Trailer Trash

Terribly Hot Tuesday (Read 38 times)

LB2

I think around 5 miles is on the agenda tonight, trails.

QOTD: What is the biggest mistake you have made as a runner?

Not respecting the distance because I had run it before, and I was in much better condition than I was at the previous 100 miler. As such, I approached that race a little too casually and paid the price. Looking back, I think that all distances should be approached with the appropriate amount of preparedness, but mostly, they should be approached with the right attitude. Part of that attitude is for the runner to understand that the trail and the day doesn't care about you. So, you better be prepared for every possible disaster, especially in longer races. And when disaster strikes, and it will eventually, you acknowledge your mistakes; pick yourself up; move on to the next race with confidence that you will not make the same mistake again.

LB2

runtraildc

Hi all-

6 miles planned with the running group tonight.  Since most of the group is faster than me, this serves as my 'speed' workout, too.

LB- I"m glad the heat is staying on your side of the country.   It feels like fall in DC.

qotd:  underpreparing for the heat and hills.  It wasn't pretty.

NorthernHarrier

There will be some tempo intervals this morning, probably around 8 total miles and then biking tonight.  Legs are tired though and I could feel my quads groaning a little just using the stairs this morning. Hot shower I think before the run might help. Or a nap.

QOTD--Thinking I'm a distance runner without the body of a Kenyan. I still blame my parents.

Plenty of screwups along the way but I can't really say any big mistakes, just part of learning and life. All part of the package.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got some strength training in this morning, feel rested enough now after the weekend that I'll get a run in this evening (5-6 miles)

qotd: probably not listening to my body close enough ie starting back too soon after an injury

^ no offense to any Kenyan's (or any ultra lean runner!), but I don't think I'd trade (even knowing that I would be much faster) for my more "clydesdalesque" physique Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Hi all! 

I haven't run in 4 days. Not injured, just was on a perfect Caribbean island and enjoyed every second of it. See my other post (Big News) for some updates on everything that's happened over the past few days!

QOTD: Probably hydration related. I tend to get dehydrated easily (likely too many cocktails in my life) so now I carry water during every race 13.1 and longer. It makes things go so much better for me.

XtremeTaper

About 6 miles last night looping a nice section of trail around the reservoir. The wife tagged along for a walk with the spaniel while I ran the pointer. Could hear that spaniel barking away in the woods. Had a run in with the ranger last night but he seemed cool with my leashless beast, I guess since I had her healed and leashed up within 10 seconds of seeing him. I'll run something similar this evening. Might be raining. That would be ok.

QOTD: Honestly I've made no big mistakes other than doing stupid things like running Virgil Crest 50 miler with ITBS. I've had things crop up during ultras with feet mostly due to poor sock choices and that is no fun but not the end of the world. Honestly my biggest mistake I can think of that jumps right in my head is when I ran my first 5k. I was less than 2 months off my first marathon, somewhat stoked with myself, and decided to go out balls to the wall and see if I could hang on for a sub20. Ha, that last mile was one of the longest miles of my life. Old men (meaning my age now) and children passed me as if I was standing still. I had the side stitch from hell. Next year, I respected the distance and trained for a fast time. Ah... humble pie!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Watoni

Hopefully 5-10 today, but work has already started and it is not 7am yet ... hmmmmm

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Ended up bailing on yesterdays run to give the foot another day off.  Today for sure.

QOTD: My biggest mistake was taking the month of July+ off of running last year.  It's always a mistake for me to run less than 20 miles in a week because it means I will have an impending TMTS injury like right now.

**Ask me about streaking**

sugnim

Good morning everyone.  I fell asleep last night around 8:00 and woke up at 7:00 this morning.  Apparently I was tired.  No run this morning.  But, when I go to work, there was cold pizza & beer in the fridge.  You know you have a good job when there is cold pizza & beer in the fridge.  I opted for the pizza, but left the beer.  I feel well-rested & satiated.

QOTD:  I don't think I've made any huge mistakes overall, but there have been times when I went out without being hydrated, went out without spending enough time in the bathroom first, gotten lost on snowy trails, and I've signed up for at least one race that I wasn't adequately prepared for.  But, these little things are how I learn, so I guess they may have been necessary mistakes.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

5+ miles on some trails - and actually ran with 3 others this morning.  I am not used to running in a group.  But as a result I learned about some potential trails I did not know about.  Me thinks I need to go exploring.

QOTD: I have made lots of mistakes but to date the biggest was last summer when I tried to be an "everyday" runner.  I ran daily in June and then 6 days/week in July.  This all uncovered some mechanical/gait issues I have and caused me to go into the abyss of injuries...still dealing with to date (although getting better - knock on wood).  I have learned that I am ok and should be ok with lower overall mileage, I don't need to compare myself with any other runners, and I need to simply stick with what works for me.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DigDug2

7.5 this morning, on vacation visiting family in Ohio.  Local "trail," which is just a two-mile flat, crushed stone trail around a lake - pretty much a sidewalk but softer.  Beautiful, cool weather - August is my new favorite summer month.

QOTD:  I can't point to big mistakes per se, but my biggest regret is taking off long periods of time.  I've run a lot over the last 15-20 years, but I've taken a few 1-3 year breaks due to life, stress, laziness or a combination thereof.  This means I've had to "start over" a lot in terms of fitness; I think I'd be a much stronger runner without these hiatuses (hiati?).

jonferg67

Endless trails

6.5 mile hill loop this morning, another perfect weather morning.

QOTD: Undertraining for a trail marathon was the biggest. Lots

of smaller 'learning opportunities'.

Low_O2

Got in a nice hike at the local ski area last night. Put DS in the backpack and headed straight up the slope for ~ 1.5 miles and 1600ft of elev gain. Then turned around and moseyed my way down the ski runs. Dog had a great time getting some all too rare off leash time, running full speed until I leashed him back up near the bottom. Probably head out for a short run tonight. I'm feeling a bit lost in this time of recover, maintain, and taper. No real plan I'm following currently.

QOTD: Probably would be doing too much too soon when I signed up for my first race. Ran three days in a row coming off no real running background and ended up with a nasty case of ITBS which I ended up fighting for 1.5 years.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Gonna run 6 after work tonight with Earl.  Should have gotten up this am, Earl was trying to get me moving but as long as I petted him he let me stay in bed.

QOTD:  Still mad at myself for dropping out at 24 miles in a 50K.  runtraildc...that's what did me in heat and hills!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

32 mile round trip bike to work today.  Nice day here, although 'twas a little humid this morning.

QOTD: My mystery injury.  No idea how/why/when, but I'm sure I did something stupid to get stuck with this.

Running is dumb.