Trailer Trash

Freak Out Friday (Read 15 times)

LB2

I'll start us off, but I'll be on the move most of the day. I ran a really muggy 4 this morning, long run tomorrow of 15 miles or 2.5 to 3 hours. I don't know what will come first, probably 3 hours. It was 79 at 5:30 this morning.

QOTD: What do you think Walmsley will do this weekend as far as time?

It will be hot, but I think he does well in the heat. I say a new course record will be in at 14:30.

LB2

muppy

5.6 hilly miles yesterday.  It was the first time I actually felt good running in months!

QOTD   From rumors floating around the Internet, they're predicting a new course record by 20 to 30 minutes,  that would be huge !

runtraildc

4 very muggy & sluggish miles this morning with a friend. She seemed to be doing better than me, but she also commented on how dead her legs felt. Still felt like I was chasing her most of the way. She's younger and runs a lot less. Maybe that's the trick? 1 or 2 short runs a week? Or youth?  Could also be the extra weight I'm carrying, if I'm being honest.

qotd: I have no idea, but it will be fun to watch. I'm counting on someone posting the link, since I'm too lazy to look it up when the time comes.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I've had a tough week, took Mon and Tues off from work and haven't

run since Sat. Not sure what's happening, feeling very tired despite

sleeping normal. Plan is to run tomorrow morning for something longish.

QOTD: I had to look up who that was. He sounds strong and focused.

Back to back 140-mile training weeks, wow that's a lot of running.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a nice 4-ish mile hike in with DW and Tiny E, went to our new found "secret" trail

probably will strength train this evening, but am torn as the high will only be 68 today????

qotd: I predict he will not miss a turn this year 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Raining here and looks like that's what it will be most of the day. Remnants of Cindy I guess.  I'll get out for at least 5 miles, hopefully more like 7-9 miles. I really need the miles if I'm going to be successful at my 12 hour race next month.

Found this on the trail when I ran on Thursday .  I'm thinking it's actually set for me as the back end of it is right up against a trail that I'll sometimes run on.  It looked like they had it baited with pastries. If they want to catch me they'll have to bait it with chocolate .

All joking aside, it kind of has me pissed off. This trap is 0.821 miles from the nearest buildings. There are no farm animals around to be bothered. It's the middle of the woods, like the places where a bear is actually supposed to live.  This is the only trail where I will see some people walking and I'd be willing to bet that the bear scared some poor little yuppie so now they want it gone. The next issue is that people constantly feed them, then when they get aggressive it's the bears fault .  The only plausible reason in my mind why this is justified to trap one here would be if it has contacted the mange. It that case if they can get it in time they can treat it or worst case scenario destroy it so the mange doesn't spread.   Ok, time to get off the soap box.

QOTD: I think he'll win and break a record. By how much I have no idea. I'll follow the race, but my focus will be on the oldsters at the back of the pack as normal.

I do wonder how long he will continue to run ultras. It seems like he puts in an insane amount of training time so I wonder if he will burn out.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2193271/jim-walmsleys-wrong-turn-was-catalyst-his-career

Just a link talking about himself and last year.

NorthernHarrier

Back home in southern Wi. Gonna try to get out for some miles around the hood as I am basically waiting for a home service guy.  Luckily I have the time but it is still a little frustrating. I have to get my stuff together as I'll be heading west in 2 days. Still a lot of snow in the real high elevations. You know the mountains are nice but if you can really only access them 3 months a year......

Bears--interesting on the mange thing Daydreamer. Never heard of them with it around here but googling it shows a real problem out your way. Not cool. Another search of bear populations shows that Wisconsin has the highest population in the lower 48 with 35,000. Even more than Washington which I would have thought would be tops. Interesting data at least to me.  I have been within 5' of an adult bear but yet never felt threatened but the recent Alaskan maulings has me rethinking some things. My hippie buddy that I'll be backpacking with in Sept has bears in his backyard all the time and he just shrugs and says that sometimes you just have to fight the bear. Hmmm, probably smoking too much funny stuff I think.  Oh, and that live trap in your picture--hopefully it is for mange  and not just to relocate a troublesome bear as that seldom works as the bears usually travel back to their home area.

QOTD--I know I'm an outlier here but I have no interest and won't pay any attention. However football season is fast approaching. 

Talk to you again in a couple weeks or so.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Wasted the morning in bed and then got up and ran a little over 3 miles.  We went onto the neighbors property and their dogs started backing at us so we took off in a sprint while the dogs Mom was yelling at them to shout up.   Once off their property we stopped and man I was out of breath...did I run that fast or was it the thrill of the sneak?  Gym at lunch.

QOTD:  The link he sent is a good video to watch...I was going to post it.  I would have to look up the record to guess a time but I hope he wins.  I met him at a brewery last year after WS.  Nice guy.  I had planned on working an aid station but getting pressure from the old man to stay home and do chores, we have company coming and we need to blow the pine needles off the roof because you know that's the first place company looks!    I am more relaxed as in their our friends they don't give a shit if we didn't weed before they come.   If I stay home than I will at least have more time for a long run.  Hmmmm

Northern....have a good trip.  Maybe you should hit on that stuff your friend carries around in the baggie. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

re: black bears, 95+% of all black bear deaths are caused by predatory black bears. These are almost always males (board) and almost always older adults (read large).  They are not defensive, agitated and they usually aren't aggressive (at least at first). What they are is usually very calm and calculating.  They are sizing you up for a meal.

Fortunately this is a very rare occurrence, but it does happen. My only "bad" encounter with a bear was with a predatory black bear. This is with dozens of encounters with grizzlies, where all ran off.

If you encounter a black bear with this behavior, you need to discourage it- "get big", be vocal, don't run (consider easing out slowly, but keeping an eye on the bear), if you have bear spray deploy it (ditto on firearm), if the bear attacks fight with whatever you have and don't quit.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

4 easy miles in very muggy conditions keeping an eye out for storms which thankfully did not materialize.

qotd: I think Walmsley is very capable of destroying the record, but in races like WS I do not expect them to run according to plan.

Re: bears. I've been advised by a lot of people to buy and carry bear spray when I'm in Canada for Powderface. I'm not sure I would have the presence of mind to actually be able to use if such a situation occurred, but I'll follow their advice anyway.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Nothing today.  Run early tomorrow and then heading to DC for a National's baseball game.

Went to see DD#2 perform at a Pub last night. She hasn't sung live in a while as she's been fighting depression / anxiety issues, as well as a stint in rehab for prescription and social meds. It was wonderful to see her up there doing what she loves. Great response form the audience and a few people were even recording her with their phones. They want her back next week.  Makes papa and momma very happy to see her smile. 

QOTD:  Heat will be the factor, but I hope he gets a "W" and a record.  I know he knows where to turn now.  Woman's race could be very exciting.  I'll follow while at the game.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!