Trailer Trash

Tapering Tuesday (Read 30 times)

LB2

Ten after work on the TM at the gym.

QOTD: Have you reached and/or gone beyond your initial goals you had when you started running?

Yes. When I started running, I wanted to lose 10 pounds and be able to run 3 miles comfortably. That was about 6 or 7 years ago. Since then, I have run a couple of 1/2 marathons, a couple of 50K's, a 100K, a 50 miler, a 100 miler, plus a classic meltdown in another 100 miler, and I have run in some shorter races that were also fun and much faster than I would have ever imagined when I first started. I have paced people to sub 24 100 milers, paced people to 100 mile DNF's, and 100 mile wins. I have also found that I enjoy helping other people as a crew member/pacer just as much as I enjoy running in an event. Running has been one of the best decisions I have ever made, and I have met some wonderful people along the way.

LB2

dpc3

Short work out at the office gym and a bunch of walking for me. Knee is feeling stronger everyday and I hope to be back running soon after my first initial PT visit next week.

QOTD: I have run my whole life due to sports so yes but when it comes to Ultra goals I have not met them Yet!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got in a misty 5.3 miles last night. There was a cool fog/mist thing going on.  Legs are not doing great.  Unsure if I am pushing too much or what.  I am undecided if I should take yet another break.

dpc3 - good to hear your knee is getting stronger.

QOTD: When I started running in 2008, it was with a goal to run and finish a marathon.  I honestly did not think I could do it.  When I was training I had this weird feeling that I wanted to run a 50 miler someday despite not doing well at my marathon training.  I felt like it was just a random thought.  I did finish the marathon and then another.  But to answer the question, yes I have gone beyond my goals in regards to distance.  But now I have adjusted my goals.  I had lots of goals in regards to speed and was on pace to keeping PRing in the HM but then I tripped into trail races.  This has ruined me forever.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training this evening

a few pics from my run-fish-run adventure yesterday, snow was almost a foot deep at the lake, two really tough climbs to get into the lake, wind was howling (35-45 mph), enough so that it made the snow sting, BUT I caught a really chunky 16"-ish Yellowstone cutthroat (and then got the hell out of there!)  

qotd: my original goal was to be able to run 3 miles w/o dying, I've made that goal, but have many others I haven't made-yet

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

DigDug2

SRD for me.  Got back last night from the Grand Canyon - had a great time, will work on a report.

QOTD:  I've never been very goal-oriented as a runner.  I have a vague desire to feel like a strong runner, to be able to push myself at a variety of distances, and to train for specific races when the desire strikes, and I feel satisfied that I have done that/am doing that.

XtremeTaper

Nice run last night which was a good turn of events as I wasn't all that excited to head out there as it was such a dark, grey, gloomy, damp day. The gsp and I did our easy red trail 7 mile loop at Green Lane and it ended up being very enjoyable. There was some rain but it was just drizzle and mist and in a few places in the woods the brown gold leaves were so thick on the path and forest floor that they seemed to brighten up the trail and the woods. Sort of a popping effect I suppose.. We ran somewhere between moderate and easy effort but the time for the loop was pretty good. I guess you can't go wrong just getting out there. Today will be a similar distance over at Coventry Woods. It's sort of spring like today temperature wise.

QOTD: I've met a lot of my goals, BQ, Sub20 5k, Sub 1:30 half, sub5 50k, sub8 50 miles, but missed some others like sub3 marathon and sub40 10k. Probably could have knocked out the 10k time on an easy route when I was in "shape". Honestly never trained hard enough for the sub3 marathon though I was right on the edge once. I would have taken another cycle or two and I wasn't interested in the investment it would take to get there. Ran a few 100 milers which completing one of those is a goal in and of itself but none of the courses I ran did I stand a chance of making a 24 hour time. Wait.. you are talking initial goals. I don't even remember what those were now come to think of it!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

A rainy, dreary day in central Pa. Temps are up into the upper 60 and lower 70s though. Planning on getting in a little over 8 this afternoon. About 7 of that will be running, then DW will probably meet me and we'll walk back together.

QOTD:  I've met my initial goals, but not my secondary ones. My initial goal was to run a 1/2 then a full marathon. I had just started increasing run mileage when I stumbled onto the trail races here in PA.  Both the 1/2 and full marathon goals fell in the first year. By that time I had set my sights on Ultras. First a 50k, then either a 50 miler or 100k followed by a 100miler.  The 50k goal has been met twice. Distances above that are on hold for now. The problems are, lack of time for training, injury, and most importantly, stomach issues. Until I can figure out how to get my stomach to tolerate running over 20-25 miles on a regular basis I'm afraid that the 50s will be the longest distance I can achieve.

AT-runner

Tim

The PA damp weather continues.  Foggy morning run today.  Really fun run as my normal woods felt so different when you couldn't see anything approaching.  It made me feel faster.

QOTD:  Can't remember any original goals, it's been decades.  For a while it was a sub 20min 5k, and I did that way too many years ago that it doesn't even count anymore.  Longer distances just developed and don't know if they were goals or just challenges.  Most were destination related, like "hey I want to run the Chicago Marathon" or "Pikes Peak looks like fun".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Until I can figure out how to get my stomach to tolerate running over 20-25 miles on a regular basis I'm afraid that the 50s will be the longest distance I can achieve.

Try Tailwind. It worked wonders for me. I have heard a few people who said it did not do it for them, but not many.

LB2

runtraildc

Got in 6 easy, slow miles this morning.  I was hoping for a foggy run along the trail, but all I got was humidity.  Still a nice run.

qotd:  lifelong runner here, so many goals over the years and they're usually in flux.  Main goals are to keep running and not get too slow.   Good on the first, though I've had a few moments this past year.  Second one is getting iffy.  Working more diligently on that one lately.

Daydreamer1

Try Tailwind. It worked wonders for me. I have heard a few people who said it did not do it for them, but not many.

Based on the reports from you and some others here I've been thinking of trying Tailwind. Perpetuem actually works pretty well for me but it's a little difficult to carry enough of it with me on the longer runs.

LB2

Based on the reports from you and some others here I've been thinking of trying Tailwind. Perpetuem actually works pretty well for me but it's a little difficult to carry enough of it with me on the longer runs.

They just came out with a 200 calorie "stick" that is perfect. However, it is cheaper to get the 50 serving bag for 34.99 and get some little 2x4 zip lock baggies and carry those with pre measured amounts. But then again, the pre-packaged ones would cost you about 50 bucks.

Perpetuem is too chalky for me, and it doesn't completely dissolve like Tailwind does. Two or three shakes and tailwind is completely gone, every time.

LB2

dpc3

They just came out with a 200 calorie "stick" that is perfect. However, it is cheaper to get the 50 serving bag for 34.99 and get some little 2x4 zip lock baggies and carry those with pre measured amounts. But then again, the pre-packaged ones would cost you about 50 bucks.

I second the use of Tailwind and won't take any credit for being the crack dealer who got LB hooked.

Daydreamer1

I second the use of Tailwind and won't take any credit for being the crack dealer who got LB hooked.

Ok, I just ordered some. Now I'll see if it's as good as crack .

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Plan is to run tonight...I need to take Extreme's advice more often.  I just adding my runs to my log and I wasn't too impressed with who I have become since June...During the hardest time of my life I have stopped doing what I loved for no good reason when "you can't go wrong just getting out there.."  Always feel good after a run!! Time for a change and a little soul searching.

I guess you can't go wrong just getting out there.

QOTD:  I've always ran to stay in shape for sports and to fit into the jeans.  First goal was probably  to run a marathon then get better times in certain races.  I am going to make some goals (see above) to focus on in the future; such as a 50 miler and some running adventures.

LB2:  You trying to get sponsored by Tailwind?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄