Trailer Trash

Silver Rush 50 RR cliff notes (Read 19 times)

dpc3

Short version: I finished in one piece and I'm feeling good.

Long Version: Finished in 11:43:26 14:04 pace, a bit slower then I wanted but I will take it. This turkey hunter dude suggested the longer the better, so I heeded his advice and will take the finish.

Long Long version:

Gear - 50 oz backpack full of tailwind and 20 oz bottle of water. Refills along the way.

Goals - A) finish in 10, B) finish in less then 12 (check), C) finish in one piece feeling good (check)

Family turned this into a camping trip so we headed up to the Leadville area Thursday. After replacing the battery and some fuses while on the way we arrived and got the last tent spot in the Belle of Colorado campground on Turquoise Lake outside of Leadville. Other then peeing for 3 days straight due to the altitude, at least that's what I am telling myself, the family and I hung out, fished, hiked, played horse shoes, cards, and relaxed up until Sunday. Sunday morning, alarm went off, I cook breakfast: 3 eggs and coffee and the wife and youngest drove me over the Dutch Henry hill where the start finish was located.

I planned on using this race as a training run for Javelina Jundred in order to get my nutrition down and to get miles under my legs in a race environment. Other then 4 orange slices and a handful of pretzel sticks I stuck to tailwind and water. This worked really well for me but by the time I finished I was sick of liquids and will be grabbing solid foods off the aid stations at Javelina once I have 40 miles under my belt. Well that's what I am thinking right now.  Leadville is a beautiful area and if you ever have a chance to visit it's well worth the trip. The course for the most part is gorgeous, some sections are less then desirable but that is just my own opinion (i.e., high voltage power lines). It's an out and back course with 2 climbs going and 2 climbs coming, I don't count Dutch Henry as a climb but its a unique start for sure. The first major climb is run-able with the second climb a mix of power hiking and slow running. The run down to the Stumptown aid station and turn around is a quad buster and to turn around and have to climb was killer. I made the turn around in 5:15 which was slower then I wanted but I was happy with it. I saw the family told my wife the next climb was going to hurt and it did but once I got to the top I was able to stretch my legs for awhile and get into a rhythm of running. The middle of the race flew by and before I knew it I was at the last climb and I decided to power walk the whole thing to conserve my legs for the last 10 miles, this strategy worked well. The last 10 miles hurt, mostly down hill on trashed quads, that's all I am going to say. I didn't really go through any highs or lows which was nice but it helped to have some runners around me. I ran the last half of the race with a fella from Denver and will attribute his company to not going through any lows. I told him the last 10 miles would have been hell if he wasn't with me. All and all it was a successful run, it felt good to have a race go as planned and I am looking forward to October. During the race I said I didn't need to go back and run Leadville but that thought has lessened in my head. I would suggest the race, do it at least once. I posted some pictures on instagram if you want to see them, they are nothing special.

My incoherent ramblings for the race. Have a good one all!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job DPC...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Nice to have comp,any to suffer with in a long race. Amazing what that can do to prevent the lows.

Nice job, and congratulations on 2 of your 3 goals.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Congratulations on a great race (and hitting 67% of your goals-  ).  And thanks for sharing with us-- I have good childhood memories of Leadville and C). Nice to hear reports from familiar areas, albeit in a much different medium.  Hope the family had a nice trip, too.

LB2

I think the longer time will definitely benefit you come October. But you have to watch out what turkey hunters tell you; they are known to lie. I also think that much time at that altitude will benefit you a lot in a few weeks. I know that just spending a few days up high has a huge benefit to me. It may be in my head, but I believe it. I'm glad it worked out. I can hardly wait to hear about Javelina. Rest a little bit and get back on it.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Thanks for posting. Someday I'd like to do a run in that area although I know it would hurt at that elevation unless we arrived 7-10 days early.

XtremeTaper

Nice race! I am guessing staying at altitude beforehand helped? It does not sound like you had issues there during the race. Javelina should go well for you. I am one for eating solid food early on, even if it's just a few nibbles of pbj or whatever. Get the stomach working early instead of making it shift gears 40 miles into the race. That's just me though.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

muppy

Very nic Dpc3,  sounds like you had a good race and a good time with the family over the weekend, congratulations!