Trailer Trash

favorite recovery drink? (Read 220 times)

LB2

Chocolate milk, unless I have a nice chocolate stout waiting for me.

LB2

Trail Dog

Sandy--Coke is medicine for me. I have maybe 4 a year, when I'm feeling nauseated, hungover, or have a bad headache. I don't know if it's the sugar, caffeine, combo thereof, or some other magic ingredient, but I swear when I'm feeling crappy and drink Coke I can feel something slotting into my brain cells and making everything better.

Coke affects me the same way - it is my miracle cure for a hangover, or if I am feeling really really crappy after a long hot run. Luckily I rarely need it, but it sure hits the spot.

I don't use a recovery drink unless I'm out for a long run on the weekend - my favorite is Endurox R4 in chocolate. I would prefer to make a homemade smoothie, but I am usually at least an hour from home for these runs. All other shorter runs during the week, I aim to eat something with carbs and protein within 30 minutes (peanut butter on toast, or a scrambled egg with some fruit).

Irish Luck

Beer.

I generally do my runs on the road in the AM, except when I am playing hooky from work. There is just something nice about that morning beer that really hits the spot now that I am approaching 40.

Even on the weekends. Do my LR, go to the grocery store, grab a pint from the bar at the grocery store at 9am while shopping. Sure, I get looks.

I LOVE IT!  I think I'd give you a look and think to myself, "Why didn't I think of that!?!?"

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

Irish Luck

Coke affects me the same way - it is my miracle cure for a hangover, or if I am feeling really really crappy after a long hot run. Luckily I rarely need it, but it sure hits the spot.

Yes, there have been some runs in the summer (hot, humid), where I feel so incredibly nauseous, that a Coke is the only thing that will help.  If it's a fountain Coke, even better! 

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

nc tam

I'm not choosy and will usually drink whatever is handly and sounds good at the moment.  I have a bad habit of going by the local mini mart and grabbing whatever looks good at the moment.  Last summer I was on a Yoo-hoo kick for a while.  If I'm running from the house I will throw together a smoothie -- yogurt and whatever berries are in the house in the summer, froz fruit in the winter or banana in the winter.

In winter I love walking in from the cold to the smell of coffee.  Hot coffee and milk with lots of sugar hits the spot.  If I'm a ways from home or my favorite coffee shop I will fill the thermos so I have a treat waiting for me in the car.

Also beer. 

As for non-alcoholic bevs, usually milk, coconut water, or gatorade.

sugnim

I usually have a cup of gatorade followed by a cup of coffee followed by a cup of water.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Also beer. 

As for non-alcoholic bevs, usually milk, coconut water, or gatorade.

with your moniker I thought you may say martini! Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

At a race, I'll have a beer once I get my heart and breathing down.   Once I got a "bubble" drinking a beer while hot and sweaty, and I couldn't drink a beer for the rest of the summer.    If I thinkl of it I do like a Chocolate milk as well.

Training runs depend on the time of day.  A morning run  I'll enjoy a coffee, and OJ with second breakfast. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

Messenjah

What is the malted liquor.(beer)
                      What gets you drunker quicker?
                      What comes in bottles or in cans?(beer)
                      Can't get enough of it,(beer)
                      How we really love it,(beer)
                      Makes me think I'm a man,(beer)
                      I can kiss and hug it,(beer)
                      But I'd rather chug it,(beer)
                      Fill my belly up to here,(beer)
                      I could not refuse a,(beer)
                      I could really use a,(beer)
                      Beer, beer, beer.

I can't remember how much I have had,
                      I drank a twelve pack with my dad, BURP!
                      That's my son the drunken manly stud,
                      I'm proud to be his bud,
                      Here have some pretzels,
                      No!
                      I'll call it quits,
                      Those things give me the Schlitz!

Drink with your family,
                      Drink it with your friends,
                      Drink till you're fat,
                      Stomach distends,
                      Beer is liquid bread it's good for you,
                      We like to drink till we spew,
                      EW
                      Who cares if we get fat,
                      I'll drink to that,
                      As we sing once more.

What is the malted liquor,
                      What gets you drunker quicker,
                      What comes in bottles or in cans (beer)
                      Can't get enough of it,(beer)
                      How we really love it,(beer)
                      Makes me think I'm a man,(beer)
                      I can kiss and hug it,(beer)
                      But I'd rather chug it,(beer)
                      Fill my belly up to here,(beer)
                      Golly I adore it,(beer)
                      Come on dammit pour it,
                      Do it for me,
                      Brew it for me,
                      Feed it to me,
                      Speed it to me.(beer)

The most wonderful drink in the world.
                      Hooray

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

In Heaven, there is no beer

That's why we drink it here.

And when we're gone from here

Our friends will be drinking all our beer!

with your moniker I thought you may say martini! Big grin

Love those too, but they're definitely not as refreshing as a nice cold IPA after a long run! I don't really discriminate much when it comes to alcohol. Big grin

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Yes, there have been some runs in the summer (hot, humid), where I feel so incredibly nauseous, that a Coke is the only thing that will help.  If it's a fountain Coke, even better! 

Strange thing is, Coke zero, or diet coke (pepsi) works just as well for me. Looking at the list of ingredients, my guess is it is the citric acid that does the miracle. But honestly, as long as it works and tastes good, I don't care.

I usually have a Chai coffee (coffee plus Chai tea powder plus milk) for recovery. After very long runs (25+ miles), I found Hammer's Whey Protein to help recovery.

Run for fun.

sugnim

I mentioned this in the daily thread, but I thought's I'd bring it up again.  I went to see Scott Jurek speak last night, and he said that he likes to mix pea protein powder and rice protein powder with sports drink after a run.  You can't really argue with what works for one of the greatest ultra runners ever, but I gag at just the thought of this concoction!

Trail Dog

I mentioned this in the daily thread, but I thought's I'd bring it up again.  I went to see Scott Jurek speak last night, and he said that he likes to mix pea protein powder and rice protein powder with sports drink after a run.  You can't really argue with what works for one of the greatest ultra runners ever, but I gag at just the thought of this concoction!

Every morning for breakfast, I have a Vega One chocolate shake (in the blender with unsweetened almond milk, ice and 2 bananas, sometimes a spoon of peanut butter). It is vegan, and the protein comes from pea, saviseed, hemp, and sprouted whole grain brown rice. It is really tasty!