Trailer Trash

Thursday (Read 29 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got out for about 7 this morning (queen - better get on it today!)  Wasn't a great run but I have certainly had worse.

QOTD: Have you ever saved anyone's life?

I have not but I figure someone in here has a good story to tell.

Have a great Thursday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning!  I walked the dog for 4 miles last night.  Not sure if I'll run tonight or not.  I need to figure out what our weekend plans are first, since I don't want to run two days in a row.  I get my new Altras in the mail tomorrow

QOTD: Sorry Jamie, no good stories from me!

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Good morning... a decent 7 miles last night on the easy side of Green Lane. Rush hour out there or so it seemed. Several mountain biker encounters for me and Lady. Everyone is out enjoying the fall and the last few days of evening daylight. I think I'll hit Coventry Woods this evening for some peace and quiet.

QOTD: Not really. My BIL and I did help some poor drunk gal climb out of the Crystal River down in FL last year. We were out having dinner and drinks at a place on King's Bay and there was boating party getting hammered at the tiki bar. This gal staggered down the dock and fell in trying to hop on her boat. We were watching her and saw it coming.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NHLA

10 or 12 miles this afternoon. Haven't decided where I'm running yet.

qotd   I saw the child going twards the current and screamed at his mother but she was not paying any attention.

These were class 3 rapids and a small child. I ran across the soapstone and got ahead of him and snached him out of the water.

A friend pulled a kid out of the same rapids ridding in the front of my canoe and we didn't flip over.

Daydreamer1

Worked a 8 hour overnight shift last night and slept for 6 1/2 of those hours . Sometimes it's nice to have a job where you can get away with sleeping .  Still tired though. Guess I'll load up on caffeine and push through the day.   After DW gets done baking some woopie pies, we'll go shopping and spend some money.  After that I hope to get in 7+ miles.

QOTD: I guess I'll have to admit that I have. Given my job it may sound strange that I put it that way, however, there are a few reasons why I did. First I don't like when people call me a hero or a lifesaver. I look at myself as just another cog in the wheel. Secondly, it really rarely occurs. Most of our calls involve people who really aren't that sick to begin with. We also get a lot of calls where people are sick but are not going to die before they get to the hospital even without treatment. Third, it's really difficult sometimes to know if you saved a life or just made them feel better.  All that aside though, there have been occasions where if I had not been there the person would not be here now.  A few stand out.

One was a young child that had asthma. He had an attack on a Saturday morning but didn't want to wake his parents. When he was starting to feel like he was going to pass out he called 911, told them he couldn't breathe and dropped the phone. The operator called back, his Dad heard the phone and woke up. He met us at the door with the kid barely conscious. I got him turned around and speaking by the time we got to the hospital. He remembered me walking though the door and thinking that he was going to die.

Another was a older man who decided to have a heart attack and die in front of me. It was touch and go for awhile but he survived. The reason that one stands out is that he had a close relative who was a nationally known, possibly world renowned physician.  Can't give out the name of the Physician or what he specialized in due to HIPPA.

I could pose the question of, What medication do you think I give the most that saves lives?  It would be interesting to hear your guesses. It's really simple sugar water. Yep, that's right.  Dextrose in water is what we use to treat diabetics with hypoglycemia. Without it we would have thousands of people dying every year.  If they wouldn't die they would have a stroke before they could be gotten to the hospital.

I've climbed into my share of crashed vehicles or pulled people out of other situations where they were in distress. In most of those cases it's difficult to say that I saved their life, but I guess if they had been left there they would have died.

Daydreamer1

NHLA - It's good that you were paying attention and ready and willing to act.  I often find that more people are saved by the actions of non public safety workers than by Fire, police and EMS. We often get there after the person has already been rescued.

QOTD: Have you ever saved anyone's life?

I have not but I figure someone in here has a good story to tell.

Jamie - Are you really sure that you haven't?  I know you work in psychology and I believe that you have some direct patient interaction.  It is very possible that you have counseled someone who was planning suicide or a act of violence and they decided not to go through with the plan.  Sometimes one never knows the impact you may have on another's  life.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

NHLA - It's good that you were paying attention and ready and willing to act.  I often find that more people are saved by the actions of non public safety workers than by Fire, police and EMS. We often get there after the person has already been rescued.

Jamie - Are you really sure that you haven't?  I know you work in psychology and I believe that you have some direct patient interaction.  It is very possible that you have counseled someone who was planning suicide or a act of violence and they decided not to go through with the plan.  Sometimes one never knows the impact you may have on another's  life.

DD - I knew you would have some stories.  I love it.  You have restored my faith in EMTs!! 

As far as me "saving a life" - I guess like you I do not think of it that way but I did work as a D & A counselor for 6+ years and worked with many men who had "hit rock bottom".  I saw some great success and who knows which of them would have gone out and overdosed.  We are currently seeing another spike in heroin overdoses resulting in death over the last few years.  The reason being is because people get clean, relapse, and hit up the same or similar amount of heroin right away. This combined with the changes in the heroin that is available now equals disaster.  I remember a some younger guys that were hardcore heroin addicts.  That stuff is nasty.  I also remember working with a few very distraught guys who seemed like they were at the end of their rope and contemplating ending it all.

Thanks DD - bringing back some of those memories made my day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

12.7 miles yesterday on the" leaves are hiding all the roots and rocks" Appalachian trail and some rail trail.

QOTD  Don't sell yourself short Jamie, sometimes just talking to somebody (especially an alcoholic or addict's) can save somebody's life.  Can't say I've ever saved somebody's life.  The rehab where my girlfriend works at , one of the clients left and hung himself in the woods last night.  they didn't find him till this morning .

runtraildc

Hi all. Easy day planned.  Yesterday ended up short, 4 miles, as the legs felt like lead (mostly the hips, due to a 'restorative' yoga class the day before).  Today is a quick treadmill run before another yoga class.  And today is little DS's birthday.  My 'baby' is no longer such and is now a teenager.   Making him a key lime pie, per his request.

qotd:  Nope.  And this is heavy, but interesting reading today!  Good question, Jamie.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Had DS's conference at school this morning, then contacted my doc about my chigger bites from last July (got the biopsy report, and it was not pretty - mutant monster chiggers seems about right), and now have a doc's appointment coming up for my thumb. It's the thumb I bent on my fall two days ago - yesterday morning, it hurt a lot, and I am unable to use it because I have no strength in it. DD already warned me they are going to put it into a cast for 4 weeks. If this has to be, so be it. Better get it over with now, than wait 8 weeks and need to have it done then.

Oh man, do I feel old and sick right now. 

Trying to get in a run after all that, probably just rail to trail for an easy slog. I "ran with the PSU XC Team" yesterday - technically. Of course, they did their own gig, while I was jogging around the same loop at my own pace (which was about half the speed of the XC runners). Pretty impressive, those young runners!

Jamie: I agree with DD1, you certainly had a pivotal influence on a few people's life, just you don't know it.

XT: As I said yesterday, you must be some kind of local celebrity. Even mountain bikers chasing you. Oh, wait, no - it's your dog who gets the attention. Never mind. 

Good stories!

QOTD: I've helped people at traffic accidents, but I am not sure if I actually saved lives there. I remember a few attempts that ended tragically, not through my intervention, but there was nothing I could do as a layman.

DH saved our son from choking on a coin, and my mom saved me from choking on a gummy bear (as and adult, and I would have died without her help).

Run for fun.

NHLA

Daydreamer  I forgot about pulling a friend out of a diabetic coma.  Gave  him OJ and he came back. The first time you see this it scares the shit out of you. After that you can see the signs and head it off.

The sign said you might die if you go over this fall and listed how many people had died there. Of course one asshole had to try it.

It did not go well. He was trapped in the horseshoe and going backwards. His wife took off to try to help but I resrained her because she would drowned. My friends held her screaming. He was on his own. I climbed close to him and screamed just let go. Don't fight it.  He popped up downstream. ( this could have gone either way ) Then he went into shock. Carried him to nearest house and got him to hospital.

Just had a flashback of the kids face that I pulled out of the rapids. He stated crying and saying thank you over and over.

LB2

10 after work.

QOTD:

Yes. My brother and I saved my sister's life when she was a small child (about 6). My brother ran through the house with her in hot pursuit. He ran out the French door and shut it behind him. She tried to hit him, but her hand when through the pane. An artery in her wrist was severed, causing blood to spew everywhere. We had just finished a first aid class at church a few weeks prior. We applied direct pressure with a bath towel and my aunt, who was watching us while my parents were gone, drove us to the hospital 14 miles away. The doctor said that if we hadn't acted as quickly as we did she would have never made it to the hospital.

I have also had my life saved. In August of 1997, I fell 30 feet while trying to put up a deer stand. I fell into a jumble of saplings that I had cut off as shooting lanes; they looked like a pungee sticks: sharp, pointed sticks cut off at about 24 inches high. I had a friend with me who was standing nearby. I landed with a solid thud. I had a cut sapling next to my left ear; one about mid torso on my left side; one under my arm pit on my right side; and one right between my legs. How I wasn't impaled is a miracle. My friend ran over to check on my, thinking I must be dead. Finally, I was able to take a breath; I wiggled my toes and fingers, but I knew I had serious problems. He was going to go to my parents; house to call an ambulance, but I argued that I would be dead from shock by the time he returned. Despite it being a stupid idea, I managed to convince him to help me get up. I figured I had broken ribs, and at least one punctured lung. We got to the hospital, and I had no broken bones. I could tell you many stories of people who have fallen from far lower elevations that either ended up dead or paralyzed. I thank God everyday that I am alive and able to do the things I do. And most of my light-hearted attitude about life is the result of the perspective I gained from these two incidents.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Very nice 5.66 even, beautiful sun rise and pretty yellows.  My forest is oaks to very little color.  I was happy until I heard Jamie ran 7 this morning.   screw it I'm still happy.  We are heading to the coast tomorrow for 4 days of relaxing and Jamie isn't. 

QOTD:  Maybe?  Once we canoeing and just finished lunch.  When my Dad pushed off the canoe tipped.  It had my niece in it and she maybe five and I knew her life jacket wasn't secured yet.  She didn't pop up because she was under the boat so I jumped in and got her.  They seemed to think I saved her since everyone else froze.

DD might be able to go on forever In this question.    Oh just saw his post...it's big   I have to read later...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

jonferg67

Endless trails

I had a sweet run yesterday on new to me trails in Harriman SP, the trailhead

parking lot was full but the trails were empty. Weird. I'm heading out soon to

get some more of that good fall running.

Leave it to the psychologist to ask the heavy questions.

QOTD: Yes, but saving lives was kind of built into my previous career. My very

first rescue came before I even joined the CG, when I was 12 my brother rode

his bike off a pier, in February. I climbed down a ladder, pulled him out and

rode his hypothermic ass home on my bike.

I've also had my life saved by a D & A counselor, but that's a story for another time.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Going to try to get in a long run today, but that's questionable a day after intervals.

QOTD: I happened to be nearby when my in-laws noticed my nephew was floating face down in the pool. They pulled him out in time. Other than myself that's the closest I've come to saving anyone. I figured I saved my own life twice because I listened to pre-outing instructions and was able to follow them. Once I was thrown out of a raft while white water rafting. The first time I came up I was under the raft and I went down again. I was sure I was going to drown. When I came up again I was too far from the raft for anyone to reach me, so I did as the guides had instructed us in this case, feet down stream and let the current carry me. I managed to miss all the rocks and was picked up after we reached calm water. The second time was hiking in Glacier NP. We were hiking across a patch of snow when it gave way under me and I started sliding downhill toward a 1000 ft drop off into a lake. Again I remembered what the guides told me and jammed my hiking poles into the snow to slow my slide, after which the guide carefully descending to help me back up to the trail.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.