Trailer Trash

Fridaily. (Read 17 times)

LB2

I ran a fast 2 miles this morning. But it sure felt easy. It was a nice, cool 62 degrees, low humidity.

QOTD: When do the horseflies, deerflies, or other biting insects really start to impact your running? And do you do anything that works well to battle them?

Horseflies are just starting to ramp up around the house. May and most of June are problematic.

I try to run before daybreak or in the middle of the day, preferably before daybreak. It gets super warm and muggy down here in late May and beyond.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Not sure of run today. Finished all the bulb planting last night so that job is done for another year. I need to get the gym today at lunch for my planet of fitness routine. Trying to stay consistent there, and while that leaves me the evening for running, the lawn is going crazy right now and needs to be mown again. Maybe I will squeeze a few miles in before the lawn mowing session.

QOTD: Sometime in June. There are certain places where they are more prevalent than others. Someone told me once that dryer sheets can ward them off but I always forget to try it. I don't remember the flies being much of an issue last year but then again I was barely running in the summer.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a really nice evening yesterday- 60 degrees and the lightest sprinkle/mist- perfect!  Tiny E and I got 4 miles in

going to pick up my race packet this evening, they are setting up at Ten Mile Creek Brewery 

might go for a short hike with DW and Tiny E and then just eat downtown

running a local 12k tomorrow, usually run the 30k, but it’s too close to the Bob Open this year

qotd: biting bugs here are very seldom a problem- definitely a blessing; the mountains sometimes will have horse flies, deer flies, mosquitoes- I carry those DEET wipes by Uncle Bens- light/compact and not messy, fortunately don’t have to use them often

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Spending the morning getting ready to go on a little night time hike.  If I feel good come morning maybe I'll keep strolling on throughout the day .  Theoretically I should be able to get in 100k but we shall see.   Not feeling the vibe like other years.

I think George has a race going on this weekend as well, so putting out best wishes to him.  Good luck to any others who are racing or crewing or whatever this weekend.

QOTD:  Depending where you are at, the year, how the weather is etc, the deer flies can get pretty bad. I've seen them from May into September.  When they are bad there is not much that works other then wearing a hat, slapping them and running fast.  I've tried the 2 sided sticky tape with very little success. There are times that I've killed a couple of dozen simply by reaching up and slapping/grabbing them while running. I've abandoned runs because of them. They laugh at DEET for the most part.  But they sure like dive bombing my bald spot .

NorthernHarrier

Drove up to my cabin, arriving about an hour ago to grab a solo canoe and some fishing gear. Heading to the wilds of Ontario in the early dark hours and will be camping on an island tomorrow evening. Running is just a bad habit but wilderness canoeing is one of my passions. Anyway, held back a day just to be more confident that the ice will be gone where I'm planning to head. Related to the qotd, I will be ahead of the black flies and mosquitoes (also any people and they can sometimes be more annoying).

Have good events people. Good luck! 

QOTD-- Black flies will be starting up around the water areas(especially moving water) soon here, then mosquitoes and then deer flies. Horse flies are seldom an issue around here running and I'm so slow these days I can longer outrun mosquitoes. 

I've tried the 2 sided sticky tape with very little success. 

If you are willing to sacrifice a crappy hat, any Steeler or Eagle hat will do, take some actual fly paper and safety pin a strip across the top. It works incredibly well. The other thing I have is a hat with the sun type skirt hanging out the back and that can help a lot. Also keep a bandana in my running bag and will put that on under a running hat or under my mtn bike helmet and have it fluttering over my back of the neck.

See ya in about 10-12 days.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think George has a race going on this weekend as well, so putting out best wishes to him.  Good luck to any others who are racing or crewing or whatever this weekend.

I have the D3 50K tomorrow, but between the temperatures and lack of training I may be walking most of it. I'm anticipating a finish time of 8 hours plus. Past experience makes me extremely leery of the heat.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Walked 4 miles on the beach and ran 4 more on the roads. Really feeling bad about missing the Montour 24. Hope the kids are doing well.

Good luck on a sub 8, 50K, George. You can do it.

QOTD : flies were bad for the first hour at the beach and then wind changed and they went away. As XT said, June is our starting season. Running early in the day helps a bit.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Rest day today, doing a trail marathon in Oakland, CA tomorrow for training.  Weather forecast says low 50s at the start, low 70s in the afternoon.  A tad warm for me but could be far worse.

Have a great day out there, WC.

Warden, enjoy your 12k.  Hate it when bib pick up is at a brewery.  

N Harrier, I've never been canoeing.  Sounds like you've got a nice expedition planned this weekend.

QOTD: no biting or stinging insects here on the coast, aside from the occasional mosquito.  Or swarm of gnats, which do not bite or sting, fortunately, since I inhale them periodically.  Speaking of trail annoyances more broadly, hills around here have ticks and poison oak galore.  I seem immune to the latter and have luckily avoided the former.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

Two decent efforts over Fri and Sat. Lots of walking the ups, and my hip/hamstring is weak and mushy, but nothing hurts any more.  Did 9 mi with 2,390 ft of gain on Fri and 14 mi with 3,300 ft of gain on Sat.  Both done on the great trails on the mountains surrounding the city.  Dare I say that I may be back???

Good luck to all racers this weekend!!!!!

Bert-o, the other day you asked what I was eating here... have had some great galbi and bulgogi (self-cooked on the table bbq thing), the green onion pancake thing, assorted seafood (also self-cooked on the table bbq thing), some sushi. Right now a little bit after my 14 miler, I’m at a pub near the hotel having a bacon cheeseburger with fries. It’s awesome.

qotd: my bug situation is similar to LB2 since we’re sort of neighbors.  I guess we are a few hundred miles apart.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL