Trailer Trash

Winter 100-miler in or near PA? (Read 41 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have set my mind on trying a 100-miler in the winter. Preferred area is within driving distance of central PA.

Any suggestions?

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Have only read about this one

Beast of Burden - Winter in Lockport, NY along the Erie Canal.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

The Meadows out at Centre Hall has some good psychiatrists, you may want to discuss the issue with them   .

Check out Ultrasignup.com. I think I had seen some on there.

NorthernHarrier

Well it may be a little tough to drive but you could maybe treat yourself to a trip to Hawaii and run H.U.R.T. in Jan.  I'll gladly be one of your crew for a plane ticket.   BTW--I know it's full and a lottery and all that but a trip to Hawaii that time of year is probably not a bad thing.

For a little more adventure there is a 100 mile snowshoe race in Vermont in Feb. That could be interesting.

Also a 150 mile race on a rail trail in N Wi. on New Years day. A couple shorter options there too but I couldn't imagine anything much worse personally.

Don't you know such long running is bad for you?  

moonlightrunner

I have set my mind on trying a 100-miler in the winter. Preferred area is within driving distance of central PA.

Any suggestions?

if you find one I would like to sign up as your pacer! PA is not terribly far from where I am at. Isn't there one in Indianna.. .not sure it is a 100 miler. Seems like it is in mid December.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Looks like FL, TX, AZ and CA are your winter choices per Ultra Race Calendar.

Maybe we can arrange a Fat Ass race for anyone wanting to Join in on the fun.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Don't forget NV. Jackpot Ultra, Feb 14, has a 100M option as well as 6-hour, 12-hour, and 24-hour.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

some call me Tim

Very well organized race, though I've never run it myself(a friend ran and won the 50 last year). It's entirely flat and on the canal towpath, often snowy and windy.

Have only read about this one

Beast of Burden - Winter in Lockport, NY along the Erie Canal.

moonlightrunner

it isn't a winter race without snow and cold...it is merely early summer in the above locations.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks, these are some very intriguing options (not so much for Centre Hall, though!).

I think I might look into snowshoe races as well. I have snow shoes, but not "race" or "running" ones, just plain old hiking ones, but they are comfortable, and I have hiked/run a lot in them without problems. I guess it would be the same as doing a tri on a not-so-high-tech bike.

The 150-mile race, and the Jackpot Ultra look good, too, I'll have to check on open spots, though.

Pacers welcome!

AT: Maybe together with Jamie, and moonlight, we could organize our own "across the years" fatass run on the AT? I have never run on the AT, and it sounds as if I might like it.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

I'm in for a fatass at run! I. The winter even!

Couch: what kind of snowshoes do you have?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My first thought when I read your post was "Are you CrAzY????" I am not sure your mind has recovered yet from ES.

My second thought before reading other's feedback was the Beast of Burden in NY.

On the other hand, a winter FA in PA sounds fantastic.  With the right logistics and timing, I would be down for that.  I love winter trail running.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm a definite maybe for a fatass...

**Ask me about streaking**

DigDug2

In March (ok, not winter, but almost), NJ has a 100M as part of its "ultra festival" (10M loops): http://www.njtrailseries.com/njultrafestival

Sandy-2

Texas is within driving distance of PA right?  Just a long driving distance.

Anyway, there is always Rocky Raccoon on January 31, 2015.  100 miles, 5 - 20 mile loops, very flat.  You will not need your snow shoes. Unfortunately I will not be around to offer up my pacing duties.  I won't even be able to work the Damnation aid station.

tbd.