Trailer Trash

Thursdaily (Read 31 times)

Occasional Runner

I woke the puppy up early and we were on the trail by 1:45 AM for 6 miles of rolling hills in the mountains. Jo and I have an early flight today, heading to see Burke for a weekend of running fast and far.

After my race in Louisiana, we'll be headed to Texas for another race. In between, we'll take some time to rest, eat good food and drink large quantities of beer.

I ran in the new Altra Superior 2.0 this morning. I was given a pair so I can write a shoe review for one of my sponsors. It's a little early to judge, but I really like what they did with this one.

QOTD: What do you use an indicator that it's time to retire your shoes? Mileage? Wear? Damage?

I run in my shoes until they become fully used up or damaged. I routinely get more than 1000 miles out of some models. I tend to think that the shoe companies promote the 400 mile lifecycle for shoes in an effort to maintain a high level of shoe sales.

Gator eye

You got me beat, I slept in till 3 this morning before heading out for a quick paced 8.

QOTD: I usuall pitch em once I wear through the hard rubber or when my calf's complain after I run in them. Been averaging 500 to 700 miles

runtraildc

Morning folks!  Ended up with a little over 4 last night, and am planning on the same today.  But on the trails, not road, which I've been seeing a little too much of lately.

qotd:  I have no idea of how many miles I wear a shoe before they get retired.    I go by tread wear and feel.  If I start feeling discomfort in my feet and legs, that's usually the sign for me.

Not feeling great today but planning to get out for an hour run after work.

Lace - do you ever sleep?  I could barely get up at 7 today

QOTD: I usually judge by the wear of the tread. I supinate so the outer edges always wear much faster than the rest.

NorthernHarrier

Nothing exciting around here. An hour around the hood on blacktop this morning and then more coffee. Our trails right now are a combination of ice, frozen dirt, and a little snow. Kinda hard to run in the dark so we persevere. Man cave workout tonight watching some football. I think I'll start upping the intensity on the elliptical.

QOTD--Kind of an inexact science. I date the shoes with a sharpie under the insole so I have a general idea of time and loosely can guess the miles by that. But in the end it is all about the feel.   Interesting that some of you look at tread wear, maybe it's the way I run but I seldom notice my outsoles ever showing wear until long after they are retired from running and just wearing around. Maybe I just retire them too soon.

AT-runner

Tim

Woke up at the crack of 7:10 and ran my boring 10k loop on the road.  Heard 2 gun shots coming from the mountains, so the road was a good decision.  Can't wait until Sunday when I get my woods back during a state mandated day of hunting rest.

Lace - Enjoy it now, in a couple of years that pup will say WTF when you try to go out for a 1:45 run.

QOTD:  Like NH, I date my shoes (wide old men think alike), but mostly go my how my legs feel.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

The pooch and I did 4 miles of trail running this morning.  My head got cold because I buzzed off my hair short yesterday and didn't wear a helmet Smile

QOTD: Usually I go by mileage.  I find that for trail running tread wear is a very unreliable indicator for me because it is so variable depending on the surface.  How quickly the sides blow out seems to be different from one model year to another for a given shoe model.  Sometimes the mid sole is shot or the area around my little toes blows out with pretty much no visible tread wear.  I find that somewhere between 500 and 700 miles the aches and pains prompt me to retire my shoes even if the sides have not blown out and there is very little tread wear.  I try to retire them just before any of that happens.

I log my mileage in a spreadsheet and fill in the number assigned to the pair of shoes I am wearing.  The spreadsheet automatically tallies the mileage on each pair.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

moonlightrunner

Day off from work. Much of it will be spent withgrand children and shopping. A run in the late afternoon. Not sure if it will be trail or bike path.

Lace: you never cease to amaze me! I'll bet your dog is absolutely in love with her life. I imagine she will be lonely for you while u are gone. Good luck this weekend!

Gator: kudos to you...I set my alarm every morning for 330...turn it off and go back to sleep. I am SUCH a loser!

Qotd: if something starts to hurt... I consider the age and condition of my shoes. I find with trail running the condtion of the upper becomes a problem. Since I run in vff's there is no mid sole to blow out like there was when I ran in normal shoes. When I was heavy shoes rarely made it past 300 miles.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

Hmmm. I think Altra should throw in a pair of 11.5's so the team matches. I ran an easy 2.7 to 3 this morning through the woods. I could smell the white oak acorns; I love that smell. Looked like the buck started working his scrape again; maybe I'll get after him next week. But I probably won't. I don't plan to be running at 1:45 Sunday morning, Kelly.

QOTD: When I ran a lot of road, I just kept an eye on the wear patterns. I haven't run many miles on pavement in the last year or so, and I just sort of go by how they feel. I have close to 250 miles on a pair of Altra Olympus, maybe 350. They are just now starting to feel right, so I expect many more miles on them. But even on the road, once I learned how to run more efficiently, I got a lot more miles out of shoes. I used to have a thunderous stride.

LB2

Occasional Runner

I don't plan to be running at 1:45 Sunday morning, Kelly.

We should definitely be done before 1:45 AM Burke. If not, it means things didn't go as planned.

XtremeTaper

Unlike Lace I slept my regular 7 hours and the thought of running when I woke up was not on my mind. Instead, waited for lunchtime and light and warmth. Well 35 degrees or so of warmth. I'll take it. A bit of a chilly headwind on the way out but the back portion of the loop felt downright balmy. Count me in for a hilly 6 miles on one of my more scenic road loops. Might spin the dog around the neighborhood later for 2 more.

QOTD: I don't track or calculate miles anymore as I have too many shoes in the rotation, so I go by appearance. Tread, rips, and tears, etc. My first pair of Superior trail shoes had a big hole on the upper on the right side, and I still wore them for a few more runs.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Got up at 0430 and headed out to the woods to play hide-and-seek with the deer. As is normal, they won. Seen a few a long way off looking like they were laughing at us. Now I'm at home getting DW upset with me for swiping her cookie dough.  Now she's making me lick and stamp the Christmas cards.

Planning on a balance workout, then either the trainer, elliptical or a run or some combination of all three.

QOTD: With the Hokas I go mostly by wear on the outer sole. I find that the outer sole can be almost gone and they still feel fine. Other shoes I go by feel. I do track my mileage in my spreadsheet program. I've reached 1400 miles on my Mafates but my Stinsons will probably go in the trash between 700-800.  Most other shoes last about 500-600 miles until they don't feel right.

Watoni

Ran 4 last night in the rain on the town easy trails to do some shopping.

Achilles are still sore but MRI negative so what the hey?

I am really hoping for a run this evening but work is trying to make that impossible ....

QOTD: Depends on the shoes. La Sportiva Helios are pretty light so they lose their cush after a while, other shoes if the tread or uppers go.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Watoni..I sent you a PM with my number...are you going to be a Northface this weekend?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

Watoni..I sent you a PM with my number...are you going to be a Northface this weekend?

Probably need to visit my mom this weekend due given her health. I will be back sometime Sunday, though. I will give you a call. If you are staying around a bit we could either do dinner or run Monday for recovery Smile