Trailer Trash

Changing shoes mid-race (Read 43 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I am not sure whether I should plan on a shoe change in my next 100M.

In my last 100M, I was ok in my Cascadias, but after the race, I noticed that I had started to develop a hot spot/blister on the side of my heels. I guess if the race had been longer (time-wise), or if it had rained more, I would have ended up with huge blisters there.

Also lately I have noticed that my current Cascadias seem to be a bit short, so that my toes get bumped on long, frequent downhills. Not really serious, but a concern when I think of running 100 miles of steep, rocky trails in them.

So now I've been wearing my PureGrits more often, which are great for technical trails, as long as there are no wet, slick, algae- or lichen-overgrown rocks. Which are somewhat common in the remote PA forests. In that case, the PureGrits are disaster. Not so much after creek crossings, or mud, though. Haven't completely figured out that one.

And now I'm not sure if I should plan on changing the shoes at some point in the race.

Do I wear the lighter PureGrits in the beginning, and switch around 40 or 60 miles, or only when needed?

Or wear the sturdier Cascadias from the start (as they are a sure bet when it comes to wet conditions and foot protection on rocky trails), and change only when needed?

Another concern with switching shoes mid-race is that my legs tend to cramp up after 60 miles if I try to tie the shoes (when they come lose), so changing shoes without help would not be easy.

Run for fun.

LB2

I would have shoes on standby in a drop bag or with crew, whichever is applicable on the course. I don't think Cascadia's would work for me, too big of a heel/toe drop. But I hear good things about them.

LB2

Birdwell

FYTC, are you taping your feet before the race at all?

I've started doing it with KT tape and tincture of benzoin prior to any long runs and it has alimented feet hot spots for me.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

LB2: I think the lower heel drop, and lower "stacking height" of the PureGrits make them better for technical trails (less ankle rolling). However, the Cascadias usually fit my feet very well, and the hot spot that I mentioned must have developed on the last few miles of the 100M. My feet felt ok, not battered at the finish, but I'm not sure if the PureGrits will protect them as well from all the rocks.

Birdwell: I haven't taped my feet yet, maybe I should try it out on my next few training runs. I was planning on just applying a thin layer of vaseline for protection against wetness. But my DD (who is a ballet dancer) has also strongly advocated for taping my feet.

Edit: Another question is, is it better to switch from lighter shoes to heavier, sturdier ones, or the other way around?

Run for fun.

Birdwell

Birdwell: I haven't taped my feet yet, maybe I should try it out on my next few training runs. I was planning on just applying a thin layer of vaseline for protection against wetness. But my DD (who is a ballet dancer) has also strongly advocated for taping my feet.

Edit: Another question is, is it better to switch from lighter shoes to heavier, sturdier ones, or the other way around?

You have to try it! It is so much better than vaseline or bodyglide.

As far as switching, I'd go light to sturdy, or just stick with sturdy the whole way through, but what do I know.

AT-runner

Tim

Marie, you'll be power hiking a lot (based on the elevation charts) so I'd wear what will work best since my feet tend to slide more when I'm hiking vs running.

I agree that's it's a good idea to have extra ones in drop bag so you can decide.  AS volunteers would likely help with shoe change.  \

For me, sock changes help as much as shoe changes in reducing hot spots and blisters.

When I have changed shoes mid-race, I went to lighter shoes, but for you, the terrain should dictate what you'll need for later in the race.  I'd check with RD to see which 1/2 is more technical (I only see elevation profile on the website).

Any luck with a pacer?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

AT: I will keep the sock change in mind, I did not think this would make a big difference, but obviously it does. I have also noticed that when walking, I tend to slip more, so the sturdier shoes will be more suitable for this.

It will also depend on the weather which shoes will work better.

And I'll have to ask the RD's about the terrain and trail quality.

No pacer so far, but traildc will ask her friend if she'd be up to the task.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

I usually bring spare shoes and socks, but I rarely changed them. If my feet feel ok and my shoes/socks "mold to my feet" during the run, I figure that I shouldn't mess with them.

But my last 2 hundreds were close together time-wise and they both had a lot of stream crossings (which are still ok) but also a lot of very muddy sections. So with all the mud I did change socks a few times at Bighorn and my shoes and socks at Hardrock. I think it helped, but I still got some blisters on the sides of both heels. I don't normally get blisters, but I think the combination of wetness, mud and canted trails did the trick. Next time I may tape up my heels ahead of time.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Watoni

FTYC,

Like you, I have only one 100 under my belt.

I did bring spare shoes to Leadville, thinking I might change them after the dual crossing of Hope Pass (since there is also a creek crossing or two where feet tend to get wet towards the evening).  I ran in La Sportiva Helios from the start (my preferred shoe and one I thought was best for any technical parts of Hope Pass). My plan had been to change into different shoes (Pearl Izumi N2s -- a bit more cushy and I would be running/hiking more slowly at night) if necessary at mile 55, with a spare of the Helios at mile 75 in the event the switch was a complete failure. I came into mile 55 feeling great foot-wise, and seeing the carnage at the aid station convinced me to head out with what was working.

In retrospect, that may have been an error since my feet were still damp and the bottom of my feet under the ball of the foot started to take a beating. By the time I got to the road section about 30 miles to go (going by memory, don't shoot me Lace), I did not have open blisters but the top third of the bottom of my foot was one big white tender spot, and I walked most of the road section. When I got to the aid station at about mile 75, I did have another pair of Helios, but one that was more used, so it was a bit looser and that helped. I started running again once I hit the trail to Powerline (then hiked a lot and had my best run of the night towards the 13 mile to go aid station).  On a positive note, I finished and my feet were not bloody, so I felt that was a success.

If I had a crew, I would have had spare shoes at each aid station.  Also, unless your feet are wet or miserable, I would keep with the shoes you have, and would run in the Cascadias unless you have run at least 50 miles in the Pure Grits. If you change, it would be great to have the option to switch back if that turns out not to work.

Finally, I would love to pace you, but I am worried about recovering from my ankle injury and flying cross-country for a weekend. If you are stuck in a few weeks let me know and I will see what can be done.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanksfor the offer, Watoni! I might need to take you up on that.

I just saw, I have two more pairs of shoes that might work, and I might stash them at the later aid stations, or/and have my crew hold them.

I really fear those blisters on the soles the most, nothing as painful as these. However, I survived major chafing last time, so I should just be confident that I'll be able to deal with it if it happens. 

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

I have no experience with the distance you are running, but I have found that tape works well to prevent blisters and bloody feet for my longer runs. I keep adding places to tape with every long run.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

You should bring extra socks and shoes - leave with drop bags and/or crew.  I would think that you would want to go heavy to light for shoes BUT everyone is right- the terrain will dictate that more.  From all the descriptions, I think all of the course is typical PA technical.  You're probably just going to have to play it by feel and change when you're feet when you need a change.  Or maybe plan it so that if you change shoes that you have crew access in a little bit in case you need to change back.  Not sure the logistics of where your crew can access you.  I heard that this is one of the challenges of this race.

Is Stephen pacing you for some of the race? And if so, what part? I think it is going to be super important to have someone with you through the night with how remote it is.  Again, wish I was in any kind of shape I would help.  But not sure I would make it up one hill without dying.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Jamie, Stephen will be pacing me through the night, from mile 61 to 78. I hope the miles will come together with nighttime, but it should work.

I am still looking for a pacer for miles 78 to 100. There is no crew or pacer access, or drop point, between miles 78 and 100.

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I am still looking for a pacer for miles 78 to 100. There is no crew or pacer access, or drop point, between miles 78 and 100.

I might be able to swing that...let me look into it a little...keep me in mind!

**Ask me about streaking**

Messenjah

In a 100k trail I switched shoes at the 40 mile mark from the NB 101 to the Cascadi 7. It was a really rock/rooty course and my feet were getting pretty beat up in the 101's. I am really glad that I did go from light to sturdy. It made the last 20 a lot more enjoyable.

During my DNF at my 100 mile attempt I did think I made a mistake going from the Cascadia 8's to the Bondi 3's. I thought that it would be a good idea 50k in to go with a more cushy shoe. Big mistake!! It was on a rocky loop course and I think that the plate on the bottom of the Cascadias did a much better job "spreading out the impact" from the rocks where the hokas absorbed the rocks. I don't know if this makes sense at all but my feet were much more trashed after switching to the Bondi's.

I think switching is a good idea if the shoes are "similar" (ie same model but updated version)