Trailer Trash

Welcome Wednesday (Read 15 times)

runtraildc

Hi trailers! Got in a short track workout last night as it cooled down. We had storms pass through earlier in the day, none of which actually hit our neighborhood but were close enough that we listened to the thunder for hours.

And thanks for the well wishes about FIL from the other day. He's in palliative care and his end is near, but he has all his children and one grandchild near. And he is breathing on his own and without pain.

It's 'welcome Wednesday' to invite lurkers, readers and missing posters to pop in and say 'hello' to introduce yourself (or give an update).

qotd: In light of welcoming folks in, what's going on in your non-running life? Well, for me, right now, I just mentioned it above. FIL was his normal self right up to when the stroke hit. Probably spent the day on his tractor and working in the garage and garden. If you gotta go, that's the way, right?

AT-runner

Tim

Decided to be smart and not run yesterday. New start date is Saturday.

DC- glad to hear that he is pain free.  Good luck with things as the week goes on.

QOTD:  We went from empty nesters to having DD#2 and her boyfriend move in with us and then DS moved back.  DS won't be with us for long, but the other two will be with us for a while. Currently cleaning out some of our out buildings to make room for all their stuff and set up an apartment, so DW and I can get some normalcy back. This is why the kids always said we couldn't sell our house. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Probably just a dog walk and lawn mowing this evening, though I might to a walk/jog thingie on the trail with the Lady. Walked 9 holes of golf last night. My golf game is like my running. Losing distance (speed) but can still muddle about and make my share of pars.

Funny about this knee thing. Pretty sure I have had this tear all year but it's ramped up since I pretty much stopped running after Mohican. I masked it for a week with anti-inflammatories, but never did that during training for the race. It's sort of like my mind held the pain/discomfort back when I was chasing that goal, but now it's given up in that regard.

QOTD: My parents are still both doing ok, knock on wood, but my dad waxed a little sadly the other day about being over 80 now. Home life is good but boring. The missus has been going crazy this year in the gardens, moving around daylilies, hastas, and other perennials, planted a bunch of annuals, and moved the bird feeders to a location closer to our back deck. It's great back there in the evening to sip a beer or two or three, look at the birds, pool, and gardens. Always something blooming. Need to figure out something for a short summer trip but with surgery scheduled on Aug 10 I better get moving.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Going to do a bunch of weed whacking then head out on a bike ride.  After that I might have some time for a short run. Don't want to run too much but really need to keep the legs in running mode for my race this weekend.   Looking at 25-30 miles on the bike and 5-6 running if I have the time.

Just saw some good news about the Boulder Beast.  As you all may remember that's the race that was the former Megatransect. The Mega was shut down by the RD over logging issues. The original RD stepped back up, had to rename it the Boulder Beast and this is the 2nd year for that.  I just saw on FB that the PA Trail Dogs are taking over the Boulder Beast next year.  I was hoping someone would take it over as Bob, the original RD, is getting older and doesn't seem to have the time to build it back up again as I think he still travels a lot for his job. The Trail Dogs put on Hyner, Rothrock, Sproul, Hyner Half, and the RD has his fingers in the mix at Eastern States as well.  I'm expecting the Boulder Beast to sell out next year again.

Runtrail - Thoughts and prayers for your FIL and your family.  When you mentioned it I had hoped it wasn't too bad and he could recover, but alas somethings are not meant to be. At least he's comfortable.

QOTD:  Other then work it's mostly just trying to keep my place up and keep my vehicles in shape.  The neighbor that rents my ground switched to organic farming several years ago so now everything is a weed mess. I'm having to do too much stuff that they used to take care of with spraying .   Got a new toy on Monday, a crossbow. Hoping to use it for some hunting in the fall but even if I don't It's fun to shoot and much cheaper then shooting the AR or the pistols. You can blow a couple of hundred $$$$ in a hurry with the guns. At least arrows are reusable.  Also going to be making another trip out to central MI in a few weeks to see my BIL  He has pancreatic cancer and is slowly getting worse but is hanging in there. He's able to enjoy life at this time with very little pain.

Sandy-2

runtraildc, I'm really sorry to hear about your FIL. Sending kind thoughts to your family.

I didn't get up to run this morning so I brought my stuff to run at lunchtime, it's gonna be hot with direct sun, but I can't run later.  I'll probably do 4 or 5 mi.

qotd: Welcome lurkers. C'mon in, we don't bite... well some of us don't bite anyway.  My DD is currently doing a thru-ride of the Colorado Trail on horseback, they are SOBO.  She's with 4 other girls and they have 6 horses. They are at about mile 315 with about 170 to go. I'm headed up there to provide resupply this weekend.  I get to do a little off-roading and will likely get some running in (sorry this was supposed to be non-running, but...) while waiting for them to show up at our arranged resupply points.

tbd.

muppy

Sorry to hear about your fil runtraildc.

I got a 9.6 slow muggy trail miles on the state game lands last night.

QOTD   The wife and my mom are giving my dad and I a joint birthday present activity on Sunday .  All I know is that I had to give her $150 cash from the safe for it ( or else I could've looked on the credit card receipt )  I cannot for the life of me figure out what it could be?

jonferg67

Endless trails

Runtrail-Sounds like FIL is in good hands. I work with a palliative team here at the VA, as

an administrator, and they are a dedicated group of healthcare providers.

I ran this morning before the humidity set in, breathing was a little tough but a good run.

Muppy: maybe it'll be sky-diving! Would you do it if it was?

QOTD: Still looking for a job more in line with my skills. I had 2 good interviews before

we went on vacation, but they didn't pan out so I'm disappointed but still plugging away.

NorthernHarrier

Another hot and very humid day. Lots of rain lately has just added to the dampness as even the ground and rocks appear to be sweating. Yesterday I ran out at Blue Mounds for the first time in maybe..., well it has been a long while. Some trails have been redone and some of the technicality is gone though plenty still remains. From a mountain biking standpoint it is a huge improvement with more flow but I always enjoyed the uniqueness of the place for running. I'm gonna try to get out there a little more before I make up my mind on it.  Today was some tempo intervals in the Arb. All this weather has also led to a massive mosquito hatch and it was a little trying out there today.

runtrail--Sorry to hear of this. Best wishes.

QOTD--Well I guess these days I am more of a lurker myself. Heading out shortly to my shack where I'll grab one my solo canoes and some fishing equipment and then off to Ontario. Have enough provisions packed for 10 days with some fixin's to go with fish for a few more days if I decide to stay longer. I never have any problems catching enough fish so no worries there. The problem becomes there is no way to communicate with DW that I may stay in a little longer so hopefully she doesn't stress too much. Of course if the mosquitoes are horrific it may be a somewhat shorter trip. On the other hand there is also a reasonable chance that she doesn't give a crap about me and when I get home all my stuff will be in the front yard with the locks changed. We shall see.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

runtrail- sorry to hear your FIL is not going to beat this, but at least some silver lining going out without pain and surrounded by family

got a nice 5.5 miles in early (about half with the headlamp); the heatwave of the century continues - I have little doubt this will go down as the warmest July on record- global warming is just a hoax

qotd: DW and I are looking at a lot on the south side of town- the lot actually includes part of the trail system, if it all pans out (lots to get ironed out) I would literally walk out my front door to hit the trails 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

got a nice 5.5 miles in early (about half with the headlamp); the heatwave of the century continues - I have little doubt this will go down as the warmest July on record- global warming is just a hoax

Meanwhile ~1100 miles to the east of you and somewhat further south they had to cancel the swim portion of the Racine 1/2 Ironman because the water was too cold.  Then Accuweather was reporting that Santiago Chile had a rare snowfall.  And we've been having thunderstorms rolling through our area every evening but they all miss me by a mile dang it . I really want some extra rain to boost my well levels.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Well after 2 margarita's yesterday I went home..cleaned the bathroom, laid down and woke up the next morning...10 hours of sleep...doors wide open...sprinkle still going...too much sleep makes me groggy so I just couldn't get out of bed to run.  Plan is gym at lunch and I may stay longer and do a stair steeper or something for 1/2 hours.  Old man is returning today and we are going to street fair tonight.  Not that I ever run after work anyway. 

QOTD:  When I know I will let you guys know (retire/move) ...but running related I have made plans for my Marquette run.  My brother, sister, her boyfriend, and her gand daughter are all driving up to Marquette with me. We will campout and go to picture rocks.  So I am pretty excited about that. 

DC:  Yep that is the way to go..

AT:  Why is the boy back?

Muppy and everyone else:  Our QOTD for the weekend needs to be "what is Muppy doing for his birthday?"

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Meanwhile ~1100 miles to the east of you and somewhat further south they had to cancel the swim portion of the Racine 1/2 Ironman because the water was too cold.  Then Accuweather was reporting that Santiago Chile had a rare snowfall.  And we've been having thunderstorms rolling through our area every evening but they all miss me by a mile dang it . I really want some extra rain to boost my well levels.

you heard it here first- northern Alaska/Canada will soon be in summer what Arizona is now in the winter, they call those folks snowbirds- I just need a catchy name for folks escaping the summer heat 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I ran 4 miles this morning and did some weights at the end of the run, shoulders and a little bit of back with the dumb bells.

QOTD: Still sort of waiting around to hear back from another community college about going over to help them with enrollment in their rural campuses. I am not too concerned one way or the other. I am very comfortable where I am, and that new job would require a lot of work to fix it. It mostly deals with dual enrollment of high school students. I know a lot about that because our campus was basically built on that process. Rural areas have a really hard time competing with larger areas for students for a multitude of reasons.

My oldest daughter is in Denver and just competed in the Colorado State Championships, bikini division. It is a bodybuilding contest but that division is not the super muscular division. Anyway, she won the novice first time division and placed 4th overall in the novice division. Novice is a little bit deceiving because anyone who is not a professional can enter that division as I understand it. The person who won that division is much more than a novice, almost profressional level. We are pretty ecstatic about the win because she worked really hard and has come a long way. However, she has some real talent as a runner, and I think she should pursue that recreationally on the trails. But she said she doesn't like running long distances. Maybe I want to live vicariously through her because I did not get my love of running until I was older. I just want her to be happy, and she seems happier now than she has ever been. That makes me happy. Overall, things are going great, and I couldn't have said that last year at this time.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I just say if for the guys since they are too respectful to ask...but it didn't happen unless we see pictures!! 

My oldest daughter is in Denver and just competed in the Colorado State Championships, bikini division.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

+1 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √