Trailer Trash

Thick air Thursday (Read 34 times)

runtraildc

Got in just under 5 miles this morning.  Very warm and humid, which caught me a little by surprise.  First couple of miles were fast, then I crashed as the heat and humidity caught up with me.  My body is really missing those cool and dry WY and MN temps.   The hamstrings were also tight, which reminded me that I have not done any yoga since early July.  Might fit that in today later.

qotd:  Weekend plans (racing or otherwise)?  My sister and her kids are coming to visit and we'll be doing some canning (roasted tomato salsa, peaches, some jam).  It's much more fun and less work as a team effort.   I came back to a overflowing garden and it needs to be dealt with.  Running, no big plans.

And yesterday, my kids had a guinea pig named Fuzzy Bob.  And I had a Brittany spaniel growing up named 'rusty', who was, well, rust colored.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I should be able to get in a few miles tonight...in the humidity.  This should pass soon though and the cool crisp autumn air will be upon us!

dc - sounds like you had a good trip.  Feel free to share any good pics you took our there! 

QOTD: No big plans at all actually.  We don't even have plans for Monday to have people over or go anywhere.  It's a little weird but I like it.  I have plenty of things to do around the house.  But I do plan to get in a long run...at some point.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Felt surprisingly good on a hot and humid 10 miler this morning.  Went out and back on the AT and stopped to talk to a SOBO thru hiker. He had a story about a homeless guy bugging people for food at a shelter he was staying at last night.  Said the guy wouldn't stop asking for stuff. I've heard of this 2 times so far this year, and hopefully not going to be a big problem. Most hikers have very little to spare as far as food goes, so probably barking up the wrong tree.

dc - good luck with the canning.  DW freezes a lot of stuff now after having some cans go bad 2 years ago. Hey, where are your trip pics? I think a trip report is in order!

QOTD:  Pool party at our house tomorrow night, Long run Saturday, crab feed Sunday in Baltimore, to see my niece and her 1 yo baby (from Utah). Monday meeting some people for a morning group run on the AT and then going to a cookout for DW in honor of her leaving her old job.  Her new job starts Tuesday. That's about it, I think.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Got home from work to find the pavers already here hard at work. Didn't get much sleep last night so a nap was in order, but with all the noise that wasn't going to happen. They just left so I think I'll lay down for awhile.  Spent a little time talking to the one worker. Found out that he does some mountain biking, hiking and a little bit of trail running.  Gave me some web sites to look up for maps and other stuff.

Probably going to wait until DS gets home then we will do a 7.4 mile road run.

QOTD: Might do a long run on Saturday. If not then it will be pushed off until Tuesday. Other than that it will be just working on things around the house. Probably do some grilling on Sunday then back to work on Monday.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Heading out into the heat for a few miles on the rail to trail. I'm already dreading the sections that are in full sun, but that's part of my personal challenge, so here we come!

QOTD: No plans. Work, and catching up with the kids. Which is really necessary, after 4 days of school already! 

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

4.7 a m miles with mutts.  Nice and cool this morning...it's September.   My husband says he needs to get the wood spilt because winter is coming...umm we live in California even in the dead of winter we still have m any, many, many beautiful days  when we could spilt the wood.  

QOTD:  We are going to Reno for all you can eat sushi and a concert, Incubus.  Saturday and Sunday the old man will be gone.   I plan on repairing the tent and filling holes in the yard both damages caused by Jack and generally try to get the house in order for company the following weekend.   Monday we are boating.   Oh yea may do the group run Sunday.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

some call me Tim

I'll get in 5-7 around here a bit later.... did some more trail work this morning so that the newest addition is technically passable, though several hung and fallen trees((sometimes this whole property seems like a giant mass of downed trees) need to be cleared including a big cottonwood. I don't know what it is about those things but they're so goddamn hard when they're still green- I occasionally get sparks from the chainsaw and it's very slow going. Once they dry out a bit it gets easier. Anyway, the big loop is now over 3/4 mile... ugh! sooo slow, but I'll hit that mile mark next season with the last of the trail cutting.

Have fun canning, dc! It doesn't happen that much in my family, but I know what you mean about the group effort being fun... one of the things I llove about the fall. I hope to be cidering here in a month or so.

qotd: no races, though my kids are doing a last overnight at my folks' before the school year and the wife and I are having some people over, some of whom are trail runners and hikers and I hope to show around the grounds. Very few people have even seen my handiwork.

muppy

5.4 miles yesterday, for being 90 and humid I felt really good.

QOTD  I will be working this weekend, but I do believe  I was told we are going to 2 picnics.

NorthernHarrier

Got up and out fairly early this morning to try to beat the heat but not early enough. It got Africa hot and ugly real quick so my plans for some fast paced road miles turned into more like some mile type tempo fartlek stuff with some walks in between to try to regroup. Got 'er done but it was an effort. A character builder I guess.

Blarg--I know the efforts you're putting in. I built  a serpentine trail on my property of a little over a mile with more planned. It was a constant work in progress as the main purpose was for mountain biking and then just a couple years ago they started building these awesome bike trails just 10 minutes from my cabin so I abandoned my efforts and run and bike there. Good luck with the project.

QOTD-Nothing specific planned as we are staying in town this weekend. Would like to go see the new movie out "A walk in the woods". Just some brainless entertainment.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

AT - A couple years ago I encountered a homeless on the AT.  It was early morning and he was sleeping at the bridge over Rt 11.  I had to jump over him.  He certainly wasn't a hiker but had a sleeping bag and some other stuff.  I never talked to him because he was gone by the time I came back through.

I think I am running the AT Monday morning too.  (I haven't decided between Saturday morning or Monday.). I assume you are doing your area.   I am running the valley section (Scotts Farm to BS out n back) - need to get some similar trails to BC.

Blarg - is that a pond/lake on your property?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DigDug2

6 at lunch.  Just got back from some meetings in Toronto - good running along the lake.

QOTD:  Going to the Red Sox game Friday night.  Soccer tournament x 3 kids this weekend.  May do a 10M road race on Saturday.  Weather looks great, low 80s and not humid - looking forward to being outside all weekend.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

8.5 miles. The first 6 were great, the last 2 a sweaty slog. It felt hot and humid, but according to the weather service, it wasn't that bad at 86 and 50% humidity. I don't know what happened, maybe I just took it a bit too fast in the beginning.

Harrier: The movie's out already? I might go see it with DH. The trailer points to a fun movie.

Run for fun.

LB2

I ran 4 this morning. I was a little ahead on my mileage for the week.

QOTD: I have 10 miles scheduled for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Then, I have a 20 miler on Monday, early before cooking.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Blarg - Nice trail system.  I'm envious. Many times I've wished that my property was all woodland instead of farmland.  Is that a power line next to your property and if so, can you run on that?  What mapping system did you use to create the map?

DD2 - Enjoy the Soccer tournament. I miss those days of watching the kids play.

NHLA

12 miles 1 hr 37 min.  Three Arrows Ranch.  Organic cows. Look the same as regular cows.

qotd   1/2 marathon in Asheville sat.  Thinking about running but the course is so hard you know you will have a crap time.