Trailer Trash

2015 Howl at the Moon RR (Read 28 times)

charlesmoman

This year was the 25th anniversary of the Kennekuck Runners 8-hour ultra "Howl at the Moon" event.

This year the number was bumped up to 350 runners and will not increase any further.

It sold out, I think, in less than 12 hours this year on Earth Day.

The Howl was my first ultra and I accidentally in 2011, almost got a 50K - and I did not know what a 50K was!

I did my first official marathon later in November at Indy at the Monumental.

Last year, I went to the Howl to walk after my March accident - and I did.

I eked out a VERY slow half marathon and stopped.

I was just happy to be at an event for the first time since the dust up on Highway 37 in Bedford.

As usual, I made a little video about the race. My friend, Dot, demands I do them and this time she is in it because she was running too.

I found out later that a drone was filming so here are a few shots of the race from the aerial view - sweet.

Race report: 2015 Howl at the Moon RR

Howl overhead

MY wife and I were set up here - you mean you can't tell which is our bronze Grand Marquis?

Howl Overhead 2

The view down runner's row - the race starts at the junction and heads down (bottom of the photo).

On the course

In the lower right corner, I am in the red shirt, with my friends,  Dot in neon green and Christy next to us.

LB2

Nice report, Charles. It seems like you have really made a great recovery, and I couldn't be happier for you. I can't imagine spending 3 minutes in a port a potty in the heat like your friend, Dot. Congratulations to both of you. Good luck with your upcoming events.

LB2

charlesmoman

Here is our little spot marked in red. We got there on Friday before noon to set up. A lot of people had already set up their "camp". It filled up fast that afternoon.

Here we are!

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job Charles. You've come a long way in a year and a half. Do you do any talks for accident victims?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

charlesmoman

I have not done any talks to accident victims.

I have talked to a few classes about consequences, responsibility, etc.

NHLA

Congrats!  Like the drone shots. Looks like fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing.  Keep chugging along...your persistence is great to see.  Most people would have given up a long time ago.  You definitely embody the ultra spirit! Keep it up.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

You came a long way since the accident,  congratulations!

charlesmoman

Thanks - it has been quite a journey, for sure.

My ortho doc said it may never feel the same when I run or jog, and so far that is true.

But despite that, I am very grateful to be moving as well as I do.

Hopefully, the criminal and insurance sides of this event will be finished later this fall.

charlesmoman

Thanks - it has been quite a journey, for sure.

My ortho doc said it may never feel the same when I run or jog, and so far that is true.

But despite that, I am very grateful to be moving as well as I do.

charlesmoman

I thought I was editing my first statement - sorry about the repeat.

I was going to add that I can't answer any questions about the legal or insurance stuff right now.