Trailer Trash

It's Freakin Fridailiy (Read 18 times)

Daydreamer1

Yep, it's freaking Friday again @%$&^!!! .  While all you sad sacks are cheering two days off it's back to the grind for me tomorrow, one more day of freedom .

Yesterdays efforts at updating my CDL online failed miserably so now I have to go and stand in line at the DMV .  Going to try to get the first spot in line so gotta get going.

Going to hit the gym today and with the weather being so nice just might try to get in a 5 mile run as well.

QOTD: Driver or flyer?

How far do you have to travel before you start to look for flights?  I love to fly, but I hate to fly.  Love being up there and don't even mind the hustle and bustle of the airport, but I hate the TSA and how the airlines cram you in so tight. At the same time I love driving in any and all conditions. So If it's going to the east or west I'll drive until I run out of roads and it turns into water. If I'm going north I'll drive until there are no more roads. To the south anything across the Rio Grande would probably mean a flight.

I've also calculated the costs of driving vs flying and have found that 80-90% of my trips it's cheaper to drive than fly.  I calculate all costs, such as airport parking fees, bike rental etc.

One of my co-workers in flying to Florida. She was telling me how cheap it was especially since they are driving another 100 miles out of their way to get to a bigger airport. Saved $50.00 on tickets............then spent $150.00 on a motel so they didn't have to get up so early .

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good morning.  Crazy that it is 53 deg this morning in February.  Supposed to get up to 76.  Wish I didn't have such a conscience about calling off work.  It would be a nice day to go out and play.

DD - Why are you trying to get your CDL? Changing jobs?

QOTD: We don't travel much.  But I grew up in a family that drove a lot.  We drove older siblings halfway across the country to college.  We made vacations out of them.  It was nothing for us to drive 12-16 hours a day for a couple days.  DW hates being in the care for very long.  So our longest trips are 3-4 hours down to the shore.  I haven't flown in a while.  But I would have to simply weigh the cost of flying versus driving (and time of driving too).

Having said that, I would love to take a train ride across the US to see everything.  Someday.

QOTD2: Plans for the weekend?

Me - not much.  Boys have their last basketball games.  I need to get some painting done at home.  I hope to sneak in some decent running.

Have a great Friday and a great weekend.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

So I was second in line this morning and was in and out within a 1/2 hour.  All new people working there since the last time I ws in. All very friendly compared to the old ones. Much more efficient as well.

DD - Why are you trying to get your CDL? Changing jobs?

I've had my CDL ever since I was old enough to get one, actually long before they were called a CDL. I keep it up because it's one of those things you don't want to lose and have to get back if you ever want or need it. I rarely drive a semi anymore but With my medical certificate being up to date I can jump in one and go at any time.   Rules that the Obama administration put out have made it a lot more difficult and expensive to get.  For example I can no longer do it by mail or computer, but have to go into DMV with multiple forms of ID besides my drivers license. Things like Tax records, passport, concealed weapons permits etc,  to show that you live where you say you do.  It's a pain but then it does keep illegals from getting a CDL and driving all over the country committing criminal acts.

QOTD2: Working

Gator eye

8 this morning in a sleet rain mix.

QOTD: I dont mind flying but I hate the total lack of personal space on a airplane. It never fails i end up sitting next to the 300 pounder who's shoulders and gut are in my seat just as much as there own. And of course who needs to take a bath or eat a breath mint before going to the airport.

I usually drive.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I walked the dogs...in taper mode as have my 50K tomorrow aka sufferfest.    Snow is mostly gone but still icy cold.  Hope to pick up my jeep today at the tune of $4,000

QOTD:  I wouldn't really want to drive more than 5 hours.  So if I was going somewhere more than 5 hours there would need to be places to stop and visit between and make it a adventure.  The DH hates....did I say HATES! to fly.  So we drive places a lot and I don't mind riding for hours.  He can't relax when I drive so he always drives.    I like flying.  I noticed when I try to get the cheapest ticket  I end up spending more because where as I don't mind hanging out at the airport I end up spending more money than I saved on food and drink.

QOTD2:  See above...then Sunday I wanted to do yard work but the rain is coming again.

Jamie:  Crazy that it's 53 there and 25 here.

DD:  CDL means California Drivers License to me.  Saw that yesterday and then today you said DMV.  So whet is this?  I thought you lived in PA do you live in Connecticut?  Oh just saw your response to Jamie. Something for truck driving.

Gator eye:  I saw this huge farm boy in the airport.  Like 6"5" and 400 pounds wearing overalls.  I thought wonder who has to sit next to him.  Come to find out he was on my plane and the last to board; walked up to my row and said "Yep that's right you get the fat guy!"  He was in the middle but since he had such a good sense of humor it was alright and he tried really hard to stay within his seat.  I felt bad for him after that.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ran the 1.1 miles home after dropping off my car to get the Check Engine Light checked out since it came at the beginning of the week. Will run back this afternoon to pick up the car.

qotd: Generally if it's within an 8 hour drive, that's what I'll do.

qotd2: Usual weekend plans, work Saturday evening, run when and as much as I can. Still trying to push myself up to double digits again.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

NHLA

5 miles yesterday & 4.5 miles today. Hammy still sore.

qotd  If its over 12 hours I will fly unless I am going to WI in the winter. If you have conecting flights thru the midwest in the winter you are screwed. No fun sleeping on airport floors or worse if you are stuck on the plane.

AT-runner

Tim

Could barely breath last night. All stuffed up. The this morning after bruising my teeth, I was flossing, like a good boy, and pulled off a crown.  No pain at all, but can't keep my damn tongue away from the hole in my mouth.  Can't see dentist until next week.  Argh!

Down week, so light run tomorrow on some rooted rocky trails.  The technical stuff makes me stay slow and good for a down week.

Queen - Good luck with your 31 mile training run.

Good luck to any other racers and pacers this weekend.  Can't wait to start reading some RR's.

QOTD:  Depends on logistics.,  We drive to see in-laws every year near Hilton Head Island. and that's 10-11 hours.  By the time I drive to Baltimore and wait and fly to Atlanta and then wait to catch a second flight to Savannah and then pick up a rental car, it's just easier to drive.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

3.25 this morning. I woke up at 2:45 with my mind on an insane spreadsheet I have been married to at work for awhile. I finished checking it a few minutes ago and sent it off to billing. Praise God!!!!

QOTD 1: It really depends on what I am doing. If it is just me and does not involve firearms, I'll fly if it is over about an 8 hour drive. If it is a hunting trip, it will most likely be me and others with stops in Texas for some beer we can't get here, like Dogfish Head. Family trip is always driving. Basically, if I have others with me, I like driving.

QOTD 2: Well, it is Mardi Gras next Tuesday, so we are off Monday and Tuesday. This weekend I will see if I can hear a turkey gobble, do some running, and do some yard work. I'll book flights to and from Denver for my April trip. And I have a load of gravel coming on Monday for my driveway. I need to get a new mattress, also. Oh, and my new Hoka's should arrive Monday evening. I hope the Stinson's work for me this time. I bought a pair back in 2011, and they rubbed my big toe wrong. We'll see. I took a chance on a $70.99 pair after the 10% coupon code.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Got a nice 6-ish miles in yesterday evening; a little more snow on this mountain. Some light strength training this evening.

Sue- funny I am the same way; it's not that DW isn't a good driver, just more at ease in the drivers seat

qotd: it generally has to be further than a long day's drive  (14-16 hours) before I consider flying

qotd 2: hope to get a long run in one day; going to get a shorter hike with a heavy pack another

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Spent a hour a 50 minutes at the gym and got less down than I normally do in 45-50 minutes. Some guy in there about my age who wanted to chat a lot. Didn't really mind though. I hate when no one will even say hello.

DD:  CDL means California Drivers License to me.  Saw that yesterday and then today you said DMV.  So whet is this?  I thought you lived in PA do you live in Connecticut?  Oh just saw your response to Jamie. Something for truck driving.

CDL= Commercial Drivers License.  I think you need one for any vehicle over 26,000 lbs gross weight, buses, school buses etc.  I can drive anything but school buses and haul hazardous materials. No desire to drive a school bus and the Haz-Mat  isn't that hard to get.

Last year when we flew to Hawaii and got delayed a day in Atlanta because of weather we got to the airport the next morning and found a few families with small kids who had camped out on the floor. Looked like fun........Not!!!!!

No fun sleeping on airport floors or worse if you are stuck on the plane.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

It's currently 79 degrees here in PA.   And I am at work.   On a Friday. 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

It was fixit friday here. Duct tape on two holes in my road shoes and stitching up a seam on my favorite capris. Then 4 miles on the paved trail, speedy for me.  High 70's here, but breezy and dry so it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

qotd: If it takes significantly longer to drive, then fly first. Unless it's a good road trip. Couple of summers ago, we drove from MN to Yellowstone/Grand Teton to be able to see (and camp) everything along the way. Badlands, Devil's Monument, the Bighorns.  Pretty spectacular.  We would have really missed out on a lot if we had flown.

NorthernHarrier

Quite the weather change around here. Just to the north of Madison is tons of snow, ice, wind, etc. So far we have just had drizzle mostly with wind and temps just at the freezing mark. Good day to take a rest day. I think girl scout cookies and beer will help me weather the storm.  It will get cold enough tonight that the muddy trails will freeze and running tomorrow should be pretty nice.  Wanted to head north this weekend and who knows, maybe after my run in the morning. Just want to burn wood and be in the north country. Difficult to explain.

QOTD--I like to drive. Doesn't matter how far.  The only time I'll fly is when time is critical. The whole flying thing just sucks the air from me with getting there so far ahead of the flight to airport parking cost, planes over booked, luggage ending up somewhere else, car rentals, etc.  I remember standing in line for over two hours once in San Francisco just for our car rental.   What a pain.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

NH - two days posting in a row! 

Spotted Cow right?  It's almost like milk and cookies 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √