Trailer Trash

GPS accuracy (Read 39 times)

Chnaiur

Finally some actual measurements:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

In short: the best watches are 2% off on average, and the worst 8%.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

AT-runner

Tim

The math part of my brain says this is pretty near stuff, the logical side says this guy has way too much free time.

I use my Garmin 910 mostly for mapping where I was and to see if I can connect sections together.  When DW runs with me and is wearing her Garmin 110, we always hit mile marks at different points.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

The math part of my brain says this is pretty near stuff, the logical side says this guy has way too much free time.

I use my Garmin 910 mostly for mapping where I was and to see if I can connect sections together.  When DW runs with me and is wearing her Garmin 110, we always hit mile marks at different points.

This

You people have issues 

XtremeTaper

I need to figure out how to put a gps on my gsp.

I am pretty sure she runs π/2 times as many miles as I do per run.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I need to figure out how to put a gps on my gsp.

I am pretty sure she runs π/2 times as many miles as I do per run.

I would love to see what Bella runs to my runs too.  Crazy dogs.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Wait. I thought you ran Bella on a leash? LadyB zings in and out of the woods in sine wave fashion. Thus my theory.

I see you are walking again!   :happydance:

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Wait. I thought you ran Bella on a leash? LadyB zings in and out of the woods in sine wave fashion. Thus my theory.

I see you are walking again!   :happydance:

I do, mostly.  Sometimes we run in the dog park, where she is free to do whatever since it's fenced in.

Yes, walking Smile  Slow progress, but progress!

Running is dumb.

Watoni

Big difference in my opinion as between road and trail. Road is generally spot on, especially in cycling. Last year I did a 206.1 mile ride tat showed as 206.7, and I may have in fact ridden the extra going in and out of rest stops, zig zagging up a few climbs, etc.

In the redwoods here, and especially with tons of switchbacks, GPS is always off quite a bit due to the sampling rate. Some of the newer devices have an internal accelerometer (no need for a footpad) that shifts on in tunnels or other places the device loses connectivity.

All in all they can be useful tools. Honestly then new Strava apps are likely the best on known routes since they can give you real time feedback on segments such as climbs. If it takes you 20 minutes to do a climb from point to point, you can compare your performance no matter what the various GPS devices say.