Trailer Trash

the unofficial 2017 Trailer Trash Rendevous (Read 57 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Obviously nothing set in stone, but thought it might be fun to get folks together for a little running/hiking/hanging out and would offer up Montana as a designation.  Sounds like September works best for the majority of folks, if not, best to get a time frame figured out.  September is a great month for Montana- weather is cooling, bugs are on the way out as are the majority of tourists, but July and August would work as well (June is generally too early for much of the mountain country).

I'll throw this out as a possible starter- mid September, Glacier National Park.  There are several US Forest Service campgrounds near Glacier that are both cheaper ($10-ish a night) and more relaxed (campfires and the like) than camping in the park.  Summit campground is one I was eyeballing.

I was thinking of doing two run/hikes to maximize our exposure to the park- first would be Gunsight Pass trail from the Going to the Sun to Lake McDonald- goes through two high passes and a ton of gorgeous country, roughly 21 miles.  We would have to shuttle a vehicle(s) to Lake McDonald before hand as it's a point to point.  Day 2 Dawson- Pitamakan Loop- again gorgeous country, through a couple of high passes- numerous alpine lakes, etc, roughly 18 miles (I'm doing this loop Sunday and will report back on it).  This one we would be done early enough (with a decent early start) it would give us a fair bit of day left to lounge around camp or do some other sight seeing.  Two back to back epic run/hikes that shouldn't be too overtaxing- I envision taking our sweet ass time and soaking in lots of views, taking pics, nice break for lunch, etc- 180 degrees of a race.

Centered around a weekend might work best for folks as far as getting time off, but with enough lead time, I can certainly do mid week as well.

Anywho, that's what I had in mind 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Wife and I would definitely be interested.

I'd even buy the first case of Moose Drool beer for everyone.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm not averse to a return to Glacier.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

I'll definitely put this on my calendar.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

AT- that sounds good to me 

here's a nice description (and some nice photos) of the Gunsight Pass Trail and Dawson- Pitamakan

http://enjoyyourparks.com/GlacierParkGunsightPass.html

http://enjoyyourparks.com/DawsonPitamakanLoopGlacier.html

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

Humm moose drool beer sounds interesting.

Where is the nearest major airport to Glacier?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For that side of Glacier NP I flew into Great Falls. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from the airport to Two Medicine. The closest town for accommodations is probably East Glacier where I stayed, 15-20 minutes from the trail head for Dawson Pass.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hmmmm......(thinking hard)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Great Falls is probably the best option, but if someone wanted to spend some additional time on the west side, Kalispell is also an option.

If folks wanted more "civilized" quarters vs camping  (i.e. having a shower ) there are several lodging options.

After yesterdays run, I think I'm going to revamp the itinerary- I'm instead going to recommend the Dawson-Pitamakan loop for day 1 and come up with a shorter run/hike for day 2- something in the 8-10 mile range. I think back to back 20-ish mile runs a bit ambitious (and less fun).

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I'm coming!!! (unless I find out in October that  AT is really an asshole)  camping is good for me...I like the 20/10 idea better than 20/20...but you know I am kinda lazy..

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm coming!!! (unless I find out in October that  AT is really an asshole)  camping is good for me...I like the 20/10 idea better than 20/20...but you know I am kinda lazy..

For me, it's about the logistics.  I actually went on google maps just to see how far it really is....uh...2000ish miles.  Guess driving it is out of the question.  Flying? would need to then rent a vehicle, rent camping supplies, etc.  Might be doable.

I just need to convince DW to allow me to spend a few days with a bunch of strangers in the wilderness 2000+ miles away.  No problem!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Jamie when we get closer we can look at sharing car rental.  I looked up a plane ticket  seeing that I figured Great Falls was some little hobumkin town but the flight was decent price although not the actual dates I would be going but gave me an idea.  I am sure we can work out some shared expenses on the car rental too...As for camping stuff...I have a feeling MTWarden has spare equipment..  you have a whole year of kissing your wife's ass so that she is happy for you to go on a trip.. 

For me, it's about the logistics.  I actually went on google maps just to see how far it really is....uh...2000ish miles.  Guess driving it is out of the question.  Flying? would need to then rent a vehicle, rent camping supplies, etc.  Might be doable.

I just need to convince DW to allow me to spend a few days with a bunch of strangers in the wilderness 2000+ miles away.  No problem!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

He is, but don't let that interfere with your travel plans. 

Mike, I think we should do 20/20 to weed out the lazy people! 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

I'm thinking about making this part of a major vacation. Might head up to Jasper then stop in on the way back. The biggest problem would be keeping DW from getting bored while I'm out on the trails. That and convincing her to camp in a tent. Might need to look for a cabin of some sort.  18 miles would probably be more than she could do in one day out there but the 8-10 miles she could probably join us.  The biggest problem for us would be getting time off work.

Gator eye

I was thinking I could UPS my camping gear ahead of time then ship it back after