Trailer Trash

What a Weekend Weekender (Read 20 times)

LB2

I'll get out for a little over 5 this morning, and I have about a 3 mile hike in a Mardi Gras parade at 3PM. Then, a little food and drink.

QOTD: Are there any holidays that are unique to your for which people get off work?

Mardi Gras is pretty much a state holiday. But in my immediate area, it is not a huge thing like it is in NOLA and other parts of the state that are more Catholic.

LB2

runtraildc

Heading out shortly for 6 miles with the Saturday group. Will be about 50* when we start. And it's sunny!

qotd: Not so much a holiday, but we often have federal closings (and the private sector often follows) for major events-- i.e.  inaugurations,  or state funerals for popular presidents (Reagan was the last big one). It's hard to remember the whole country is also not closed and it's business as usual everywhere else (yes, we're a bit self-centered).

LB2

It's hard to remember the whole country is also not closed and it's business as usual everywhere else (yes, we're a bit self-centered).

I guess that is the "bubble" we keep hearing about out here in the cheap seats.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Got a lot on tap for today. Just finished my work week which the good part is that the last four hours I put in is stuff I can do from home. DS needs to file his taxes and this will be his first full year of doing it all by himself so I'm sure I'll get a lot of questions from him. Need to change oil in the one vehicle and tear into the cooling system on another.  Then for a  romantic evening on the town with the lovely lady for a late Valentines date .

Somewhere in all of that I'll get in a 6-7 mile run.

QOTD:  Uh yea,  haven't you ever tried to do business with anyone up here on the first two days of deer season?  Actually it's not quite like it was in the past unfortunately, but at one time almost all the schools except maybe the big city schools were shut for at least one day and a lot of businesses shut down as well.  I seem to remember back in the days when I was a kid even the state government went on a slowdown.

It's also kind of amazing how big doughnut day is up here considering that most of the people are affiliated with Protestant  churches that don't observe lent.

NHLA

Rest day today. 10k Frostbite race sunday. This may be the first time I run this race in shorts!

qotd  In east TX they have June teenth. After the civil war the slave owners in east TX didn't tell them they were free. Worked them until they found out june 19th the nx year. Big beach party in Pt Authur TX.  There is a book all June Teenth telling the story.

Canton NC has a opossum drop for new years. Animal rights nuts stopped it but Canton took it to court and are still dropping them.

Saluda NC has Coon Dog Day. They have a parade with a coon dog queen and chase coons. They also have a coon dog 5k. It is a tough course.

muppy

8 miles last night on the rail trail. Might take today, my foot is very sore for some reason.

QOTD   In Central PA the most unique would be groundhog day which is not really a day off of work.  We also have Fasnacht Day (it's Fat Tuesday for the PA Dutch) is a  where everybody can eat donuts all day!

AT-runner

Tim

15 out and back on a logging road.  Was kind of like running on sand since road was muddy about 60% of the time.  Counted 27 trucks at the ATV lot.  We were passed by quite a few Quads, most slowed down, but one group flew past me in the middle of the narrow road and made me jump off to the side.  Assholes. 

QOTD:  Anniversary of the  Battle of Gettysburg. July 1st to 3rd, the town is a mess and more than triples in population.  The reenactment draws hundreds of thousands over 3 days.  On big years (5 and 10's), like for the 150th anniversary, I close the office and most businesses close.  Next year will be the 155th, so might need to close for that one.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

5.1 very slow recovery run

qotd: none that I'm aware of, but then the only days the business is closed are Thanksgiving and Christmas being retailers.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

I did a little over 5 this morning, and I'll be out for another loop later in the day. I have to deliver some meals for the church, so we have to get there early.

LB2

Sandy-2

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  Did 5 mi yesterday afternoon, it was 82 deg with full sun.  Too hot.  Then this morning did 12 mi, it was 70 deg with a misty 100 percent humidity. It was a total suck-fest.  I'm not used to this stuff so early.

qotd: yeah we have Juneteenth, but it's not a declared holiday or a day off.  We also have 'go Texas' day which corresponds with the first day of the Houston Rodeo, again not a day off, but most people wear jeans to work that day. By the way LB, we don't have any days off for Mardi Gras, but we do get king cake at work!!! 😃

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Not quite as warm as yesterday was but still really nice. Going to head down to the AT with DW and DD. They will hike and I will run some. No idea how much mileage I'll get in. I may have to double back to help DW over some of the boulders. There are some drop offs that weren't designed for short people .  I'm hoping for a little over 10 miles.

AT-runner

Tim

8 miles total with the middle 4 done at fast tempo. Man do I feel slow.  Looks like I need a few track days to pick up my pace.  65° today when I was out. 5th run so fay in February with shorts and shirt sleeves. That might be a record and looks like more above seasonal temperatues for the next 7-10 days.  If this keeps up, I'll be sitting on the patio outside the Pub for St. Patrick's Day.

Dreamer - what section on the AT?  Have fun.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

Frostbite 10k  50 min 2nd AG  tough course. An 82 year old man won his AG in the 5k in 29 min!!  Thats incredible on a tough course.

The weather was fantastic. 60 and sunny.  1st time I have ever run this race in shorts.

Daydreamer1

Dreamer - what section on the AT?  Have fun.

From the river heading east across Peter's Mtn.  I wanted DD to take DW and go up the blue blazed section instead of across the spine of the mountain. That way DW wouldn't have to deal with crawling over the boulders. Being short that's harder for her to do. DD wanted to do the boulders so that's what they did. I did two loops by following the white blazes and bringing the blue blazes back and when I caught up to them I helped DW through the boulders so my mileage was quite a bit less than I wanted it to be.  Still it was a great day on the trail.

LB2

qotd: yeah we have Juneteenth, but it's not a declared holiday or a day off.  We also have 'go Texas' day which corresponds with the first day of the Houston Rodeo, again not a day off, but most people wear jeans to work that day. By the way LB, we don't have any days off for Mardi Gras, but we do get king cake at work!!! 😃

We get the last two days of February off this year for Mardi Gras. I am looking forward to that.

LB2