Trailer Trash

My cat is jealous of my running (Read 44 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It sounds ridiculous, but my cat is undermining my running ambitions. We have two cats, a male and a female, and I think it is the male who is giving me the trouble. I'm not sure, though, see explanation below.

In all the years running, this has not happened before, it just started a few months ago.

What happens is, I find my running shoes peed on. The running clothes peed on. And not only when the stuff is sweaty and smelly (and kept in an open hemper, and the shoes on a rack), but also when shoes or clothes are freshly washed (I don't wash the shoes often, just hose them down every once in a while, but still. Also happens to my road shoes.) and left in a laundry basket for a few hours, until I put them away.

Now, they are indoor cats, but they do sneak outside every so often for a few minutes, or hours (if we don't notice it immediately). When the male comes home from a self-prescribed outing, the female gets very jealous. She hisses at him, growls at him, and sometimes even attacks him fiercly. So it would not surprise me if she was the one peeing on my "outdoor" stuff.

On the other hand, the male is the one who marks his territory with his distinct smell, and he sometimes does that (indoors) when he notices a stray cat in our yard, too.

I have not caught either of them "in situ", and I'm afraid I never will.

Darn cats. Sorry for the rant.

Suggestions, anyone? (Other than "put your stuff away", or "shoot the cats")

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Before I make suggestions, remember that I am not a cat person - in fact I dislike them.

1.) Leave a note for the cats on your clothes to go pee somewhere else

2.) Put a false set of clothes down and keep letting them pee on that set (just don't forget and wear them!)

3.) Set up your boys race car track with the clothes on top (current ON) and ...well....prepare a good story for the kids on why the cat is now named "sparky" (be sure to set up a video camera)

4.) Take the darn cats on a run with you.  They are obviously trying to tell you something.

5.) Get - rid - of - cats.  (the best advice ever!)

Oh btw - 77 days to OC 100.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Jamie, you just made me laugh out loudly, I almost fell from the chair! Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. Wink

Well, one or another.

How about pacing me at OC100? Still up to it?

I got the days off work confirmed, so I'll be at the start, no matter what.

Run for fun.

Will run for scenery.

Cats loooooove entertainment.

Bring Mr. Whiskers with you !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

This looks great. I can probably manage to add my hydration bladder to the pack, too.

And the cat looks just like mine!

On second thought, I won't even need to take food with me then - cats are edible, right?

Run for fun.

Will run for scenery.

Kidding aside, that is a strategy cats have.  My sister's cat poops in her shoes if she's gone too long.  Very deliberately into the shoes.

I'm much luckier.  My male would never do his bidness outside his precious litter box, and it stresses him out immensely when the female fails to comply.

The female is pretty eager to please but she can get upset if the litter box isn't clean enough.   Her first choice alternative is on my sweaty socks.  But besides those moments  she absolutely loves to curl up on my clothes - clean or dirty.

So the take-away is that cats are super-senitive to smells.  And they're nuts.  IOW, nothing to add here....

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jamie, you just made me laugh out loudly, I almost fell from the chair! Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. Wink

Well, one or another.

How about pacing me at OC100? Still up to it?

I got the days off work confirmed, so I'll be at the start, no matter what.

I am 89.375% sure I should be up to it.  Give me a week and I will email or PM you with a more definitive answer.  I have been using July as a measuring stick to see how my feet are holding up.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

My cat's actually the opposite.  Not only does he not object to my stinky shoes and clothes, he helps me do my core work.  When I get down on my yoga mat he is right there, demonstrating just how much more flexible he is than I am.  He also crawls under my planks to make sure I don't cheat.  Sometimes he decides I need added weight and climbs on, instead.  And if I haven't done my exercises in a few days he sits on my yoga mat and meows to remind me.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

My cat's actually the opposite.  Not only does he not object to my stinky shoes and clothes, he helps me do my core work.  When I get down on my yoga mat he is right there, demonstrating just how much more flexible he is than I am.  He also crawls under my planks to make sure I don't cheat.  Sometimes he decides I need added weight and climbs on, instead.  And if I haven't done my exercises in a few days he sits on my yoga mat and meows to remind me.

What a wonderful cat!

However, mine gives me post-workout massages (including accupuncture treatment) every evening!

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I am 89.375% sure I should be up to it.  Give me a week and I will email or PM you with a more definitive answer.  I have been using July as a measuring stick to see how my feet are holding up.

If it's easier on you, you can do the 50k-loop only, and I'll have a second pacer (or none) for the final 7+ mile loop.

Run for fun.