Trailer Trash

Saturdailies (Read 32 times)

The pooch and I had another great 5 mile trail run. It was a lovely 60 F at the start of the run.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

moonlightrunner

Ran a very slow 9 miles at the state park. My legs were tired from yesterday's race but it was way too nice to take a day off. I can't remember a July that had such wonderful cool weather. It was 50 degrees when I started my run. It was not to the liking of the flies and mosquitoes. I did not miss them.

I might have found a run buddy for some of my longer training runs. She is running the 50 miler at the race in September where I hope to run the 50k.  We are going to run together a few times at the park where the race takes place.

Ftyc: did your injuries heal up OK from your nasty fall?

I hope you all have a great day!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

I did 5 miles yesterday, then took a 6 hour nap.  Jetlag is such fun.  Slept ok last night though.  Then this morning got up and did 5 more miles.  I'm kind of tapering for the possibility of Hardrock next Friday...  still sitting at the top of the waitlist.  Trying to decide whether to head up to CO or not.  What's a 1000 bucks, right?

FTYC: hope your shoulder is feeling better.  At least you took your dive on a trail, not like me where I took my dive on a sidewalk a few weeks ago.  My shoulder is still wonky when I move it the right (i.e. wrong) way.

By the way, I have started my RR from Bighorn, taking that trip to China and Japan right afterwards kind of distracted my creative writing process.  One of these days I'll get it done.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Planning on a run after work today. The weather is great, the air crisp and fairly cool. When I look at the mountains, I really want to go out there right now! Moonlight, Sandy: my injuries are healing up fine. My hand was gotesquely swollen yesterday, so I had it x-rayed, but nothing broken. That's good news, and everything else (knee, shoulder, wrists) are not even hurting much any more. Just don't tap me on the shoulder... Sandy: looking forward to the RR! How is Hardrock coming along, any news? I hope you'll get in!

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Morning trailers.  Had a solo 17 miler this morning.  Weather was beautiful.  Had a route all planned out and when I got to an intersection (deep in the woods) several trees had been purposely cut to block the trail for maybe 100' in.  Had to get creative and added a bit to my run and when i got to the section that the trail would have crossed again, then same thing, trees down blocking the way.  DCNR must have decided this trail needed to go back to nature.  Too bad, it was a nice route and I used it many times to connect to other trails.

Hope all the racers and pacers are doing well.

Hope everyone is healing.

Hope anyone looking to get into a bog 100 miler gets good news.

moon- are you running the race at Hallucination?

QOTD:  Have you ever "lost" a nice trail section in your area, and if so, what was the reasoning?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Didn't get home from work until 9:30. Took a few hour nap, now it's on to some yard work. Planning a 13.1 mile road run later this evening.

QOTD: I was going to say that I haven't been running trails long enough for that to happen, and that's mostly true. Then I jogged my memory a little and remembered that back in the late 90s I had tried some Mt biking. I soon realized that I don't seem to have good enough balance for the technical Pa trails. There was one nice section of single and double track that I would ride occasionally. Two years ago I was going to use that trail and found that it was closed. Apparently it was on private land  that was surrounded by State Forest. The first time I ran the trail that is now my main training run, I was following directions from the 1/2 marathon that they run on that trail. Part of the course was still heavily flagged months after the race. It took me several times to realize that the trail was rerouted, hence the reason the flags were still up. There to they had dropped trees to block the old trail. Then they put up signs asking people to use the new trail, that the old one was closed due to erosion. Sometime this fall I'm going to do some bushwhacking just to explore the old section.

moonlightrunner

AT: yes... my plan is to run the 50k at Woodstock (Hallucination). I am looking g forward to it...hoping I will be trained enough to finish.

Qotd: my favorite local running trails are all going to be paved. They already started my very favorite one. I don't run there anymore.

Qotd: my favorite local running trails are all going to be paved. They already started my very favorite one. I don't run there anymore.

That stinks.  What kind of trails are they?  I don't really think of trails as being subject to getting paved.  Were they  like a MUP (Multi User Path) or something?  Here we mostly run on hiking trails or mountain bike trails so I hope I don't have to worry they will be paved.  I would be really disappointed to lose my favorite trails that way.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

Sandy: looking forward to the RR! How is Hardrock coming along, any news? I hope you'll get in!

I just got the call from the RD, I'm in Hardrock !!!!  Oh crap, I'm in Hardrock !!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

I just got the call from the RD, I'm in Hardrock !!!!  Oh crap, I'm in Hardrock !!!!

Awesome!!!

moonlightrunner

That stinks.  What kind of trails are they?  I don't really think of trails as being subject to getting paved.  Were they  like a MUP (Multi User Path) or something?  Here we mostly run on hiking trails or mountain bike trails so I hope I don't have to worry they will be paved.  I would be really disappointed to lose my favorite trails that way.

They are trails owned and operated by the county that they felt were not used much. Theyhad the chance for a federal grant to put a 13 foot bike path. This was a nice rustic trail through a 300 acre nature ppreserve. Now..they are going to ruin it and two other nearby trails with pavement. You are very lucky to be where you are.

moonlightrunner

Sandy! Congratulations! Better start packing and planning!

They are trails owned and operated by the county that they felt were not used much. Theyhad the chance for a federal grant to put a 13 foot bike path. This was a nice rustic trail through a 300 acre nature ppreserve. Now..they are going to ruin it and two other nearby trails with pavement. You are very lucky to be where you are.

Your tax dollars at work Sad  I hope you at least have some other good trail options.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sandy: Congrats! That is awesome. However, I just got a reality check from my DD: when I was cheering as I was reading about you getting in, she asked what "Hardrock" was, and after I had explained it, she just looked at me a bit confused and asked: "Who would do that to themselves??". And I always thought I am a good role model 

AT: DCNR might just re-route the trail?

QOTD: One of my favorite trails was re-routed last year, and meanwhile, I have accepted the new trail, but only because there is a trail similar to the old one nearby, which I use as an alternate.

One access trail has been rock armored to accommodate the wishes of the local MTB community. I do not like it, but can live with it. Until a couple weeks ago, when I browsed through a "Development Plan" of the state forest, and found out, to my dismay, that most of my favorite trails will be re-routed and rock-armored. Why? Well, to accommodate the wishes of the local MTB community. I could not believe my eyes, until some research revealed that the local MTB association provides the budget for this "developing", or at least a good part of it. 

So soon the steepest, rockiest and most technical trails in my area, which I use to prepare for the tougher races, will be gone. I am not sure where I will find appropriate trails then. I also  don't know why hikers' and runners' wishes weren't taken into consideration, budget aside.

And in the four or five years since I started running, I also noticed that within the last year, the mountain bikers have accomplished to heavily erode (almost to destruction) several trails which had held up nicely to foot traffic for many years. They either grind extremely deep and narrow grooves into soft trails, or slide sideways down on rocky trails. Now of course the MTB'ers should also have their playgrounds, but there is a whole network of 50+ miles of trail specifically dedicated to MTB'ing close by, so why destroy and take over popular hiking trails? I don't like this at all.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

AT: DCNR might just re-route the trail?

I haven't been to any meetings in a while, but I think this trail was a night time party spot for underage drinking, so likely won't be a re-route.  I plan on stopping in the office next week to ask.

I respect our local DCNR office.  They try to balance hiking (trail running), MTB'ers, ATV'ers and horsey people.  This trail was "unmarked" (not blazed) but was widely used as a connector by foot, horse and bikers.  It was too narrow for ATV's.  In the past, if we've been able to show that removing a trail makes it more difficult to make our way around, they have worked with us on re-routes.