Trailer Trash

Discuss among Yourselves (Read 68 times)

Among all the endurance sports, 100 mile runs, Century rides, Ironman distance Tri's, etc do you think if you solely trained for one event do you think that discipline could then turn around and finish one of the other events without training for it?

The century ride isn't in the same class as the other events listed.  I could easily do a century ride with zero training.  Heck I could do that before I was even exercising really regularly.  Yes it would have involved some discomfort with no training at all, but it would be doable.  An Ironman Tri or 100 mile run are a whole different animal.  I'd consider it a huge accomplishment if I ever completed either of those.

It would be closer if you compared a century ride and maybe a 10k,  I think anyone who can run a 10k could ride a century.  The other way might only be the case if the century rider had done at least a little running.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

I disagree on the 150 mile bikers being able to run 100 miles.  No way.

Me too.  I have ridden coast to coast a couple times, but my longest day on tour was something a bit less than 150 miles.  I have done a 142 mile day on tour carrying full camping gear, with one minor mountain pass.  I and also done back to back 100+ mile days now and again, also on tour and carrying camping gear.

There is no way in hell I could run a 100 miler or ironman without a ton of training.  I doubt I could if I worked at training full time for a year.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

KreegSauceRuns

The guy who is going to pace me at MMT told me when we first met each other and were getting to know one another that he used to do Ironman's and tri's but it got old.  He said he knew he would finish the race, and so it got to the point where he said 'why'?  So he quit and started ultrarunning and said that running 100's is so much harder because you have no idea how you will do and could possibly not finish.  It's never a guarantee in a 100.

For me though, no way I could swim 2.4 miles.  I probably couldn't even swim .24 miles.  And I doubt I could last on the bike either.  Hell I don't even know if I can run 100 miles. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

Occasional Runner

First off, Crossfit is NEVER on topic here. It's not even a sport, it's a cult.

I used to do triathlons on occasion, not ironman distance, but olympic distance, including a 1 mile swim. I never trained for them and still finished in the top 20% every time. In 2010, I did 4 triathlons and the only cycling and swimming I did was during those races. I thought they were good cross training and they were kind of fun. I feel pretty confident that I could do an ironman tri if I had any interest in it. I quit the triathlon scene because I got tired of the elitist attitude that permeated those races.

I have no doubt I could do a century ride but I know I couldn't wear those silly costumes that cyclists like to strut around in.

Holden McGruyen

Yeah man, what the fuck is up with wearing costumes like that? Is it to show they are capable of whimsy? Jesus shit.

The thing about bicycling is that one can soft-pedal and loaf long enough to cover 100 miles in a day. Doing it under 5 hours is more difficult but in a day? As long as your ass doesn't split in two you can make it.

It's hard to loaf while running. You can't really coast like you can on a bike, and the pounding on the legs takes it out of you.

I think 26.2 miles of running is the analogue to 100 miles of road cycling. How about riding 400 miles in one stretch?

Edit: I don't know Jacques Shet about swimming other than I don't enjoy it.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Yeah man, what the fuck is up with wearing costumes like that? Is it to show they are capable of whimsy? Jesus shit.

yeah, who would want a silly zipper in their shirt to cool down easily...or pockets in the back to hold stuff instead of buying an extra 100 dollar ultralight vest/backpack with 150 cubic inches of space...or shorts with an asspad that doesn't chafe off one's buttcheeks.  Roll eyes

For what it's worth (little to nothing), the world's arguably fastest current trail runner wears spandex shorts that look oh so similar to cycling shorts.  But maybe it's cause he's European and not quite so uptight about tights.

Occasional Runner

yeah, who would want a silly zipper in their shirt to cool down easily...or pockets in the back to hold stuff instead of buying an extra 100 dollar ultralight vest/backpack with 150 cubic inches of space...or shorts with an asspad that doesn't chafe off one's buttcheeks.  Roll eyes

For what it's worth (little to nothing), the world's arguably fastest current trail runner wears spandex shorts that look oh so similar to cycling shorts.  But maybe it's cause he's European and not quite so uptight about tights.

Yeah...I still think it's hilarious. And I find it far more uptight to feel compelled to wear a fully matching kit with corporate logos representing a company that you're not actually sponsored by. I view it as the adult version of dressing up in camo and playing army with the other neighborhood kids.

Runners get hot too. Why don't our shirts have zippers down the front? And we don't even get the benefit of a 30 mph headwind to keep us cool. And we exert way more energy than cyclists....yet, no zippers?

I suppose you're suggesting Killian is fast because he dresses like he does?

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Runners get hot too. Why don't our shirts have zippers down the front? And we don't even get the benefit of a 30 mph headwind to keep us cool. And we exert way more energy than cyclists....yet, no zippers?

I suppose you're suggesting Killian is fast because he dresses like he does?

I think a lot of runners would be happy to have a zipper down the front, I know I've enjoyed running in a non-corporate logo'd cycling top (yes, you can get them without logos) and zipping down the front when going up a grueling climb.  It makes sense, the zippers are light enough and well constructed to not chafe.  I don't know why it's only a cycling thing, although lots of long sleeve winter weight tops can be had in 1/4 zip.  I'm actually thinking of getting some cheapo sleeveless cycling tops with half zips for hot summertime running coupled with the fact that they can be found for cheaper than brand name running tech ts that offer no zippers and no storage space.

to the second question.  certainly not.  But lot's of other sports use mostly skin-tight apparel, there must be some reason.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

To add some personal experience, in my younger days, I could bike 100 miles and not be totally exhausted, but at that time, I was not capable of running a half marathon (on trails, never tried on a road then). And on weekends, I would do, say, 80 miles on Friday, 100 on Saturday, and 50 on Sunday, over mountain passes in the Alps, without thinking too much of it, but 10 or 11 miles was the maximum distance I could run in one stretch.

Now, at older age, I can still swim 2.5 miles (I always did and still do that occasionally without any training, just for fun), but I am not so sure about running 100 miles, I have not yet tried. I find the swimming of 2.5 miles much easier than running a marathon distance, maybe similar to HM. But I've always been great at swimming very efficiently for long periods.

I think som of the difficulty of running 100 miles comes from the long timespan it takes to cover the distance, so "normal fatigue" from lack of sleep adds to the fatigue from running. That's not the case in biking, maybe biking for 24 hours is similar to running 24 hours?

Run for fun.

runfastandie

If I swam I'd drown for sure- or at least back float until I was rescued.

Based on my miles in spin class I could probably do 30 before I died.....that is, if I didn't crash to my death before then.

Andie

Daydreamer1

Some interesting answers and opinions here. When I look at some of the responses I have to wonder if there has been any consideration to the amount of effort put forth. A runner may complete a marathon at race pace, then take a leisurely 100 mile bike ride that they complete in 10 hours and assume that biking is so much easier. To compare the disciplines equitably you have to put forth the same level of intensity for each one. Just as a 100 mile ultra runner can complete a easy, meandering 100 mile bike ride in 10 hours a fast century rider will be able to complete a 100 mile ultra, if they take plenty of time to do so.

The best way to compare disciplines would be to set parameters such as a century had to be completed with minimal stops and in a maximum 6 - 6.5 hour time frame, and the ultra in a "middle of the pack or better" time frame,otherwise the comparisons are mostly meaningless.

My personal opinion is that the 100 mile runner can finish a century but will struggle to be competitive. A 100 mile runner may not be able to finish a Ironman simply due to the swim requirements, this of course would depend on how much of a swimming background the person had.

A Ironman triathlete will probably not finish a 100 mile run but the century ride would be simple for obvious reasons.

A fast century rider will most likely not finish a 100 mile run nor the tri. This is due to not being used to the pounding of the run.

This opinion is based all three being performed at the same intensity level.

Daydreamer1

I think a lot of runners would be happy to have a zipper down the front.

I know I would be. My first trail race I wore my bicycling jersey. It was lovely to be able to unzip and to carry a few jells in the back pockets.

Holden McGruyen

No no, I didn't say team kits. I said costumes.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Daydreamer1

Holden, I was going to comment on those pictures. But, words are failing me at this time. Roll eyes

jmctav23

2/3rds training

hmm, I'm going with lace-up on this one...that shit is silly.  But hey, to each their own.