Trailer Trash

Saturated Sundailey (Read 25 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I had a nice 17 mile out n back on the Appalachian.  Started at Boiling Springs and went north before returning.  Started early and had rain for much of the out.  Only saw one person.  On the way back, it was as if it was a totally different run.  Sun came out, humid, and hit tons of hikers - only 4 of which I could identify as thru hikers--everyone else out for a stroll (plus a couple of runners).

QOTD: Do you run out n backs or try very hard to avoid them? If you do, do you prefer the out or the back?

For me, it depends on the trail and how I am feeling.  Today I preferred the out because the rain was very refreshing.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Just getting back from a 6 mile road run and some gym time. My pointers are bouncing all over the house, losing their patience, so I'll head out to log some trail miles with them.

I felt really sluggish on my first run this morning. Probably just a touch of OTS.

QOTD: Most of my daily trail runs are out and back because it's hard to string a loop together on my trails. I don't mind them at all. I like the back better than the out, because my dogs tend to be easier to handle. They're trained to stay close as we make our way back to the trailhead.

Sandy-2

I felt really sluggish on my first run this morning. Probably just a touch of OTS.

Lace, funny you should mention that, just posted an article on it.

qotd:  been doing lots of out-n-backs lately, just easier to manage, but I much prefer loops if I can string some trails together.  Most of my out-n-backs are up-then-down, so coming back is a lot more fun.   :-).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

3.5 miles with the running club's new beginner's group.

I wanted to check this group out because the team that I'm trying to string together for the Tussey Mountainback Relay has several beginners, and I want to find something for them to run more regularly. And they do prefer social settings as well, so I thought it might be a good match.

Found out that it actually will be a great match, also in terms of pace and distance.

Other purpose was to get my daughter to lose her fear of group runs and have some fun together. It worked.

She also gets to run a little slower than we do, but longer stretches, and I think together with our own faster interval runs, this will help prevent overuse injuries and produce a more balanced exercise routine.

QOTD: Maybe a third of my runs are out-and-back, and some loops also contain out-and-back sections. I like them just as much as loops. I also have no preference on the out or back part, but I notice that the back part usually goes by much faster than the out.

Run for fun.

muppy

9.7 miles last night on the trails.

Nice miles Mr Jamie!

QOTD I mix it up. My  favorite loop is started on the horseshoe Trail, mix in some side trails on state game lands, up around Governor Dick tower and the last 3 miles are on the rail trail back to my car. I can get from 9 to 25 miles on it.

runtraildc

Morning folks!  Ended up running Friday afternoon in the woods and it was GREAT.   I wanted to go much further, but I kept myself in check and kept it to 4.  So yesterday was a rest day and today is a gym day.

qotd:  I work to avoid out & backs as much as possible.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

will head out this afternoon for 6-7 miles, going to try out my new Altra Olympus's, weather is really nice and cool (highs in the upper 60's!)

our yesterday run was really nice, nice weather (probably 60's in the mountains), saw a moose and a couple of bunches of elk- ended up @ 21 miles w/ just shy of 5000', wee bit sore today 

one of many meadows that make up Elk Park

qotd: I prefer loops if possible, and am fortunate I can put together a myriad of different distance loops- I do have a few out and backs, usually back as there is typically more downhill on the way back 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

My run was supposed to be an early am one...but DD did not come home until after 6 am...so it will have to be after work if stormsdont detail me.

It is a very saturated Sunday here. Rain rain rain! Going to need a boat pretty soon.

Qotd: I do more loops than out and backs. I don't mind them at all.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head up on the mountain for 11+ miles.   Would like to get in a little more then that but the legs are feeling a little beat up so I won't push too hard. Going to take the trekking poles and start training some with them.  Last week was a good week mileage wise.

QOTD: Right now my trail runs are all out and backs. I prefer loops but those trails are quite a distance away. I prefer the backs because the last 2-3 miles are on a dirt forest road and I can really let it rip. All my road runs are some type of loop.

slosh

I did 11 on a loop course this morning.  73 and 91% humidity at 6am.

Qotd:  weekends I hit the trails which are typically loops. During the week I hit a 'rails to trails' trail and do out n backs.  Prefer the outs usually.  If feeling good I can keep on going another mile or so but then regret that decision sometimes towards on the return.

AT-runner

Tim

15 miles out on AT and back on a Blue Blaze trail.  Hot and humid and the flies are out in full force.  Saw a rattler today sunning on the trail.  He didn't want to move so I gave him the right of way.

Lace - did you buy a house?

Looks like T&C and XT did well at Laurel Highlands.  Can't wait for reports, especially what weather they had since it was pretty humid here.

QOTD:  Most of my runs are loops or lollipops.  Like today, I can easily take a side trail and make a loop out of what would have been an out and back.  If I'm running out and back, I always enjoy the way home because I'm more relaxed and look around more.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

QOTD I mix it up. My  favorite loop is started on the horseshoe Trail, mix in some side trails on state game lands, up around Governor Dick tower and the last 3 miles are on the rail trail back to my car. I can get from 9 to 25 miles on it.

I need to get some directions to this.  It's close enough and I love exploring new trails.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

We need a group run!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

17 on hilly roads at the crack of dawn for me, shower and 15 minute nap, then off to the art fest with the fam. While there, some young shirtless dude came up to me and asked to buy my sunglasses, then when it turned out he didn't have any money, he offered to buy me a beer, then he asked my to just give them to him because it was Sunday. It was a weird exchange. My guess is that his pupils were blown(it was hard to tell - he was shifty) and he was having a hard time seeing xD.

qotd: Out and back is not ideal, but I'll take it over running multiple loops(I'm looking at YOU, Home Trails). I work to avoid the OAB on road runs because we live on a 2 lane highway and although the shoulder is the size of another lane, the traffic zooming by really pisses me off - I duck out and make a country road loop as soon as possible.

oh, and mtwarden, that looks (and sounds) wonderful!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Tacked on another 6.5 hilly miles on the mountain. Hot and humid (80 degrees and 75% humidity), and gnats were really a pest, but still a fun run. I enjoyed it. Felt like a Florida vacation with all the mosquitoes and humidity. 

warden: That looks VERY nice!

Run for fun.