Trailer Trash

Long Weekend Friday (Read 14 times)

LB2

Short, quick run this morning to try out a new pair of shoes. I bought some Lone Peak 3.0's on closeout, and I plan to run those shoes at Pinhoti. I have run a full 100+ in the 2.0 or 2.5, and they were fine. Of course, Pinhoti is much different than that other run. I have run most of the summer in a pair of Hoka ATR 3's. I like them, but I have one major problem with them: The sole on the forefoot seems more narrow than other models I have run in from them, and I tend to roll an ankle much easier than I am comfortable with. I can't afford to get injured by my shoes.

QOTD: Any predictions for UTMB?

I think there are a number of contenders to win this race. But I am pretty sure that the two main runners to watch will be Killian Journet and Jim Walmsley. I think Jim is in a good place mentally, which is a relief because his DNF at WSER has caused him to get some criticism that could easily derail a person. I saw an interview yesterday where he sounded and looked much better than he did before WSER. However, the conditions will be quite difficult, which may leave the door open for people like Schlarb, Skurka, and several Europeans whose names I don't know. I mention Schlarb and Skurka specifically for one reason: Both have experience running rugged mountain races successfully in terrible conditions. Schlarb bailed early at Hardrock, but that may be a plus. Skurka was one of the co-winners at Big Horn this year in absolutely horrible conditions. He'll probably have run better than 22:30 to win at UTMB with that field, but CGerber says he is super fit right now and has a strong background in hiking, which may prove beneficial. I don't really follow the sport like I used to, but I have taken an interest in this particular race because of the level of talent at the starting line.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tiny Elvis and I braved 90 degree heat yesterday afternoon as the smoke alert went down to Moderate and got 4-ish miles in. This morning alarm went off at 4:30 and the smoke was still at the Moderate level, so we bagged Mt Helena for another 4-ish miles.

qotd: strongest field ever at UTMB, I'm hard pressed to bet against Killian, but certainly some folks on the right day could do it.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Rest day today.  Hitting the trails tomorrow in the rain for some slippery miles.  Will probably skip Sunday and run on Monday. Was hoping to do Labor Pains 12hr, but not in the cards with knee injury.

Warden - Hows the smoke and temperature on the route you are planning on taking Jess and I?

QOTD:  Killian with Jim not able to keep up.  Would like to see Jim win, but it's Killian's element in the mountains.  I see 2 Americans are leading the CCC (the 101K "short race" as they used to call it before they added 2 other shorter races).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

No run today, just walking, PT exercises and weights later. I did run 5 miles last night with the Lady out at Green Lane. Well, running might be an overstatement. Still some soreness at quad attachment area but seemed ok if I just jogged about. So I did that for the most part, but a few times tried to run a more "normal" pace but it seems I've forgotten how.

QOTD: No opinions/predictions on the race.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

XtremeTaper

Rest day today.  Hitting the trails tomorrow in the rain for some slippery miles.  Will probably skip Sunday and run on Monday. Was hoping to do Labor Pains 12hr, but not in the cards with knee injury.

AT - Labor Pains was my first race post meniscus repair in 2011, but I was 4 month's post op. Managed 10 loops that year and a matching number of hamburgers!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Warden - Hows the smoke and temperature on the route you are planning on taking Jess and I?

I think temps will be fine, especially with a early start; smoke right now is hit or miss depending on wind. The next couple of days I would predict not so good. Two weeks out, it should be getting better.  We really need a good moisture event- sooner the better.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran 7 with the group the morning.  Was a little tough; guess my slothing hurts my running.    Jackie was hurting two as he received no exercise while I was gone.  Earl was fine as he is slim and trim.  It's smoky so the sun rise was a pretty pink.

We have 3 fires in the last week.  All set by idiots.  The big one was an "illegal camper" (aka homeless), the second a meth lab, and a tiny one next to work another umm camper.

QOTD: I predict that the University of Texas Mountain Bike Team will come in last place!      Oh must be a Trail Race and I saw Killian is in it..then Killian will kill it.  Walsmely will not finish it.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Back at work today, first time in the office all week (I did e-mails from home from time to time this week.)  I'll do 5 mi after work today, lower 90 deg temps are back today.

qotd: I think this is an "on" month for Jim Walmsley so I think he's gonna take it (either that or dnf), I think Killian Journet might be a little tuckered out so he'll end up with a happy top 5 finish.  I do think there are others who will do well, Schlarb, D'haene, Thevenard.  I also think that Ms Chaverot will defend.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

AT - Labor Pains was my first race post meniscus repair in 2011, but I was 4 month's post op. Managed 10 loops that year and a matching number of hamburgers!

I told DW that we should go and I'll do 1 lap, for my 5 miles, and then drink Spaten while she runs. That solution didn't not impress her.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

5.2 miles run/walk.  Losing my Cardio endurance with so little running and not replacing it with hard biking. Gonna have to get on the elliptical.

QOTD:  No clue. Haven't been following it.   I'd have to root for Jim and I really hope that he is prepared for it mentally and physically.  It would be nice to see him beat Killian in a hard fought race. Not that I have anything against Killian I just view everyone else as a  underdog and have to root for them.