Trailer Trash

Move on Monday (Read 13 times)

LB2

out the door for four at 4. New job starts today.

QOTD: What is the longest period you have been without power?

So far, no more than about 3 days. But I expect that to change at some point in the future.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

good luck on the new job!

back to the grind for me- oh joy 

will get 4-5 miles in after work

qotd: Have been pretty lucky in that regard, no more than a day.  I do recall one power outage in the middle of winter- temps well below zero and found out that even with a gas furnace, if you have no electricity you have no heat.  Woke up and we could see our breath.  We went into the kitchen, lit the gas burners on the range and closed off the doorway to the living room by hanging a blanket over it.  In about 15-20 minutes it was nice and toasty in there 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Foggy morning here-- would have been a great run. However, I will get out for a few miles later today.

qotd: 5 days, after a fall hurricane about 12 years ago. And then 4 days in the dead of winter after a snowstorm 8 years ago. fortunately, we have mostly gas, so we could take hot showers and cook on the stove. DH has invested in a battery system since then to start the gas furnace ignition switch and power the wifi. Yes, priorities.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good luck today, LB!

I got in some hiking over the weekend, doing a quick little overnight by myself.  Packing up a tent in the rain is such a joy. 

QOTD: Less than 24 hours.  I haven't had to deal with anything crazy.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

LB - hope you had a nice birthday, and how's the taper going?

Maybe a short run at lunch. No sure yet.

QOTD:  Luckily only an hour or two and has only happened 2-3 times in 25 years.  Our power comes down a road that has no trees in the way, so only time we lose power is if a car hits a pole. Now at the office, we've lost power for 1/2 a day a few times.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

qotd: 5 days, after a fall hurricane about 12 years ago. And then 4 days in the dead of winter after a snowstorm 8 years ago. fortunately, we have mostly gas, so we could take hot showers and cook on the stove. DH has invested in a battery system since then to start the gas furnace ignition switch and power the wifi. Yes, priorities.

My sister in Kensington had similar long outages with those storms.  She had PEPCO on speed dial.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

out the door for four at 4. New job starts today.

QOTD: What is the longest period you have been without power?

So far, no more than about 3 days. But I expect that to change at some point in the future.

Without power: two years. Lived on a tropical island with no phone, no lights, no motorcars for two years.

In US: 5 days +/-. 2009 ice storm in Arkansas.

Ran a few miles this morning.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

After stacking wood yesterday I was just sore and tired this morning so I blew off the run and walked the dogs briefly.  I am looking forward to day light savings time to help me out of bed.

QOTD:  4 days...Mike was out of town.  Attached the generator to the fridge, made a fire in the bedroom and laid in bed reading books.  My wine cabinet was well stocked ...I loved it!!

LB2:  Have fun at your new work.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Took all day yesterday to get home so no run. Today is also a SRD. I have no idea what is happening with my calf, it was starting to feel better and then I walked for about 18 mi over two days and it started bugging me again. I think I need to do some light running on it to get it better.

qotd: We went 11 days without power after Hurricane Ike (in 2008). It was ok for a while since it was relatively cool after the hurricane, but the last few days without power started getting to be a pain because the hot and humid stuff started to return and it sucked trying to sleep at night without A/C. 

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

Going to try for 7 miles.  Will run the first part the meet DW and walk some.  Feeling tired and dopey for some reason.

LB2 - Good luck with the new job.

GC100k -  Where is this tropical island? Sounds like a place I need to head off to. Bet my blood pressure would drop a few points...........................unless I were having to watch out for Komodo dragons.

QOTD:  So brief of a time that I don't even really remember. Our house runs on all electricity and I can't remeber one time in the past 24 years where we had to worry about water, heat or food spoilage.  Been really lucky because for years we were on the end of the line and there were several times that our neighbors that were on another line were out for days. One was due to remnants of storms from a hurricane that wiped out lines to the south and another was when the northeast grid went down several years ago. It affected those living 100 yards away but not me.

LB2 - Why do you expect things to change for you?

GC100k

GC100k -  Where is this tropical island? Sounds like a place I need to head off to. Bet my blood pressure would drop a few points...........................unless I were having to watch out for Komodo dragons.

Maldives. No Komodo dragons. Tropical paradise but turns out it's pretty hard to live a pre-industrial life in a hot climate in close contact with people with no privacy.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I got to see a Komodo Dragon in person a few weeks ago. It was pretty damn cool.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Getting ready for a few miles in the rain. At least it’s not cold.

QOTD: 3 days, during the coldest days of last winter. Temps in the single digits, and no other heat source than electric. It got a bit cold toward the end.

It happened because the toilet flooded, water ran down through the vents into the heat ducts and into the heat pump, which fried both the heater and the main switchboard. At least nobody got electrocuted.

Run for fun.

LB2

Going to try for 7 miles.  Will run the first part the meet DW and walk some.  Feeling tired and dopey for some reason.

LB2 - Good luck with the new job.

QOTD:  So brief of a time that I don't even really remember. Our house runs on all electricity and I can't remeber one time in the past 24 years where we had to worry about water, heat or food spoilage.  Been really lucky because for years we were on the end of the line and there were several times that our neighbors that were on another line were out for days. One was due to remnants of storms from a hurricane that wiped out lines to the south and another was when the northeast grid went down several years ago. It affected those living 100 yards away but not me.

LB2 - Why do you expect things to change for you?

Because we were out for 14 hours after a serious thunderstorm. When we get something serious, I expect days...

LB2

LB2

LB - hope you had a nice birthday, and how's the taper going?

Taper is not bad. I shortened it to about 10 days. But my last long run was a week or so ago. Shorter, faster stuff is how I am doing it this time. Feeling good.

LB2