Trailer Trash

Fat Tuesday (Read 24 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Fitting title after I got on the scale today. 

Going out for a long run. Meeting up with a buddy who's training for his 5th Boston.  He wants to stay on logging roads, i want to hit some trails. We'll see who wins. After the run we'll stop and get a Fasnacht or two (doughnut).

With Lent starting tomorrow, I'm always reminded of my favorite Irish joke.

An Irishman moved into a tiny hamlet in County Kerry, walked into the pub and promptly ordered three beers. The bartender raised his eyebrows, but served the man three beers, which he drank quietly at a table, alone. The next evening the man again ordered and drank three beers at a time. Soon the entire town was whispering about the Man Who Orders Three Beers. Finally, a week later, the bartender broached the subject on behalf of the town. "I don't mean to be prying but folks around here are wonderin why your always order three beers and drink them alone?". "Tis a wee bit odd I would be supposin" the man replied. "You see, I have two brothers, and one went to America and the other went to Australia. We promised each other that we would always order two extra beers, whenever we would partake, as a way of keeping up the family bond."

The bartender and the whole town were pleased with his answer and with the reverence for family and soon the Man Who Orders Three Beers became a local celebrity and source of pride to the hamlet. Then one day the man came in and ordered only two beers. The bartender served them with a heavy heart. Word flew around the hamlet quickly. Prayers were offered for the soul of one of the brothers. The next day, the bartender said to the man, "folks around here, me first of all, want to offer our condolences to you for the death of your brother"

The man pondered for a moment then replied, " You'll be happy to hear that my two brothers are alive and well. It's just that I, meself, have decided to give up drinking for Lent."

QOTD:  Are you following the Olympics?  DW and I watch every night. Loved the biathlon pursuit yesterday.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Fitting title after I got on the scale today. 

Ironic you say that, as I tipped the scale for heaviest so far this year this morning.  URD yesterday didn't help, nor did the fried chicken and biscuit for dinner.  I'm hoping to get 8 this evening.

QOTD:  Yup, watch every night.  So hard to keep up with all the events though.  Biathlon is cool to watch.  I wonder if I can mimic a similar challenge.  I could setup a 50 yard target.  Run as hard as I can down and up a 0.4 mile hill and see how well I can shoot the 10/22 (For safety sake, I wouldn't run with the gun.  Also my neighbors might get a little concerned).

Funny joke btw.... my kind of Lent!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Great joke Tim!

I did a crossfit workout yesterday- the horror!               

"Murph" named for a fallen Navy SEAL (also a Medal of Honor recipient)

1 mile run

300 bodyweight squats

200 push-ups

100 pull-ups

1 mile run

the SEAL's do the workout with 20-ish pounds of body armor, I skipped the armor

Hoping to hit the trails this evening.

qotd:  watched part of the first night- figure skating, haven't watched since- sounds like I should have been- will have to look at a broadcast schedule

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

100 pull-ups

I am working on attempting ONE pull-up and I will feel very accomplished when I get there.  LOL.

I got nothing today.  Tuesdays are really when I should be running, but we have an appointment to see a rental after work and then the boyfriend's youngest is coming over tonight, so I'll probably wind up being lazy.

QOTD: Yes, some of it.  We've been watching the snowboarding lately.

Running is dumb.

Gator eye

It was 4 below this morning and my cold weather gear can almost stand up by themself so I threw those in the wash and I hit the treadmill for a hour

QOTD: I ve ben watching what I can while on the treadmill

Sandy-2

Fat Tuesday is right, I just got a bunch of Thin Mints delivered. And I’m taking a few days off from running. Control.

qotd: Yes, we switch between the 2 nbc stations (I try to find the skiing stuff).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

Me too!

I am working on attempting ONE pull-up and I will feel very accomplished when I get there.  LOL.

Just returned from 4 miles in Rock Creek. It was a slog from the moment I left the car. I'd like to blame it on the leaves hiding mud over frozen ground, but the legs felt like lead weights the entire way so it was really me and not the trail. It was a beautiful morning out on the trails though. Passed a park police horse ranger (is that the right term?). Never see them on  the trails, but lo, he was out today. On the largest horse I've ever seen that was not a Clydesdale. Horse people here-- are there Clydesdale crosses? This was a big horse. I'm 5'7" and I think I would have needed a stool to climb into the saddle. Quite a beautiful animal.

qotd:Yes-- watched the women's half-pipe last night and of course, it was amazing. The men's luge the other night was exciting.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Dragged my arse out of bed to head out for at least 3 miles....Earl had different idea and wanted to eat grass. So I aborted the run for a walk.   I have Dr apt so leaving work early and will run and than hit the gym after...not returning to work.

AT and Bertto: Also a fellow fatty    I am hoping the weight is high  because of muscle bulk not fat. 

Warden:  Really 100 pull ups?  Wow impressive!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I should clarify, less folks think I can jump up to a bar and knock out 100 straight pull-ups (am guessing that probably no one could do that). You’re allowed to break up the exercises any way you want, just have to complete the required reps. I did 20 sets of 15 squats/10 push-ups/5 pull-ups. I won’t say that it makes it easy, because it’s not- the last sets were painful!

my mile times were nothing to write home about- 7:30 mile 1, 7:50 mile 2.

I will also add that my chest, triceps, lats, quads and glutes are all sore today 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

I could sooo do that workout, easy peasy..............it might take me a couple of days but I could do it

AT-runner

Tim

My friend bailed on me, after he had a bad call night in the OR.  I had a great long run. 20 miles (or close enough).

Snow and ice still around on some trails.

This is / was the trail. Water was pretty high in spots.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

20 miles- sounds like you are fully mended 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Bert-o

I lost my rama

AT - Impressive run!

Warden - Now that's a workout.

For the PA folks... I was thinking about doing the Naked Bavarian (not "doing" but doing) either 20M or 40M in a couple weeks as a long training run.  But that's beside the point.  One entrant caught my eye, because he's from the same town where I grew up, Wellsboro PA.  I haven't been back in quite a number of years and I saw that the population shrunk from 4,000 to 3,275 since I lived there.  His name didn't ring a bell though, but on ultrasignup, it shows among other races he did ES 100 last year and signed up for Tahhoe 200 ER this year.  (I always feel a little weird stalking people this way)  It would be cool to try to catch up with him to see how that little town is doing, and oh yeah, those races!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

20 miles- sounds like you are fully mended 

Gets sore, but no sharp pain, so just ignoring it. 

AT-runner

Tim

AT - Impressive run!

Warden - Now that's a workout.

For the PA folks... I was thinking about doing the Naked Bavarian (not "doing" but doing) either 20M or 40M in a couple weeks as a long training run.  But that's beside the point.  One entrant caught my eye, because he's from the same town where I grew up, Wellsboro PA.  I haven't been back in quite a number of years and I saw that the population shrunk from 4,000 to 3,275 since I lived there.  His name didn't ring a bell though, but on ultrasignup, it shows among other races he did ES 100 last year and signed up for Tahhoe 200 ER this year.  (I always feel a little weird stalking people this way)  It would be cool to try to catch up with him to see how that little town is doing, and oh yeah, those races!

Fun race. Did it a few years ago on some really wet and muddy trails. Outside chance we might be there (DW and I) this year for the 20.