Trailer Trash

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim Report (Read 56 times)

Just completed a R2R2R crossing this past Saturday down at the Grand Canyon.  Here's my report if you're interested in the details.  It's lengthy, so skim for the info.

http://completingbutnotcompeting.blogspot.com/2014/05/grand-canyon-rim-to-rim-to-rim.html

Thanks for reading. And thanks for all the advice that many of you have given over the previous few months.  It was a wonderful adventure, priceless memories, and something that I'll never forget.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

runtraildc

Congratulations to all three of you!  And thanks for the report-- a long run deserves a long report, and it was an interesting read.

Gator eye

Great write up.

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for the write up.  Glad you all made it out and you and your friends should be proud of your accomplishment.  No warning about the orthotics causing blisters before this run?  How did the hiking shorts do as far a chaffing?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT, I didn't have any problem with orthotic in the 4 weeks leading up to the run, but in retrospect, I guess I'm not surprised. I do remember feeling pressure in the heel from time to time, but I never developed any blisters before the run.  It was a catch 22, I really needed the insert I think for my arch, but it compromised my heal a bit.  I have a post run followup with my doc in a couple of weeks, will see if there's anything he needs to adjust.

As far as the hiking shorts, I wore a pair of Columbia Silver Ridge convertible pants, with the zip off legs.  I wanted to have leg protection in case in got too cool, and also wanted all the extra cargo pockets in the shorts.  They actually worked great.  I wore a pair of compression shorts underneath.  No chafing at all, and had been training in them for about 3 months prior to the run itself.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

congrats on the finish!  it is a very tough endeavor to be sure- about half of our group went via Bright Angel, the other half South Rim (I was in this group)- everyone was totally spent from both routes Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jonferg67

Endless trails

Congratulations to you and the other two runners, what an accomplishment. I really enjoyed your

report; I felt the heat, I sensed that feeling of knowing whats down there in the dark. I've only been

there once, during the day, briefly, but it's an awe-inspiring place.

AT-runner

Tim

As far as the hiking shorts, I wore a pair of Columbia Silver Ridge convertible pants, with the zip off legs.  I wanted to have leg protection in case in got too cool, and also wanted all the extra cargo pockets in the shorts.  They actually worked great.  I wore a pair of compression shorts underneath.  No chafing at all, and had been training in them for about 3 months prior to the run itself.

I'll have to look into those.  I've tried a pair from REI for some fast packing and the seems chafed my thighs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Wow, what an adventure and a huge accomplishment.  I've never been to the Grand Canyon so I can't even really imagine what that must have been like.  How are you recovering?

**Ask me about streaking**

Daydreamer1

Great write up. I knew you were contemplating this and hoped you would post about it.

I'm planning on running from the south rim down to Phantom ranch and back up to the south rim. I'll be doing this the 23rd or 24th of this month. I'm not in shape for a R2R2R and can't make the logistics of a rim to rim work so I'll have to settle for a rim to river to rim. Plans are to leave the South Kaibab trailhead just before the morning mule rush hour begins, go down to Phantom ranch then return up the Bright Angel trail. So I have a few questions.

What were the temperatures that you encountered at the bottom of the canyon?

You mentioned that you ran out of water going back up the south rim. Wasn't there any water available at Indian Gardens?

Did you feel that the trekking poles helped?

I'll be going alone and will be using my Camelbak with a 100 oz bladder and I'm hoping to get down to the river by 7 am. If so I should be able to beat the worst of the heat.  Does anyone know how much shade I might find on the Bright Angel trail on the way back up. I'm thinking that since the sun will be coming over the rim that I'll be pretty much exposed.

Jamezilla, My legs actually feel pretty good because there was so much walking.  The blister that I had is taking a long time to heal, still hurt today with my shoes on, so no running yet, but otherwise, the legs are ready.

Daydreamer, I think you've set up a good plan.  Do what you can safely do and not get in over your head.

For your questions, the day we ran, it got to about 95 down at the bottom during the afternoon.  Leading up to that of course was not as warm.  As a reference, we left at 320 and it was in the mid 30s. Got to Phantom Ranch about 920, and it was already 70. I suspect by the time you go, it will be much warmer.  You can use this link to get the forecast for Phantom Ranch.  On that page, at the bottom, there are also links for the graphical and tabular forecast, so you can get a feel for how temps would change hour by hour.

I ran out of water because I didn't anticipate needing that much since it's only 5 miles from the Ranch to Indian Garden, so I didn't carry enough.  But it was still hot, even though the sun went down, and I was already fighting dehydration, so I should have filled up, but I left without putting any in my bladder. But there is water at Indian Garden year round.  I don't think you'll run out of water since you're going in the morning.  I could have filtered water out of the creek which you will cross a couple of times going up to Indian Garden too.  You'll also have water at 3 mile and 1 1/2 mile, so carrying 100oz may be a bigger load than you'll need.

You may also find that the climb up Bright Angel could still be shaded, depending on how long it takes you to get down, since it will take a while for the sun to rise high enough to get over the canyon wall.

And I think the trekking poles were invaluable for me.  They helped me going down by distributing my body weight on 4 points instead of just 2, and took a lot of the strain off my knees.  They helped me stay balanced too on uneven terrain.  I also use them going up, helping to ensure that I don't lean forward too far, and they also help push me up the hill if you use them right.

Have a great trip, you'll love it.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Damn. That's an adventure. Looking forward to my R3 in the fall. Thanks for the write up.

You people have issues 

Birdwell

Good job! I totally agree about trying to get a rhythm going down that Bright Angel trail. It's a rotten trail.

I'm looking at another attempt late fall or early spring (next year). I'm determined to make it the whole way this time.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Ok.  I'll be the one to say it...

...I think you and your friends got lucky.  I hope you take this opportunity to look back at what happened over the course of your trip and learn from what happened here.

From your write up you sound like you were better conditioned for this than were your two friends.  But there were many things that made me cringe while reading your RR.  Signs and symptoms of heat injuries.  Not topping off water.  Leaving people when there was concern for hypothermia (after concerns for heat injuries) and then praying they made it out?

It is understandable that these type of adventures are about the determination of the human spirit in reaching a goal.  The challenge, however, is continuing on while making smart decisions.  Based *only* on your write up there were an awful lot of questionable decisions.

Could something be lost in the translation?  Perhaps.

Glad you all survived.  It's certainly something to talk about.  But damn.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Cookie Monster, some of those are valid concerns.  The other two guys are seasoned ultra runners, both have completed 100 milers and have been running for years.  One of the guys has been running his whole life.  And both ran a 50 miler at the end of March, so they were as well conditioned as I.  They just got sick, which slowed us down.  Yes, the not filling up with enough water was my mistake.  By then, it was dark, and I thought it would be cooler, I also knew that water was only another mile up when I ran out.  So maybe it sounded more dire than it really was.   I do regret leaving my buddies in the last section.  The one guy (lifetime runner) was actually feeling a lot better, he wasn't sick anymore, and was taking care of other one, so I felt comfortable enough that it was his turn to get the other guy out.  Those two are best friends, so I already knew that the 1 guy was taking care of the other one, which I guess I didn't mention in the report (I should add that, because it is important).  I feel we did make smart choices though.  You adapt to the situation.  When the guys got sick, all time goals went out the window.  Survival became more important.