Trailer Trash

Recovery Mondaily (Read 20 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Recovery is unfortunately not from drinking too much, but after long conversation with my doctor (he's a good friend and a runner) I'm shutting it down for 10 days to let body heal and try and get rid of all my Lyme symptoms.  Not great timing with a 24 hr race in less than 2 months, but I'll just reevaluate my goals. We had originally thought running would be OK, but with slow recovery, it was time to rethink that strategy.

Did have a nice St. Patrick's Day with friends and family.  Only had 1 (well, maybe 2) Guinness due to being on the doxy.

DW, my 80 year young Mother and I.

Sandy - happy belated B'Day.

Yes, having seen Tiny Elvis in person, he is very tiny, as in smaller-than-a-cat-tiny. 

Montour 24 - who's still in?  I know Jamie dropped due to dissertation work.

QOTD:  What is your next race and/or adventure?  Montour 24 for me.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

I'll run later this evening, I think 6-8 miles over on the trails of French Creek after work. Chase the sunset sort of run.

I had a couple of decent runs over the weekend... 8 on the trails of Coventry Woods on Saturday. Still an inch or two of snow up there in the woods at the higher elevations but the trails were down to dirt and mud in most places. Weird thing happened coming down the hill just before finishing up the run. The Lady made a little whining sound that darted off trail in the woods. Figured she was just on a typical squirrel or chipmunk chase but when I looked over she was sniffing a goose that was laying down in the forest. Literally right on the bird. I did a double take on that one, called her back and wondered if the goose was injured but second glance it looked like the bird must have been hatching an egg.

Yesterday was the best day of the two. Slightly warmer, 45 or so and I only felt the chilly breeze in a few places. We managed 9+ on the trails of the Birdsboro Watershed. The Hay Creek was gushing pretty good with roaring white water sounds in many places. I tacked on a little out/back loop to enjoy that tranquility. Also ran into a pair of horseyback woman around mile 2 and then the final mile on the big climb back to the car. They were impressed with how the Lady stops on command, so I stopped and talked to them a bit. They asked me a bit about my running, and then mentioned to me they have been up to do the horseback version of the Vermont 100. So that was kind of cool.
      In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT - Sorry about the downtime. You have enough experience you will be fine.

QOTD: I am not signed up for any races at the moment. Actually have thought about doing the local half marathon this summer sponsored by Sly Fox Brewing but that's on the road and I will probably come to my senses about that idea. I did manage an ultra already this year even if it was sort of lame so that keeps my ultra/year streak going at 12. Perhaps maybe I will for a 50k sometime late summer or fall.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I didn't run on Sunday or today. I did get about 3 miles in on Saturday, mostly hiking.

QOTD: I don't have anything related to running on the horizon. I do have a week long turkey hunt in Oklahoma coming up in early April.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sorry to hear that, AT.  Enjoy the rest if you can!  (And your mom looks great for 80!)

I did some biking and running over the weekend.  I feel very out of shape these days.  Blah.  SRD today.

QOTD: We leave for vacation in less than 3 weeks - backpacking Southern UT and then a trail race in Prescott, AZ.  I will be woefully under trained for the race and plan on hiking the majority of it.  Who knew one run per week wouldn't be good training? 

Oh, and for the old timers, we'll be hanging out with RunsWithWolves at the race. 

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

AT- sucks, but sounds like the best course to kick that shit; if you haven’t already might be worth touching bases with NH- I know he’s dealt with, iirc more than once

we had a nice 4-ish miles yesterday afternoon, got home just in time to watch the Cuse knock off Michigan State   Their wins haven’t been pretty, but they are finding a way to win. My bracket looks like shit, but fun to see underdogs win.  Oh we enjoyed rubens yesterday along with cabbage- potato soup- basically everything left in the bottom of the crock pot of the corned beef- excellent!

3-4 miles planned this evening.

qotd: I always do the Don’t Fence Me In 30k in May, but this year there isn’t enough separation from it and the Bob Open, so have signed up for the 12k-  actually should be pretty fun to push it a bit in a shorter race

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Happy Monday, trailers. Today is a SRD, but I might sneak in a couple of miles while DS attempts to swim. Tomorrow and Wednesday are supposed to be filled with rain and snow. Yesterday's 12k trail race was not as flat as I remembered. And my legs felt dead so I really should take it easy today.

qotd: Nothing really. A road race in April and various low-key club races. Still trying to figure out a short spring break getaway. The problem is I really want to go somewhere exciting- Iceland, the Galapagos or Patagonia, but between money, time, kiddo's expired passports, etc, etc. that's not going to happen and everything in comparison is uninspiring.

moonlightrunner

• The weekend went by too fast...here we are and it's Monday.

My runs this weekend were the very best part of each day. I suspect that will be the case today as well. I will head to the state park after work.

AT: sorry to hear you have to take time off, but glad you are listening to your Dr and your body.

XT: nice The Lady is so well trained!

Run Trail: those do sound like great adventures! I can see where other choices may sound mundane.

Mandy: you upcoming adventure sounds fun.

QOTD: I don't know what I am doing. I feel like there has been a change in me lately. I have enjoyed my runs more, but I am so slow I feel awkward. I have no desire now to run with other people, so I don't want to race. I think I am going to give up racing....I was not really good at it anyway. I would like to plan a run adventure somewhere by myself for later in the summer.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I think I am going to give up racing....I was not really good at it anyway. I would like to plan a run adventure somewhere by myself for later in the summer.

Welcome to the good side.    I don't really race anymore either and it's very enjoyable.  (Okay, okay, yes, I am registered for a race next month, but it's my first in almost 2 years and I'm really only doing it because DBF wants to.)  Run adventures are much more my style these days.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6 Monday morning miles with a friend.  Forgot that there might be snow on the trail...it was a crusty run.  Good work out because we really had to lift our legs.

Just got the call from the old man...don't quit yet.  His doctor is going to put him on steroids for 7 days and if it works implant a steroid thingy in his sinus that last for a year.  So looks like I won't be retiring until may.

QOTD:  Mendocino 50K April 21st.  It's at the coast and I am going alone and camping alone...looking forward to some Sue time.

AT:  You should still be fine for Montour taking 10 days off now.

Seeing  a man in the woods is scary when it's dark. 

Image may contain: snow, outdoor and nature

Jack and Earl running in the snow like Tiny E only bigger.

Image may contain: snow, tree, plant, outdoor and nature

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sue- now that’s more like a trail should look 

Cindy- now the Frozen Otter doesn’t really count as a race right? 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Got back into Madison late afternoon yesterday and went out to the Arb for a run. Major quagmire it turned out to be. Not sure what happened here weather wise but we looked to have regressed. Did get in 41 miles in 6 days of the best beach running ever in spite of a bum calf. It was awesome.

Went out this morning for 10 miles at Donald park. Went out early and the trails were in great shape having firmed up with the cold night. Things were just thawing out when I was finishing up and starting to get a little mushy.

AT- sucks, but sounds like the best course to kick that shit; if you haven’t already might be worth touching bases with NH- I know he’s dealt with, iirc more than once

Yup. 5x.  Sounds like AT's might be more advanced then I ever had it. In my cases there was only 1 time where I was really laid low by it but usually was feeling a lot better after just several days on doxy every time. The thing is every lyme situation is an experiment of one so I can't really offer a whole lot. I wish AT the best and a hopefully a speedy and complete recovery.

QOTD- Ozark Foothills 25k near St. Louis on April 7th. Hopefully my calf is feeling better by then otherwise it will be a very long and slow event.

moonlightrunner

Still planning on that one. For me it is a hike in the woods until I can't move forward. Maybe I will make it my only race every year.

Oh...and I thought I would mention, I have a friend there who will provide (for me and any friends i bring)free lodging, transportation to and from the race site, lives 6 miles from the start and they have a hundred dead animals hanging in the walls of their enormous home.

Sue- now that’s more like a trail should look 

Cindy- now the Frozen Otter doesn’t really count as a race right? 

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

dead animals on the wall is always a good sign, unless you’re getting a motel late at night 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Bert-o

I lost my rama

AT - I hope that down time helps.  Glad to hear you're still in for Montour.  It's still highlighted on my calendar, big and bold.  If you wear that hat, I'll certainly recognize you. 

XT - Nice weekend runs, and Lady sounds like a great partner.  I like the sound of your dog beers.  I might try one.

moonlight - As long as you enjoy running, that's all that matters.

Queen - Nice looking pooches!  Yeah, that man in the woods would scare the bejeezus out of me.  Fantastic run you had yesterday too!  Well, except for your pissing boss.  Can't believe you got 6 more in this morning.

I might go out for a short run tonight to get a few miles in before the mid-week storm hits.  Feels like groundhog day all over again.

QOTD:  Montour 24 is the big one on the calendar right now.  Might do the Naked Prussian Marathon at the end of the month if the weather looks decent.  I'm trying to sneak into the NYC marathon in Nov as an Achilles Guide.  Haven't heard back on my application yet.  They probably laughed and tossed it into the can.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Daydreamer1

14.2 Miles on the AT today. Started out walking with DW and DD then ran most of the rest of it. Pretty beat up and we did one of the runnable sections.

QOTD: At this time it's the Montour 24. Kind of regretting signing up for it. Too early in the year for those kinds of miles. I'll be walking a lot.  We may sign up for the one down in Delaware. I'll do the triple crown, DW, DD the 5K.