Trailer Trash

Discuss among Yourselves (Read 68 times)

Holden McGruyen

Yeah...I still think it's hilarious. And I find it far more uptight to feel compelled to wear a fully matching kit with corporate logos representing a company that you're not actually sponsored by. I view it as the adult version of dressing up in camo and playing army with the other neighborhood kids.

Runners get hot too. Why don't our shirts have zippers down the front? And we don't even get the benefit of a 30 mph headwind to keep us cool. And we exert way more energy than cyclists....yet, no zippers?

I suppose you're suggesting Killian is fast because he dresses like he does?

Most of the racers around here wearing full kit are actually sponsored by the companies on their uniforms. I used to race for a local team so whenever I rode I wore the team gear because it was part of the arrangement. They give me shit for free, I give them advertising.

Runners exert way more energy than casual cyclists, but not necessarily more than bicycle racers. Big difference between the two groups. Casual cyclists wear all kinds of clothing, from t-shirts to jerseys. My cold weather running tops have zippers but my hot weather stuff is mostly t-shirt. Maybe that's kind of backwards but my t-shirts feel well ventilated enough.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Holden McGruyen

Holden, I was going to comment on those pictures. But, words are failing me at this time. Roll eyes

See what I mean.  Fucked up, right???

Holden McGruyen

To compare the disciplines equitably you have to put forth the same level of intensity for each one.

That's an excellent point. Going at race pace in either (any?) endurance sport is taxing.  It's easier to go at a leisurely pace on a bike though.

Although I earlier said that marathon run is akin to a century road ride, if we're talking about a century road race then things get different. In cycling road races you have peloton dynamics, so it's not a sustained effort over the entire course. Some guys may be up front sheltering their teammate from wind, and their job is to blow up before their designated top guys.  Other guys may be tasked with sprinting at certain places to gain time bonuses so they get to "rest" in the back of the pack until it's their turn to work.

Efficiency comes into play too. Although one may have the cardio base from his sport, if he has poor economy of motion in another sport because he hasn't practice refining his technique, then the other sport will feel very tiring. If his musculoskeletal system hasn't been trained for the rigors of the other sport, then it's gonna hurt your bones and joints.

Snowdenrun

..this is sort of off topic. But I came across this post about Crossfit and enjoyed the read. The comments are fairly entertaining as well.

http://gawker.com/5928989/the-problems-with-crossfit

Rather than saying middle of the pack this or competitive that lets look simply at finishing.

We can all agree that the cutoff time for most 100 mile runs is 30 hours and the cutoff time for most Ironman races is 17 hours.

I say the runner that completes the 100 mile run in 30 hours can complete the Ironman in 17 hours with no additional training (granted they have a basic ability  to swim and bike). I don't think it works the other way unless we are talking about the 'elite' competitors in the Ironman.

Some interesting answers and opinions here. When I look at some of the responses I have to wonder if there has been any consideration to the amount of effort put forth. A runner may complete a marathon at race pace, then take a leisurely 100 mile bike ride that they complete in 10 hours and assume that biking is so much easier. To compare the disciplines equitably you have to put forth the same level of intensity for each one. Just as a 100 mile ultra runner can complete a easy, meandering 100 mile bike ride in 10 hours a fast century rider will be able to complete a 100 mile ultra, if they take plenty of time to do so.

The best way to compare disciplines would be to set parameters such as a century had to be completed with minimal stops and in a maximum 6 - 6.5 hour time frame, and the ultra in a "middle of the pack or better" time frame,otherwise the comparisons are mostly meaningless.

I listened to this podcast during my run yesterday and thought the last segment was apropos to this thread (Ironmans vs. ultras). Warren Pole has competed in both and discusses the differences. They actually cover a good variety of stuff on this one...if you have a spare hour, give it a listen.

http://trailrunnernation.com/2013/04/warren-pole-thoughts-from-london/

dpc3

..this is sort of off topic. But I came across this post about Crossfit and enjoyed the read. The comments are fairly entertaining as well.

Hilarious blog and comments!

Haha thank you for that. I have some friends who are crazy into Crossfit, and from what I can gather from their preachy comments, it seems exactly like this. Nonetheless, they are in amazing shape...

Color commentary:

The other day I was walking back to the office from lunch and we saw this large group of people start running around a very crowded city block. ONE city block. Over and over.  I was confused at first, since I pretty much know about most running events and clubs in the area. Then I walked past an open door that read "Crossfit" and it all clicked. I can't imagine how that makes much sense. if you're going to run at all, why do it at one of the busiest times on a very busy street, in the middle of Philly, OVER AND OVER? I'm not knocking running around in circles, I'm sure we've all been there.  I was mad at the fact that these people seemed very irked that pedestrians had the nerve to walk down the street in the middle of their WOD.

Rant over - I used to want to try this once for fun, when it was first becoming popular, but I have zero desire now.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I know several endurance riders ( horse people ) who do 50ks & 50m as well . I have met a couple who have done the Western States & the Tevis . My friend who does 100's with her horses usually runs 20% of each ride which isn't uncommon , it isn't hard for them to take that fitness to just running .

Watoni

Sorry for joining the discussion late, but this is something I have some experience with.

For example, on April 13 I ran my first 50-mile trail race (Lake Sonoma 50 with 10,500 elevation gain and loss) There I was 68th in 9:21. Winner's time was 6:14 (breaking Dakota Jones' record from last year)

April 27 I rode the Devil Mountain Double Century (206 miles with 20,000 feet of elevation gain and loss). Placed 24th in 14:09 (winner just over 12 hours). I did not follow the Lace-Up plan and wasted over an hour at rest stops, but given I had not ridden 100 miles in one go this year, I needed some rest/fuel.

Both events were very challenging and I can hardly prepare for one adequately, much less both. Competition was much stiffer at Lake Sonoma overall.

Thoughts:

Don't compare general bike riding/racing and a 100-mile race (or even a 50). Compare ultra marathon cycling to ultra marathon running.

On biking: There is a big difference between riding easily and riding in the mountains with time-cutoffs. Feet issues are more critical than saddle issues generally (just invest in good shorts). Getting shoes, cleat alignment, positioning on the bike, etc. dialed in takes work as well. As in running, form and efficiency uphill and down are key. Nutrition in a double century is similar to an ultra run. You can get away with almost anything for a century. There is a reason folks use Hammer, CarboPro, etc. for doubles and beyond.

That said, running a 100-mile race is well beyond a double century. A 50-miler and a very tough DC are fairly equivalent for me. A 100-miler is likely more like Furnace Creek 508 solo (30,000 feet and 508 miles in Death Valley with strict cut-offs, no drafting, etc.).

My own bias is you can fake cycling more, and if your joints are not prepared for running the required distance you have no shot regardless of your aerobic fitness.

As for gear, both runners and cyclists wear silly stuff. I try for low-key labels, which works for everything but my La Sportiva shoes. I wear snobby cycling clothes and custom shoes ...

http://vimeo.com/49697333

By the way, I rode this last summer, and cobbled tunnels are a beast (our fearless leader is in the video)

On weird clothing for running, biking or whatever...

Maybe I am weird, but Lycra bike clothes always seemed pretty normal to me.  What I refuse to wear and tend to snicker at are those long baggy basketball shorts with enough fabric to make a tent out of.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida