Trailer Trash

Thursday Thread (Read 32 times)

XtremeTaper

Good morning all... a creaky 5 for me last night on the easy side of Green Lane. I gave myself permission to run slow since technically I should be recovering some this week. I might bring it up a notch this evening and run 6 miles. Ha.

QOTD: GPS watches. I don't wear one anymore but what are your thoughts on accuracy on wooded trails.

QOTD. I think they tend to measure short, but I really don't know and wonder if there has been a study. I do recall when I used one some of the software programs would often a just the distance reported on the watch when you uploaded. I've done a few timed races this year and find it interesting how lap time compared on course that supposedly differed by more than a mile. Not that it matters.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

muppy

16 miles yesterday.

QOTD I have a Garmin 910 that I use, sometimes it's seems like it's short.  I know tree cover and twisting turning trails has an effect on it, I just don't worry too much about it,  I just like that it gives me a general idea of how far I went .

NorthernHarrier

Got in late, late last night night to the cabin after 8 days of the windiest canoe trip ever. High winds-the bane of the canoeist.  Did the best I could under the conditions, traveled when possible, caught fish when possible, relaxed in camps a whole lot. I love canoe trips even with horrific weather.   Doing some laundry and unpacking gear to make sure all is dry before repacking. Going to be heading out now for an easy 5.5 on the nearby trails. Hopefully some mtn. biking this afternoon.

QOTD-Yes, I use a garmin and yes I think they measure a twisting trail way short. They just don't send out a rapid enough ping to capture every little turn especially under heavy cover. But I'm with Muppy in that I still like that they give me a general idea. I am only interested in the here and now so I never upload my data or map my routes. Just look at pace and distance when completed then delete.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A shade over 7 this morning.  Humidity seems to be gone for a while.

QOTD: I do not own a gps watch.  But if I did I would be ok with the close proximity to distance.  That's about what I get now when I hit the trails anyway since it is hard to map the routes exactly.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DigDug2

Tempo/progression run this morning, 6 miles with pace ratcheting up each mile.  First fast running after a month of feeling bleah, felt pretty strong.

QOTD:  never owned a GPS watch, but I use my MapMyRun on my phone sometimes.  Seems fine on trails, not that I have anything to compare it to in terms of accuracy.

NHLA

8 miles last night. Town and back. Last three miles uphill.

QOTD  GPS got stolen but It never worked here anyway. You lose signal so much. XM radio doesn't work either.

Tried nike+  but sweat killed it. They sent me a new one but it died too. Water resistant LOL.

Daydreamer1

Planning on about 7 miles later this evening.

NHLA -- XM radio doesn't work down there??? You must live really far back in the sticks.  Sound like a area I could love.

QOTD: I tend to be a numbers geek so I would like to get one. Also would like to get back into monitoring my heart rate as well. I'll be doing some shopping later this year to see which device is best for me.  As far as the GPS being accurate I think there will be variation when in the woods. Since I run a lot of the same trails I would average distance out over time so if it's off by some it wouldn't matter too much.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, I got my MRI results back (and for those of you not in FB-land), I was diagnosed with intermetatarsal bursitis.  Not really sure how/why it happened, but I'm stuck in the air boot for another 3 weeks to hopefully get the inflammation down.  Best case scenario I walk for a few a weeks after getting out of the boot and then slowly transition to running.  We'll see.  I'm just worried about it becoming chronic, so I'll try to be extra cautious.  It's already been ongoing for 5 months, sooooo, ugh.

QOTD: My 205 seems fairly accurate.  At least accurate enough for me.  It usually measures around a half mile short for the 50Ks that I've run.  Good enough.

Running is dumb.

Watoni

Might ride at lunch again. Dropped the rescue puppy at doggy day care today so I can work and do PT this evening. Supposed to run but then my ankle is so stiff that when they work on me at PT it is excruciating, so riding sounds better to me and then a run tomorrow.

QOTD: Garmin 920xt for running/bike. It is quite accurate, but the redwoods/twisty trails can wreak a bit of havoc -- still not bad. My old Fenix was terrible, though, in terms of accuracy.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I didn't run this morning and may run after work...dealing with anxiety today...sucks!

QOTD:  I think it measures short.  When I run trails that are marked or races the watch records less.  Not to mention when we run with people we all have different readings at the end.

Looks like Devon's lead is getting a shorter.

Northern:  Sounds like a cool trip..minus the wind.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Well, I got my MRI results back (and for those of you not in FB-land), I was diagnosed with intermetatarsal bursitis.  Not really sure how/why it happened, 

Oh I don't know....maybe pedaling 500+ miles a month on a road bike wearing tennis shoes. Especially since the issue started around the beginning of bike season.    There I said it! Not so subtle this time either! Can we still be friends? 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh I don't know....maybe pedaling 500+ miles a month on a road bike wearing tennis shoes. Especially since the issue started around the beginning of bike season.    There I said it! Not so subtle this time either! Can we still be friends? 

The issue started well before I started biking 500 miles a month.  I've done plenty of other 500 mile months in tennis shoes on my bike before too. People ride their bikes across the freaking country in tennis shoes!  It started in March.  I only biked 43 miles in March.  So there!     Biking may have exacerbated it, but it didn't cause it.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Sorry Mandy about the foot but at least you can move forward now with a plan. I hope this is the last injury for you... it's not fair!

Regarding the gps units, yeah my thought were always that they are good in a general sense, and good for training, but not always super accurate and worthwhile tool to measure a race course. The loop I did for this weekend's race there were a number of people insistent the course was way short based on their garmin/dorkalator device.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

But, can we still be friends?  

Anyhow, some people can also run marathons barefoot but some will get injured. Just because many people ride w/o shoes doesn't necessarily mean all can.  If I remember correctly you had this issue to a lesser extent last year when you were doing your commuting. Maybe you're just predisposed to this. You are looking for reasons why, well what's a better one?   Hate to see you heal all up and then have it happen again.  Don't just treat the symptoms but come up with a treatment for the cause.   Road bike shoes and pedals are a good thing.

How about some of the other bikers weighing in--Daydreamer,Watoni,AT, etc.

On another note my trail run went well today. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

But, can we still be friends?  

No, of course not.  You know I'm the type of person to get butthurt over little things.     As for a more logical reason, how about starting to run consistently again after a long hiatus and surgery?  How about surgery changing my gait?  Surgery changing my foot strike?  How about running in new shoes after surgery since my old ones got discontinued?  How about my new shoes changing my foot strike?  How about plain ol' bad luck?  I only went for a handful of rides in 2015 before the issue popped up.  I'm still not tracing it back to the bike as the cause.  I do agree that I should upgrade my pedals eventually though.

Thanks, XT!  I'm just getting all my injures in life out of the way early, right??

Running is dumb.