Trailer Trash

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim Report (Read 56 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks for sharing this adventure, it is just inspiring.

Sounds like it was really hot. I just wondered how one would fare if you started out at, maybe 10 or 11 p.m., or are there restrictions on parking, trail use, etc.?

Run for fun.

FTYC, I don't think there are any restrictions on time.  When I was hiking out, I met a couple of guys that were just getting started, this was about 130 am.  One of the things about a night hike, you miss a lot of the scenery.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Low_O2

Wow, sounds like an awesome(and long) day in the Canyon! Congrats on getting it done despite the issues. This is definitely on my must do list. Thanks for sharing.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Congratulations and thanks for sharing...I'm throughly convinced this is not something I want to take on. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Just able to read this.  Wow.  I don't know where you and your friends are from but I wonder if you normally run in a not-so-dry place.  I remember lace-up in a RR talking about the dry conditions really affecting him.  This maybe has more of an effect when you do not usually run in that type of condition--not just the heat but the lack of humidity.

Your adventure running with your friends made me wonder if I ever want to do this with others or solo.  Of course having other people at least gives some sort of safety net but it slows you down too.

I guess an end of May early June R2R2R is frowned upon huh? (due to higher temps).

Congrats to you.  That is admirable.  Despite some of the suffering, I enjoyed your report.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Just able to read this.  Wow.  I don't know where you and your friends are from but I wonder if you normally run in a not-so-dry place.  I remember lace-up in a RR talking about the dry conditions really affecting him.  This maybe has more of an effect when you do not usually run in that type of condition--not just the heat but the lack of humidity.

Your adventure running with your friends made me wonder if I ever want to do this with others or solo.  Of course having other people at least gives some sort of safety net but it slows you down too.

I guess an end of May early June R2R2R is frowned upon huh? (due to higher temps).

Congrats to you.  That is admirable.  Despite some of the suffering, I enjoyed your report.

Jamie- My only regret when I did R2R2R was that I did it solo. It ended up that way because it was a spontaneous decision when we happened to be traveling a route that would take us near the south rim and I had time to kill. I was doing it as a fast run, so being alone had that advantage, but I would have enjoyed it far more with a friend or two. As it turns out, I didn't really enjoy it that much and wouldn't waste my time running it again. There are a lot of amazing places within driving distance that I would likely enjoy more.

May or June??? Get that nonsense out of your head!

SheCan

Congratulations, what a wonderful, impressive journey you and your friends had.  I'm so glad you all made it out safely, and are left knowing you did it.  This report is so interesting, and is probably the closest I'll ever come to doing something like this.  Thank you for sharing, and I can't wait to hear about your next adventure!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I think the "dry" heat may have contributed for sure.  We live in the midwest, so we do have humidity here.  I have no regrets about doing it with my friends, and slowing down for them.  I firmly believe I could do this in 15 hours on a good day.  But it was an experience, not a race, and I'm good with it for now.  We may go back next year and try again.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

muppy

Congratulations to you and your friends! Seems like you had a good time even with the tough conditions!

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! I enjoyed the report. What a great adventure.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

Congratulations. That sounds like it was an amazing adventure. I have a friend who did this several years ago. He was running with a group of friends, one was an orthopedic surgeon who actually broke his ankle in the first 4 miles of the run. They left him to crawl back up to the top and wait or try to drive himself to the hospital. I don't remember the end to that part of the story, but everyone made it back out.

I can definitely relate to the "never get blisters..." part of your story. I have had several races for which I had prepared and thought I had experienced every possible difficulty. I "never" get blisters or hot spots in training. I often end up with blisters or hot spots in races or whatever the "big event" I was training for turns out to be.

LB2