Trailer Trash

A Race for the Ages (from the twisted mind of Laz of Barkley fame) RR (Read 28 times)

charlesmoman

Well . .  . I was in an interesting running event this past Labor Day Weekend.

I do several timed races each year and they are among my favorites - usually 24-hour events.

Timed events - as many of you know - you go and do as much or little as you want that weekend.

Everyone starts together and off you go - usually in loops.

My recent timed event was "A Race for the Ages" (ARFTA) held in Manchester, Tennessee.

This was organized and conceived by Laz of infamous Barkley Marathon fame.

Charles with Laz

He decided to find a way to gather as many of the ultra pioneers as possible at one event and came up with ARFTA.

It was held at Deadman Park (yes, really) on a 1-mile loop primarily on blacktop.

The race finished at 6 PM on Labor Day, but the starting time was crazy unique because it was based upon your age.

You started the number of hours of your age.

I am 63, so I started on Saturday morning at 3 AM!

I was able to get in 102 miles!

Some fun facts about ARFTA.

Runners/walkers by age breakdown:

80's - 4
    70's - 25
    60's - 61
    50's - 35
    40's - 35
    30's - 13
    20 & under - 3

There were 3 100-mile finishers in their 80s, 18 in their 70s, 42 in their 60s, and 23 in their 50s. 70% percent of the 163 runners made it to the century mark. Winner Joe Fejes - age 49 - ran 200 miles. He is renowned ultra runner.

70-somethings had the highest percentage of 100 milers with 82% completing the distance. 80 and 60 year-olds tied for second with 75%. 50 year-olds had 74% finishing with 100 or more miles. Then came the youngsters with 40's at 67%, 30's at 62%, 20's at 33%. 

I believe there were 163 folks with the average age of 56!

Anyway, my 9-minute video explains about the race in general and my race.

I got 100+ miles, but I do not equate this with being a 100-mile finisher at a trail race.

I will attempt that in November at the Tunnel Hill 100.

But I DID go 100 miles and 100 miles is a 100 miles no matter how you do it! : )

My 9-minute RR:

https://youtu.be/iYC-NoqqMpg

runtraildc

Impressive stats, especially for the 70's group!  And congratulations on your 100+, Charles.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

one mile loop on black top?!???   

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

That does sound like a interesting race.  Not sure I would like the asphalt loop though.  Congrats on getting to 100 miles, that should have been good training for your November race.

AT-runner

Tim

Great job. Sounds like a pretty cool race format.  The first 24hhr that I did, I thought I would hate it, but there is something zen-like about running around in loops.

Nice mileage, and congratulations.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations on the 100+ miles, great job!

The age distribution sounds interesting. I wish I'll be able to finish 100 miles at age 80! 

Interesting that the younger the participants, the less finished 100+ miles.

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congratulations on the 100+ miles, great job!

The age distribution sounds interesting. I wish I'll be able to finish 100 miles at age 80! 

Interesting that the younger the participants, the less finished 100+ miles.

Not really that surprising since they had less time. Those under 30 had less than 30 hours, a common cutoff for 100 mile races.

Charles, you must still be re-adapting to normal time if you're posting this in the middle of the night. Hope to see you at NC 24 again.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

NHLA

Way to go. Congrats on 100+    We have lots of over 80 runners here and some over 90.

I hugged a 95 year old and said you finished again. He cracked up.

charlesmoman

Thanks!

When I did my first 24-hour I thought the loops would drive me crazy, but it becomes a much more social event.

Being a back of the pack guy. I am usually alone and that is OK - I am all alone training most of the time.

I MUCH prefer trail loops, like my upcoming St. Pat's 24-hour in South Bend in October on a 3-mile loop.

But the short loop, like my upcoming Northcoast in Cleveland next weekend is fun.

You soon know when Harvey Lewis (Badwater winner 2014) or other runners are coming from behind - you recognize their pattern.

At ARFTA, I was able to talk to legends like Ann Trason and others and that would never happen at a point to point.

This 100 mile event for me was great training - mainly mental - for my Tunnel Hill 100 in November.

It's nice to start to get back to being in a groove again and improving.

I would love to do 100 miles at a 24-hour event and that is a major goal of mine in the next year or two.

I believe I can do it.