Trailer Trash

Tic Toc Thursdailies (Read 246 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Time is ticking away and no dailies yet.  Ok I wll start.  3 miles this morning.  Nothing exciting.

QOTD: what was the scariest moment in your life?

My 5 yr old fell down the stairs this morning (this was not too scary because he was ok after the initial shock of it) but it reminded me of my DW just after having our third child.  She passed out, eyes rolled back, and fell into a bathtub and hit her head, she laid there motionless and her eyes rolled up - very scary initially but she was ok in the end.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Weather is glorious, so I'll be heading out soon. Problem only is, where to go. We have what I call "Marshmallow Snow" (snow that is old, frozen over several times, hard and icy on top and very slippery, but still breaks when you try to walk on it - and it looks like marshmallow topping in the sunlight), so trails are treacherous, while roads (gravel roads) are very icy. Sidewalks are not cleared for the most part, same with the bike path - this is a tricky decision to make. But I'm sure I'll find something - I'm determined!

Jamie: Nice run early, hope your legs are holding up!

QOTD: There were many scary moments, but some stand out. One was when I was riding a motorbike, approaching a sharp bend over a bridge. Suddenly I realized there was gravel in my lane, and a huge dump truck was right there coming up towards me in the other lane. I was almost sure I would not make it around the bend, and was preparing to crash into the side of the truck, right in front of its rear wheels. Miraculously, the bike did not slip, and I made it over the bridge unscathed, but I am sure my blood pressure had risen over 240 at that point.

Another scary moment was also when I was crashing into a hill with a parachute, the moment when I realized that I was really going to crash, that I was falling down, and there were still 30 feet of empty air below me.

In trail running, I always get very scared when I trip on a rocky, steep downhill trail and feel as if I was going to plant my face somewhere hundreds of feet down the hill in a ravine.

Enjoy the day, trail peers!

Run for fun.

SRD (sorta). I'm swapping my rest day from tomorrow to today so I can go to happy hour after work Smile

QOTD: This is really loaded question. I could be brutally honest, but instead I'll just share my most recent scariest moment, which was driving in ice/snow during a "flash" snowstorm in my sports car. I was praying the whole time just to survive and I did, by driving <10 mph the whole  way home.

runtraildc

Morning!

Ran 4 miles home last night after work.  Mostly on a paved trail and with some daylight.    Have yoga planned at lunch today.

QOTD- I worked for while as a biologist on alaska fishing boats.  One very calm, beautiful summer day in one of the most beautiful places on earth (offshore Kodiak Island) while working, a rogue wave came out of nowhere, drenching me and filling my gear and boots and almost knocking me over the side.  I'm a strong swimmer, but  I knew the limits of my humanity versus Alaska waters.  The crew was working on another part of the boat and wouldn't have realized I was missing until it would have been too late.  I decided my sample was done and went inside to recover.

NorthernHarrier

Howdy,

Did my 10k loop yesterday that has been my normal pacing type workout over the years. While I'm not racing it I have a certain time window I like to do it in focusing on form and turnover etc. Best run on that course in a long while. Still not within my times but smooth and getting there. I'm happy. Smile   Today will be a light 5 miler, maybe in shorts.

boyjame--NOTHING worse than having a hurt kid. Glad things are OK.

QOTD--Whew--I have had a few close calls in my life but probably my scariest time was an entrapment in a raging stream going thru a tight canyon whitewater canoeing(solo). That one could have gone either way. You reach a level of ability and you take on bigger challenges until it bites back.  When I rolled back into my shack a few hours late without a canoe on top of the car and my leg all bandaged up I was then yelled at and called an irresponsible parent. Nice. Shocked Probably had it coming though.

Birdwell

Morning folks! Got an hour in at the pool this morning, followed by some weightlifting.

Theres a little storm moving in where we are. The wind was blowing 20 mph. that plus the projected low of 0 tomorrow should make for an interesting run.

jamie: sometimes not exciting is just fine.

FYTC: good luck finding safe passage.

QOTD: when our oldest was about 3 or 4 weeks old, I was in changing her diaper. I lifted her legs up to slide the new one under and I heard a crack, and she started to scream. I was convinced I had broken her leg. I yelled for my wife to come in and help, and I had to go outside for a few minutes. I was trying to figure out how to explain to child protective services that I was only changing her diaper, and I didn't mean to break her leg, and if I had to go to jail forever I understood. A minute or so later my wife came out with our daughter, and the baby was smiling and happy as could be. I was a little relieved,

AT-runner

Tim

Good morning,

Just got back from the dentist for an early morning cleaning, and now heading our for 12 miles on some snowy and muddy trails.  Warming up nicely right and should be 45 degrees or so when I start.

QOTD:  Our youngest daughter was diagnosed with diabetes when she was 2 years old.  About 6 months later, she was jarred from a nap with a bad seizure from low blood sugar.  I was the only one home and had to rush around getting what I needed to treat her hypoglycemia.  I was several minutes before she returned to normal levels and the seizure stopped. It was the longest few minutes of my life and I never felt so helpless as a parent.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Trail Monster

Weights for me today.

QOTD: I have several ranging from finding a dead body to being walked on by a bear. Since the former is really unpleasant I will explain the latter instead. I was hiking the Laurel Highlands trail to Ohiopyle with friends over the course of about 5 days. We were going to camp/white water raft/etc once in Ohiopyle. I was carrying some smoked meat in my pack. One night I was sleeping on the ground and felt someone step on me. I was about to start yelling for them to get off me when I realized the outline was too big to be human. Turned out the bear walked over me to get my pack leaning in a tree. I had to get a new pack when I got home and our food was a little short for the rest of the trip but otherwise we were unscathed.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

NorthernHarrier

Another great QOTD!  Cool stories.

And then there was this time I wanted to die. Not scary at all but...   Deep sea fishing off the Florida keys, I became violently seasick trolling around in rough seas. Man, was I chummin' the water.  You just reach a point beyond despair. I really did think just throw myself off this boat and end this misery. Finally got back to shore, drank some electrolytes and did a 7 mile run. Life is good afterall. Cool

Four trail miles and a beautiful sunrise for the pooch and me.

QOTD:  I have lived kind of a crazy life so there were an extremely large number of them.  At some point it got to where no one in particular stands out.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

sugnim

Morning, all!  Another dark run after work planned for this evening.  It is supposed to snow all day, so there will be some fresh powder to stomp through.  I'm thinking 5-ish miles.

QOTD:  Gosh, this is a hard one.  There were some pretty scary things in my childhood, some real, some imagined.  As an adult, the scariest thing was probably a few years ago when my SO & I first moved to MT.  We were renting a tiny, tiny house, and the back door was in the bedroom just inches from the foot of the bed.  One night, my SO sat up in bed which woke me up.  I saw that she looked scared, so I sat up too & saw that the knob to the very flimsy, old wood door was turning back & forth like someone was trying to open it.  I could see through the curtained door window a shadow of a person on the other side.  I yelled at them to go away, but they kept turning the handle.  I got up & pounded with my fist on the door, swore at the person, and told them to leave.  They kept shaking the knob & trying to get the door open.  As I said, the house was tiny, and it was obvious that the people inside would have no money or items of value to steal, and since I made my presence & anger known, all I could think was that this person intended to do something violent or harmful.  I told my SO to call 911.  While she was on the phone, I kept yelling at the person on the other side of the door.  I let them know that we were calling the cops.  That's when they moved to the window.  For once, I was glad that the old wooden frames for windows in that place were too warped to allow them to open.  It's at moments like this when you realize how vulnerable you are lying in bed in your underwear with no real means of defending yourself.  After several more minutes of my threatening & yelling at this person who was trying to get into our home, the cops arrived, and of course the individual left.  The cops never found the person, and my SO & I were up all night too scared to go back to sleep.  In the morning, I went behind the house & I found a boot print in the soil next to a cauliflower plant I was growing near our backdoor & a cap from a local pizza place that we had recently had ordered a delivery from.  All I could speculate was that the individual who delivered our pizza somehow decided that they wanted to come back & harm us.  Luckily, we were in the process of buying a house, and we moved soon after that.  We've never ordered from that pizza place again.

I haven't had any real scary adventures.  The scariest things were probably getting pulled under while tubing a rough section of a the Bitterroot River, and running back from a hike during a lightening storm near Half Moon Bay when I could see the bolts hitting ground & the ocean (a fishing boat was struck & burned).

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am beginning to think I live a very calm and boring life compared to most of you.  But I like boring.  Keep the stories coming...they are funt o read.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

tjrun

Planned about 7 for today, but woke up achy, chills, brain that feels like broken glass....you get the picture.  Right now I'm just suffering through work because I couldn't get a last minute sub.

QOTD:  The scariest "moment" happened quiet a few years ago when my daughter was about 12.  I was coming up my driveway from a run and I heard my daughter screaming "Momma, Momma!!, help! ........"  and crying at the top of her lungs.  She is a really calm child, so I knew something was terribly wrong.  Our driveway was about a quarter of a mile long and woods blocked my view of the pasture where she was.  I'm picturing her tiny frame pinned under her huge barrel horse or something like that.....   But, her month old colt had gotten through the fence and into the pasture with the other horses and with it's new found freedom and friends it started galloping around and horses being horses, well they all then started to run at full speed back and forth like crazy with this new baby smack in the middle of them.  Of course my daughter thinks the new baby will be crushed or end up tangled in the barbed wire fence. She couldn't get the horses to stop and the momma of the baby was having a fit on the other side of the fence.  It turned out fine.  But for that one minute(actually probably 30 seconds) hearing my daughters screams, that was the worst feeling ever!

I guess I'm really lucky.  I can't think of anything that was really serious.  Good question, and I love reading y'all answers.

tjrun

Weights for me today.

QOTD: I have several ranging from finding a dead body to being walked on by a bear. Since the former is really unpleasant I will explain the latter instead. I was hiking the Laurel Highlands trail to Ohiopyle with friends over the course of about 5 days. We were going to camp/white water raft/etc once in Ohiopyle. I was carrying some smoked meat in my pack. One night I was sleeping on the ground and felt someone step on me. I was about to start yelling for them to get off me when I realized the outline was too big to be human. Turned out the bear walked over me to get my pack leaning in a tree. I had to get a new pack when I got home and our food was a little short for the rest of the trip but otherwise we were unscathed.

This may sound weird, but running on vacant rural roads alot ( and the fact that I read way too many mysteries ) I have always been afraid of finding a dead body.

Trail Monster

Thought everyone might get a kick out of thsince nice we all seem to have scary kids stories. My older DD came out of her room screaming and covered in blood one night. We rushed her to the ER and this is what they found:

She swallowed a butterfly-shaped barrette! We were transferred to Children's Hospital and the next morning she was sedated and scoped to remove the barrette.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop