Trailer Trash

can I ask a mtn bike question? pretty please :) (Read 54 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I don't know dick about mtn bikes, but think I might want one Smile- especially in my current non-running condition; it would also do double duty as a commuter-roughly a easy 4-ish mile ride to and fro work saving me gas $ and wear/tear on my truck

I'm pretty sure I don't need a full suspension bike (and possibly don't want to pay for one??), it would be used on single track trails (same runs I run), not overly technical but can be a little tight here and there; there is some significant elevation gain so it needs to be able to climb

I'd like to stay in the grand range (less if possible??), I know that doesn't buy a high end bike, but I don't think I need a high end bike

26 or 29?  components/specific models?  any help narrowing my search would be most appreciated Big grin

thanks in advance!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I have a really good bike and I think it's worth spending the extra now.  it's 8 years old now so the price doesn't seem so bad.   that's all the advice I have for you.    but Mt biking is way better then road.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

You can buy a decent, mid level Cannondale hard tail  for under $1000. Spending more for full suspension usually isn't worth it. I have a Cannondale F5 that I've ridden for several years and its a great bike. I also have a Specialized Expert with full suspension. With extras, it's $5500. I ride the Cannondale more than the Specialized.

Given what you said, I'd go for a 26" rigid MTB.  Purely personal preference though and if I was taller I'd consider a 29er.

I am still riding a rigid 26" Canondale I bought in 1990 in my MTB racing days.  It has worked out well and continues to.

I do sometimes think it might be fun to have a full suspension bike, but my rigid bike will go anywhere a suspension bike will.  There is something to the following doctrine:

"Want more suspension? Put more air between your ass and the seat."

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

I'm short and I love my 29er. The frames are altered to accommodate the taller wheels. My daughter who is about 5'2 also rides a 29. Much smoother ride and you will roll over things that a 26 would stuff the front wheel.   My old mtn bike also bought around '90 has 26" wheels and when I hop on that it just feels like a toy.

You can get a good basic bike for under a grand. I wouldn't think you would need full suspension. Make sure to get disc brakes. Also because I am an old wimp I spent $20 at Nashbar on a suspension seat post that is awesome. Does just enough to take the edge off the really intense bumps.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am 5'-5" and I have a 29er.  I've ridden with NorthernHarrier and we are at about the same level of suck. 

Any reputable bike company will get you a decent bike for $1K.  I personally like the blue on this one!

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/x_caliber_29/x_caliber_8/#

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Also, bike commuting is awesome.  Start as soon as you can!

Running is dumb.

Watoni

I am roadie on the bike (I do not run roads much at all, ironically).

Based on what you are describing you might consider a cross bike as well. Light, nimble, climb fast and can handle a variety of off road conditions.

I sometimes take my "gravel" road bike with 25-28mm tires out and climb dirt roads such as Old Railroad Grade on Mt. Tam or Willow Creek in Sonoma

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Danke Folks!

here's what I'm leaning towards:  I just discovered that REI sells bikes other than there own brand; I have a $400 dividend I was going to use for a fancy GPS watch Big grin, but instead I think I'll put it towards a bike. They also have a 20% off coupon that I can use, I'm leaning towards the Diamondback Axis Pro (the 20% is only valid on Diamondback and REI branded bikes)- it's above my budget ($1600) but has Fox front forks and SRAM X7 and X9 components- it's also a 27.5" kind of a little bit of good from both worlds???  With my dividend and coupon, puts it pretty close to on budget.

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mountain-hardtail-trail-xc-axis-pro-27-5

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

I mainly road bike these days. Until about 2 years ago I was putting on 4-5 thousand miles a year.

My Mtn bike is about 14 years old and I only use it on rough dirt and logging roads any more. I haven't looked at mtn bikes in years so I can't give any real bike advice.

I can, however, give purchasing advice. I have found that those who buy a bike from a bike shop tend to be happier with their purchase then those who buy from a department store or online. The reason seems to be that the bike shops typically have better mechanics that care about biking and know how to adjust the bikes.  I've seen some bad stuff come from some of the online and general sporting goods stores.

As always YMMV and I realize that you may not have the plethora of shops that I have available to me.

AT-runner

Tim

I raced for many years, and still ride a bit.  The 26" vs 29" debate still rages on with racers, and is very regional based on trail conditions.

Hers is a 29" summary I lifted from a from a local Mt. Bike Group  (650B is the 27.5")

What does a 29er do well?

• Rolls over rocks and roots easier due to the wider circumference.
                        • More distance covered per pedal revolution.
                        • Higher air volume in tires smooth out ride.

What are the drawbacks of a 29er?

• Large size equals larger weight.
                        • Harder to maneuver in tight, twisty single track.
                        • Longer travel (5.5″ and higher) 29ers feel REALLY big.
                        • Sizing and geometry issues with smaller riders.
                        • Larger radius needs stiff wheel build and fork to prevent deflection.

Where do you Ride?

• Tight and twisty: 26″ and 650B
                        • Open and rocky: 650B and 29er
                        • Racing and FSR: 29er

On my trails, 26''ers are the way to go because of all the sharp twists and turns.

If you plan to do at least 50% commuting with the bike, 29" is the best choice because of wheel travel per pedal stroke.

Good luck.  I spent my REI dividend on shoes and an Osprey Rev 1.5 pack.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

agreed on the service from a local dealer; we do have a couple of local bike shops and originally was leaning towards a Trek from one of them, it turns out there is a Diamondback dealer in town- hopefully if I have any issues I can get them sorted there- worse case, REI is an hour away- my large dividend kind of put me over the edge on buying out of town

^ definitely some tight & twisty single tracks here (some really open ones too though)- hopefully the 27.5" splits the difference decently

I also grabbed a Rev 1.5 earlier (still not running so it's shiny and new yet) Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

I also grabbed a Rev 1.5 earlier (still not running so it's shiny and new yet) Big grin

I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

NorthernHarrier

I am 5'-5" and I have a 29er.  I've ridden with NorthernHarrier and we are at about the same level of suck. 

Leave it to her for a brutally honest assessment. (heavy sigh) 

Have to take issue with a couple things--nothing like debating opinions ya know!

Small people are fitted to 29er's all the time. It's all about frame geometry.  Get the bike shop to fit the person and it will be perfect. Again my daughter is 5'2" and rides a Specialized 29.

Get used to the ride of those bigger tires and you will not want to ride a 26 again. Technical in my opinion is easier with the bigger wheels as I don't stuff my front wheel into something and go head over tea kettle(been there).

On the other hand hand that line about more travel per stroke may be true but that is very misleading. You still have to push your weight along fighting gravity and drag so you still have to find the gear ratio that will allow an all day cadence. If it was all about distance per stroke all bikes would probably have 60" wheels!  Again I have both a 26 and a 29 and my actual speed over the same course will be pretty close.

The weight issue is very negligible. Not a factor at all in the real world of trail riding.

My running bud also has both wheel sizes and he rides some technical stuff near our homes EVERY DAY.(self-employed)  He won't even get on his 26er anymore.

Now this is awkward as Watoni is a bike guru but my advice is not to get a cross bike or any kind of hybrid. Get a decent mountain bike and that little commute will be a snap and once you gain ability and confidence on the trails you will be thrilled.

NorthernHarrier

I thought a little on how to explain the fit better. If you are riding a unicycle and increase the size of the wheel you will of course be higher up as there is no way to offset the extra height, With a bicycle when you increase the wheel size you offset it by lowering the frame. If you look at someone riding a 29er you will notice that their seat post looks like they have it extended way out. That is just to compensate for the lower frame and still get the proper height for pedaling.

Short people can ride a 29 inch mtn. bike with a perfect fit.  It's simply not an issue.