Trailer Trash

My recovery continues (Read 43 times)

charlesmoman

Six weeks after my accident, I had an important ortho appointment yesterday.

My doctor said my x-rays looked really great and now I can move on.

I got crutches and will begin to use them and I can begin to put weight on my left foot - as I can tolerate it.

It makes it a lot easier to use my walker too, since I don't have to hold my body weight up.

I start PT next week - 3 times a week - and I know I need it after 6 weeks of no walking.

I asked about running and he thought I meant during the next 6 weeks and said I should wait on that.

I said, no, I meant after the 6 weeks,

He said starting jogging 3 months after this is serious of a wreck was ambitious, but not impossible - with care.

So we will see. He said I might be able to do some light jogging mixed in with walking after the next appointment, if I could do it without pain. I will not push it, but am looking forward to getting back to running this summer for sure.

I also asked if was it reasonable to think I could go back to the Indiana Trail 100, next April.

He said he thought I would be fine and wanted a photo for the office when I finished.

He also liked my 100-inch ultra DNF at the IT 100. : )

Relentless forward progress.

moonlightrunner

Charles, that is wonderful news! Congratulations on your amazing progress. Please continue to keep us posted. You continue to inspire.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

AWESOME new, Charles.  Start slow and build.  Very happy for you.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Charles, that is wonderful news! Congratulations on your amazing progress. Please continue to keep us posted. You continue to inspire.

+1

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

charlesmoman

Walking down the driveway:

First driveway walk 6 weeks post accident!

charlesmoman

LB2

Good news. Hang in there.

LB2

charlesmoman

Baby steps! - link to 10 second video.

I do not do this much. I still use the walker 99% and switch to crutches this week.

Still, it is exciting to be able to do this.

I now believe my doctor who says I will be lightly jogging in 6 weeks.

Look out 2015 IT 100!

What a great attitude, that will surely help your recovery tremendously. Glad to hear you're doing well.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Your progress is amazing! You are such an inspiration to keep going even when things are tough.

Do you have pain from the fractures when you walk? I imagine that as the pelvis and the spine are places that cannot really be immobilized to heal quickly, the pain lingers for quite a while. I guess it takes a lot of courage to start walking again.

Have fun with the PT, I am sure this will help you get back to strength soon again!

Run for fun.

charlesmoman

When I walk with crutches or a walker, it is more like really tight in many muscles, not too much pain.

Now today there was more pain, but it was due to the start of PT.

Today's session included some serious stretching and that did hurt, but it has to be done.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It is sad how fast the muscles and tendons tighten and stiffen up if you can't move them. I remember when I broke my elbow, the hardest part of the recovery was to get it to move again. That stretching just hurt, and not just the elbow, but all other joints around it, too, shoulder, wrist, neck, fingers. Now to imagine that for your lower body, that sounds really challenging.

Worst is that it feels as if everything was fine, you could move it if you wanted to, until you realize that you can't move it even a little bit, as hard as you may try. It's hard to imagine at that point that in a few months, you'll be moving pretty much fine again. It takes a lot of work and commitment. Best wishes to you for staying strong!

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

I saw they had you using a walker before crutches. Why was that?

Several years ago I had several severely herniated disks that left me unable to walk due to the pain and partial paralysis.  PT wanted me to use a walker, which I tried. I found it sucked as I was much more unstable and couldn't maneuver as well with it. It also made me put too much weight on my bad leg which was excruciating. I told them I was using the crutches which they weren't happy about. I also found that once I could bear weight on my affected leg it was easier to  teach the leg to work right again.

Just wondering what your perspective was.

charlesmoman

I guess every therapist has their way.

I was trained in rehab, while in the hospital, with the walker first.

I also had 4 fractured ribs on the left side - 9-12 - very painful.

When we tried the crutches, it was just killer and exhausting holding them away from the ribs.

One morning I did a short trip down the hall with the crutches and was exhausted and close to falling down.

You have to factor in the severe trauma my whole body had take when crushed by the other car.

I still have to "budget" my energy reserves each day - decide where I will use it, because I will at some point be toast.

With the walker, I very stable and confident.

Now I switch between the walker and crutches, depending on the situation.

When I go to the gym, like this morning - I use the walker because it can just sit there next to me while doing a machine.

With a crutch or crutches, I would have to be bending way down to pick them up as I moved from machine to machine.

Around the house, I usually opt for one crutch and do well.

When wiped out, at home I use the wheelchair. I also use the wheelchair if we go someplace that requires some distance - like at church.

I get wheeled up to the stage, then switch to crutches or the walker once there and playing.