bad, just more like a scratch, not a big bruise. Lucked out on this one.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Huh?  It looks to me as if those numbers demonstrate the opposite.

Boys AVG.   Flat = 64s   Up= 69s  Down= 62s  -  Lose 5s on the up and gain back 2s on the down for a final loss or 3s (60% of what was lost was not gained back)

Girls Avg      Flat= 76s   Up= 82s   Down= 72s   - Lose 6s  on the up and gain back 4s on the down for a final loss or 2s (33% of what was lost was not gained back)

Our top 2 boys (who runs sub 16:00 5k)  were  Flat= 58  Up= 62  Down= 57  -  Lose 4s  on the up and gain back 1s on the down for a final loss or 3s  (75% of what was lost was not gained back)

If I got the math right, that is 40%, 33%, and 75% not gained back.  All three are substantial percentages not gained back.

Yes, my numbers show they didn't get their time back on the downhill.  When I pulled it up, the interesting thing was my elite boys were only 1 second faster downhill vs. flat, yet they were 4 seconds slower on the uphill vs flat.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I went to Audubon and hit the Back Country loop, got 4 miles in. My ankles, calves or whatever the issue has been lately did better than I expected. After yesterday morning's run I was a little concerned that I pushed things too hard, but I took it easy and hiked the climbs rather than strained myself. Feeling good and glad I went and ran them, now I want to go to bed.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

When I pulled it up, the interesting thing was my elite boys were only 1 second faster downhill vs. flat, yet they were 4 seconds slower on the uphill vs flat.  

That part surprised me a bit.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida