Trailer Trash

ATY 48 Hr. RR (Read 39 times)

Occasional Runner

Here's my RR for my race this week. My third time running it and my third win, albeit, not an impressive one this year. Thanks for checking it out.

Kelly

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.com/2016/01/2015-across-years-48-hour-race-three.html

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great to see you and Jo there. Those cold nights were a challenge, even when not running. And thanks for the race recommendations.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice Threepeat.

What model of the Tops's are you using?  I like the Runervate's, but can't really use them on the pointy rocky trails.  Wish they had just a bit more protection for PA rocks, other wise they work great on smooth rolling trails.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

Congrats!  Great win. Like your new running buddy.

Occasional Runner

What model of the Tops's are you using?  

It's kinda funny. I planned to run in the Magnifly, which is a road shoe. I accidently packed the wrong shoes and ended up running in the MT-2, which is a trail shoe. I didn't even realize until after the race.

But I wear all their shoes.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, Kelly, seems you ran a very smart race, and your strategy worked out well!

Was the nighttime cold a challenge because of the low temperatures, or because you didn't have the right clothes with you?

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congratulations, Kelly, seems you ran a very smart race, and your strategy worked out well!

Was the nighttime cold a challenge because of the low temperatures, or because you didn't have the right clothes with you?

I was there the entire 6 days. A lot of runners couldn't move fast enough to generate enough body heat to keep themselves warm even with 3-4 layers on. People were walking laps in quilted coats over their running clothes and still feeling cold. It was damp enough that we had frost on the ground several mornings, so the cold was penetrating.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sounds bad. I also notice that when humidity is high, the cold feels much worse than when the air is dry. Sweaty, wet or humid running clothes don't help much, either, even when they are covered by a coat. That's what I fear most about a true winter ultra (and why so far I haven't run one) - and changing shirts when the air is cold, with wet, sweaty skin exposed, isn't exactly my favorite, either. 

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

Sorry for the delay. I've been fighting some terrible cold and have lost motivation to do much.

I think I had the best gear available, but I couldn't get everything balanced properly. If I warmed up, I would sweat, which led to freezing if I slowed down. If I slowed down to reduce sweating, the cold would cut right through me.

Most people don't realize how humid Phoenix is, but that humidity is terrible when it gets below freezing. Utah can be much colder, yet stay far more comfortable in the winter.

bhearn

Sorry for the delay. I've been fighting some terrible cold and have lost motivation to do much.

I think I had the best gear available, but I couldn't get everything balanced properly. If I warmed up, I would sweat, which led to freezing if I slowed down. If I slowed down to reduce sweating, the cold would cut right through me.

Most people don't realize how humid Phoenix is, but that humidity is terrible when it gets below freezing. Utah can be much colder, yet stay far more comfortable in the winter.

I had fun tracking you, along with a few other people. Congrats on another win!

Re humidity, I think it all depends. Weather was great for Desert Solstice, two weeks earlier.