Trailer Trash

Rattlesnakes in PA - Do we have to fear them? (Read 24 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I found this article interesting, especially because it quotes a few numbers/statistics.

BTW, the pattern of the rattlesnake in the picture is similar to that of some rattlesnakes at the famous snake den at Eastern States. I think the "brown" pattern is rather rare, in my experience, the "yellow", "tan", or "black" varieties are much more common.

http://www.marathonguide.com/news/newsviewer.cfm?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecentredaily%2Ecom%2F2015%2F09%2F02%2F4902151%2Frunning-prokop-to-defend-mount%2Ehtml

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

The link just led me to a article on the marathon. I did a little searching, found the article, and this link might work better.

http://www.centredaily.com/2015/09/05/4906578/on-the-trail-by-learning-about.html

I fear snakes, especially poisonous ones. That being said I don't let it stop me from running the trails. I will however do my best to avoid running through overgrowth on the trails.

I've been told that most rattlesnake bites here in the northeast are dry bites as the snake doesn't want to waste venom on something they can't eat.

I has also read an account of the Davis death where they claimed that he had been administered anti venom at a small hospital and was being flown to a larger hospital when he suffered the allergic reaction and died. The explanation was that he had been previously exposed to horses and that is what sensitized him to the anti venom.  If, however, he had been bit before, or ever handled venomous snakes then he could have been sensitized to the actual venom itself.

I'm glad they point out that they can get up to 6+ feet. I saw one that had to be that long 12-15 years ago while mtn biking. No one would believe me except for a few old timers.

There is no way in this world that I would let a rattler live in my shed or barn. No frikin way. Just ain't happening. Not that I'm scared of them or anything , just ain't happening, Mr snake will have to find a new home.

NHLA

Before it was DuPont Forest only the Dupont employees could use the property.

They had a safety course for snakes. The instuctor was almost an hour late.

When he showed he apoligized it took him a little long to catch the coral snake.

He had cought every poisionous snake in eastern US one mile from where they were having the class.

Made an impression.

The copperhead are the worst. You can't see them and they are aggressive.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Argh, dang, I copied the wrong link (I usually try it out before posting, but forgot this time). Thanks for posting the correct one, DD1!

I just left the marathon article, in case someone wants to read that one, too. 

And yeah, I was wondering if I'd let a rattler live in my shed. Without kids, maybe.

At least Timber Rattlers are not aggressive. Usually, even if you step right in front of them, or jump over them, they'll rather retreat than strike (no guarantee there, though).

I did not know about the death of the guy in PA, and I'm glad I didn't. Would for sure have kept me from running on "Rattlesnake Mountain" (Bald Knob ridge) with DD! (I always come across rattlers there, but so far have not thought of them as too dangerous, if I'm careful).

Run for fun.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Living in AZ's desert where western diamondbacks are prevalent, my opinion is a healthy respect for them (and all animals) but don't fear them.  In the hundreds of times I've been out on the trails I've seen a total of 3 rattlers while I've seen probably 50 non-poisonous snakes.  We're fortunate in that we don't have tons of cover on our trails unlike the east where foliage gives them great cover.  They're usually pretty easy to see and/or they let you know of their presence (2 out of the 3 I've seen have rattled to let me know "stay away dipshit").

You people have issues 

AT-runner

Tim

I've seen at least 5 rattlers this year in PA and 1 copperhead. I have also heard most timber rattler bites are dry ones, with the exception of young snakes who inject with all bites.  In 16 years of running trails, I have only had 1 rattler that made me divert.  This snake was coiled and not happy at all that I was near.  He followed my every move and I had to bushwhack to get around him.  All other snakes usually can't wait to get away from me.

The darn copperheads aren't nice enough to warn us that they are near. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!