Trailer Trash

Getting ready for my TM 50K + (Read 57 times)

charlesmoman

Chocolate nutrition!

Getting ready for my overnight run on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I am out of my Gu Chocolate Outrage gels, so I guess this will have to do for the chocolate part of my nutrition. I will also have S-caps, PBJs, orange slices (candy and real) and Coke (for the later hours - primarily good old water). Now I am thinking I will start before midnight and go until 8:00 AM. I will easily get a 50K and might go a "little ways" past it if I feel like it. Before the race, I will have one more 50K and a 50-mile training run. The rest will be 20 miles or less for the long runs.

I have some ultrarunning movies on my iPad and iPhone to pass the time when I don't want to watch TV.

I am guessing I will take a pretty good nap on Thursday!

Birdwell

You're nuts .

Good luck! I'm sure the treadmill does a good job preparing you mentally for the ups and downs of ultras.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Good luck

**Ask me about streaking**

Queen of Nothing

Sue

You're nuts .

Good luck! I'm sure the treadmill does a good job preparing you mentally for the ups and downs of ultras.

I second this!!  Plus your plan menu....geeze you might as well eat chips and drink beer!   How long do you expect the 50K to take and are you doing it at a public gym or home....alone...

Good Luck!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

charlesmoman

I am doing it our local Snap Fitness - nice Cybex mills.

I will get there tonight by 11:30 or so and get my "aid station" set up.

There might be someone there then, but I expect to be alone after midnight until about 5 AM or so.

Usually, no one shows up there until 5:30 AM.

I am going to grab and go with the nutrition, just like at ultras I have done.

I really am not going to be eating all of the time!

How long for the 50K?

I am guessing 7 hours or so - not going to trash myself.

I plan on running a 5/1 or 4/1 run/walk pattern for most of the time.

The run phases will be 5 - 5.5 mph and the walk will be 4.0 - 4.2 mph.

Every 4-5 miles, I will jump off - go to the bathroom - grab a snack - one Scap per hour, etc.

I am going to wear my UltrAspire Spry vest for this long run - without the bladder.

I sweat so much, I sometimes have trouble with chafing - even with BodyGlide or other lubricants.

I was in pain after one long TM run and almost had the dreaded red stripes down the front - TMI, I know.

I tape now and that helps, but I am comfortable in the vest.

I always wear that vest outside and never have that problem - it holds my shirt tight.

I might switch into Hokas after a few hours - though my favorite Brooks Glycerins do great on the TM.

It will be warmer tomorrow, but we only have one vehicle and it is a hassle to go to the wildlife refuge right now.

I am 62 and a retired music teacher, so this just works out better for me now.

Soon enough I will be able to get out on the trails before the IT 100 on April 26 & 27.

You can see the route here:

Video of IT 100 route - version 1. Short - less detailed.

Video of IT 100 - version 2. Longer - a lot more photos.

I am praying that the trails up there will be decent March 22, so I can start early and get in 3 loops - 50 miles.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I third the "you're nuts" comment but good luck anyways!!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

charlesmoman

I "fourth" your assessment of my mental state!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

You should make a time lapse video of yourself while you're doing it.  Not that I know how to do that, but I'd watch it

**Ask me about streaking**

charlesmoman

Funny you should suggest that.

I told my wife a few days ago I should set up my Nikon D300 on a tripod and do a time lapse of the run.

I have done a bunch of them before - building a deck, a new concrete driveway and more.

I have them on my YouTube channel.

I just might do that. I would probably set it to take a photo once every 10 seconds.

I think it would be really boring - I will think about it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Kudos for trying, you sure do have guts. Hope it will work out well! The idea with the time lapse is great, would be fun to watch.

Run for fun.

charlesmoman

I would say more stubborn than guts!

Sandy-2

I don't have the time to photoshop something so you'll have to use your imagination .....

Picture some guy lounging in an easy chair with his feet up eating those M&Ms and Snickers bars.  In the background is an empty TM whirling away at breakneck speed.  That would be the only way I do a 50k TM run.

CM, good luck though...  have fun.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I don't have the time to photoshop something so you'll have to use your imagination .....

Picture some guy lounging in an easy chair with his feet up eating those M&Ms and Snickers bars.  In the background is an empty TM whirling away at breakneck speed.  That would be the only way I do a 50k TM run.

CM, good luck though...  have fun.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Have a good run!

charlesmoman

Got 32 miles during the 8 hours at Snap Fitness.

I honestly wasted time at my "aid station" - I took 7 quick breaks I think and I always was off the TM for at least 5 minutes and sometimes 10 or more. My actual overall pace was in the 13's and when running I always was going 5.5 mph.

My stomach got a little iffy at one point (too much Coke I think), so I slowed way down for a short stretch and it calmed right down.

I also got really sleepy around 3 AM, but got through it watching ultrarunning movies on my iPad.

Overall a good experience and I know I will not be in aid stations that long in the actual race.

I also think those 32 miles would have been "easier" on a real trail!

I NEVER want to do that many miles on a TM again!