Trailer Trash

Wild Woman Wednesday (Read 17 times)

Daydreamer1

Doing some work from home today then I'll head up on the mountain for a long run. Looking at about 15 miles, maybe more.

So last week DW and I went shopping to get her a new means of conveyance.  Ended up dropping a few dollars on a cycle for her.

This is what she thinks we got for her . But.............

It actually looks more like this .

What it really looks like. A Raleigh Detour IE. Electric bike. 36Volts with a 250W mid-mount assist motor. That's almost as much power as I turned out when I was training to ride up Mt Washington .   The stupid thing cost me  more than my carbon fiber Specialized Roubaix Elite did .

Took it for a ride yesterday and did 22.2 miles. I used to have to wait for her all the time and if it was windy she really struggled. Yesterday she totally blew me away a couple of time and that was on the lowest power setting.  Once we stopped at the bottom of  a pretty steep hill, about 8% grade, and when we started out I went buzzing around her and gave my best roadrunner  beep, beep .  She put some extra power to the thing and gave chase like Wile E. Coyote. When she passed me she was cackling and making fun of me being slow. At least she was nice enough to wait for me at the top of the hill. After the ride she was still fairly tired out because she didn't just let the bike do all the work.  She was riding that thing like a wild woman I tell you .

QOTD:  Any experiences with E-bikes?  How do you feel about them and what would it take for you to get one?

When I first saw them and they started getting popular they kind of irritated me and to tell the truth they still do. But in some circumstances I think they are justified.  I'm seeing motors being put into mountain bikes and people that are fully capable of riding at a fairly high level without assistance are getting them so they can go faster on trails. Not a fan of that for a number of reasons.  There is also the thing of pros and other racers using them to cheat.  But, as Paul Harvey would say, there's the rest of the story.

I started to think seriously about getting DW one when I watched her struggle to get up all the hills around here. As she gets older, and she is 8 years older then me, she naturally gets slower and riding was no longer fun for her so we rode very little last year or two.  One of the older guys from the area bike tours thousands of miles a year and he got one. Said it's really made life enjoyable for him again because now he's not constantly struggling and getting slower and slower.

For me, I wouldn't get one just yet. I can easily pedal a bike most places I want to go and if I can't, I can train myself into better shape to get it done so I would never get one.  I also see too many lazy people getting them then wanting to ride too fast on bike paths and the like.

For us it will make our rides more enjoyable and even safer as too many times she was going really slow up hills and vehicles would try to pass with limited line of sight.  Glad I got it for her but I'm not ready for one for myself just yet.

AT-runner

Tim

Going for a brisk walk at lunch. Hope to get in 4-5 miles.

Moon - good luck with the interview.

LB - Yesterday, I scored a pair of Olympus 2.5's for $11.24 from REI. Used a discount they sent me and the last of my rebate. They are discontinued now, and the 3.0's are coming out in a few days. They'll be my race back-up pair.

QOTD:  I had a motorcycle for a long time, but never looked at e-bikes. Looks like they's be nice for commuters going to work. Anything that helps a married couple exercise together has to be a good thing. Heck. it's go to be better for the marriage than building a deck together. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Back to normal here today after playing catch up with work and yard stuff yesterday. Dang it's chilly here for May though. Plan is 7 miles this evening out on the lake trails with the Lady.

QOTD: No experience with them, and since I am not a biker I do not see one in my future. It seems to make good sense for the situation you describe.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I went out for a test run with the back issues. I started running right off the bat, but that didn't work. I walked about a half mile and started running. It was fine after that little warm up, and everything was good. I plan to run another 4 or 5 after work today. I hope I won't have to walk any of that. That sounds bad, but it is actually a great improvement from yesterday. I was darn near bed-ridden yesterday.

QOTD: I have no experience with E-bikes. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

LB - Yesterday, I scored a pair of Olympus 2.5's for $11.24 from REI. Used a discount they sent me and the last of my rebate. They are discontinued now, and the 3.0's are coming out in a few days. They'll be my race back-up pair.

I was waiting on the 2.5's to drop in price on runningwarehouse. They are out of my size, though. I may check again, but I do have a pair of 1.5's that have been held in reserve. I may have to bite the bullet and get the 3.0's when they come out. But, I will probably get another pair of Lone Peaks for Pinhoti.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

another 5-ish yesterday evening, another near perfect day- upper 60's, sun and no wind

have a buddy in town for a work meeting, plan is to meet up and get 7-ish in, maybe supper after

qotd: probably don't see one in my future, but no problem with them. there is a guy here in town that puts a tiny gas engine on bikes. I was commuting to work one morning not flying, but not doddling either and this rather obese guy passes me by- I was like WTF?  then I noticed he wasn't peddling   they are exempt from any licensing requirements and are evidently a hit with folks who can't drive due to getting a DUI- go figure

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

are evidently a hit with folks who can't drive due to getting a DUI- go figure

Hahahaha. I bet they are.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning folks.  Haven't run, but the plan is for about 4 later, with a trip to the gym. I'm guessing only one of those will actually happen, but unsure of which.

qotd: Don't bike much so unlikely for me. Maybe DH who bike commutes, but he put an electric motor on a mountain board (think large skateboard with bigger, more rugged wheels) which he uses a lot. It was the lithium battery that took down our garage a couple of years ago. He has assured me that he has fixed that problem from happening again. Just beware, DD. 

NHLA

7 miles around the mountain.

Qotd never heard of one.  Looks like fun.

Daydreamer1

I could get used to this work from home thing. Been doing some quality improvement work which means reading a bunch of charts and giving feed back. It's something that I can do from home if I want to. So this morning while I'm "working" I keep hearing a helicopter outside. Turns out they are running the lines on the new power line they are building and pulling the ropes to install the cable with a chopper. Really interesting to watch.  This pilot is really good.

AT-  A few years ago we were looking at a tandem bike. Didn't get one. I wanted to remain married .

Warden - Being able to ride some of them without peddling is what I hate about them.  Could have gotten one of those but DW didn't want one and I would have said no anyway.

Runtrail - Hmmm....... Didn't think about that.  Maybe I should get one of those steel boxes that the reloaders use for storing gunpowder and stick it in there. That way any fire would be contained.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran five this morning.  he old man asked how was the run and I said, "I don't know f I can even call it running anymore."    The dogs are sniffing and eating grass and just plain %ucking around.  He said well at lest your out there.  Yep.

QOTD:  Warden mentioned my first thought.  We also have a lot of guys riding around on bikes with gas motors and I assumed as an alternative due to no license because of DUI or any other suspension reason (hell it could even be child support! (that's what I do for a living))   I think the electric bike is cool.  Especially if you want to motor to work and not get sweaty but then bike it home.

AT:  As for this comment...I actually believe my husband likes me working on a project with him better than sex!    or at least it is some form of foreplay.

. Heck. it's go to be better for the marriage than building a deck together. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

SRD for me today. I haven't taken a SRD in a week, wow it's like a streak or something.

qotd: what? e-bikes.  Wow, the next thing you know they make some sort of running shoes with bounce-back technology and then think about breaking the 2 hr marathon....

Actually I can see some folks getting them for the extending their ability to ride as they get older or injured, bike commuting, and reasons mentioned by DD, but since I don't bike much I don't see one in my future. I agree that having fit folks using them only to get faster on the trails is a bit like cheating, and I'm not really in favor of that.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

jonferg67

Endless trails

Give the title today I thought Queen started it. Funny stuff, DD, you're on a roll.

I did a short 3 miles this morning, chilly temps at about 48*. The weather for my

HM Sunday morning is 48 and rain, also I hear a Nor' Easter is heading our way.

QOTD: I tried a friends e-bike once, fun to drive. I don't bike often but I don't se

an e-bike in my future. The food delivery guys use them all the time here in the

Bronx.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

funny you should say this... I was thinking about this when  I was running this morning, I  wanted   to get a personal license plate when  I was 23 that said 'Wild Child' ...22 years later I decided I was ever a wild child. 

Give the title today I thought Queen started it. Funny stuff, DD, you're on a roll.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Do you mean the olive green ammo boxes? That's what DH uses to store and charge his batteries now.

Runtrail - Hmmm....... Didn't think about that.  Maybe I should get one of those steel boxes that the reloaders use for storing gunpowder and stick it in there. That way any fire would be contained.