Trailer Trash

Try it, its Tuesdaily (Read 43 times)

XtremeTaper

Last night the Lady and I ran 6.5-7 mi on the trails of Coventry Woods. The trails were covered in 3" or so of wet slippery fresh snow. Made for slow going during the climbs. I think a flat rail trail run is in order for tonight.

QOTD: I've volunteered, crewed, paced, stood around with a clipboard, taken some impromptu photos, etc. Doing the MMT100 volunteer stint again this year at the mile 78'ish aid station. Pacing my friend for 38 miles at Massanutten for his first 100 mile finish was one of the best running experiences I ever had.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

I’m over here in the wilds of Scotland this week.  Actually I’m staying in a hotel on a golf course in a little suburb of Edinbugh.  Unfortunately there is too much snow and cold weather here at the moment to get a quick round in, but I guess the off-season rates are good.  Had to settle for a 5 mile run along a hike/bike path that I found early this morning, it was nice rolling scenery along a little stream.  Getting in a 28 deg F run in is always a plus for me.

After spending today stuck in the office we’re going to join one of the guys here at his indoor cricket league, just hope my old softball playing days come back to me.  As long as they have beer it should be ok.   Cool

Qotd: I highly recommend volunteering and helping out at any race.  I typically help out at a local marathon and the RR100 each year.

tbd.

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

8 pre-dawn miles this morning in the new Hoka Stinson. So far, so good. I've been a little under the weather lately, so it felt really good to get out and move.

QOTD: I have not yet worked a race, but plan to this summer.

Uh oh... now what?

1:36:47.2 (I was yelled at because it was supposed to be a 90-minute run) inventorying

trails for downed stuff, almost blooming rhodies, and not-removed-yet ribbons from the

mountain bike race over the weekend.

QOTD:  Volunteering, regardless of the place or role, is a great way to learn about trail or

ultramarathon running.  I don't think of it as a "pay back" sort of thing, but as just another

part of being out there.  It changes the view completely and is very rewarding.

The bragging side:  sweep--several times (50k), aid station--50k, 100M/50M, 12-hour, 6-hour,

finish line (we had a wonderful string of five years as the finish line crew for the McKenzie

River Trail Run 50k) really missed it when we left, a most challenging job:  doing the food

procurement for a 12-hour (meant begging and pleading with local places), race check-in is

one of the most tense positions, lap counter (before chip counters were invented) for a 12-hour,

lead car for a road 10k (fun to drive along honking at people--I was driving on the paved bike

path thingie where you don't expect a maniac in a car [small car])...

Aha!  Bag stuffing--many races need volunteers a night or two before the event to put together

the bags you get when you check in.  We did it at several places, usually in someone's home,

but the armory at Leadville is a nice distraction as you get ready to run in the mountains.  We

met people from all over the world as we put the bags together.

Daydreamer1

Finally have a fairly nice day with Temps in the upper 40s. Too busy to go for a long run so had to content myself with a 6.3 mile loop. For some reason I totally sucked. Still a bad day running beats a good day at work. Now I'm back to studying for a biology test tomorrow.

QOTD: So far the only thing I've done is run the races. Sometime I hope to volunteer.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Dear, oh dear, this was one miserable run that I got in. Worst pace ever! I tried to run strong, but the snow was stronger, so while the first 4 or 5 miles were very nice, yet challenging, toward the end of the 9 miles, I just trudged up the hills that I usually run. The snow was almost knee-high, very heavy, slushy, slippery and mean. The sole of my left foot started to hurt, my heels got chafed and frozen, my feet felt like ice clumps, my legs were fried. At one point, I just wanted to lie down and cry myself to sleep - glad I pushed through. Felt like a 50k, though.

Just glad I got it in, and I swore to myself, no more running in the snow, ever. If there's one single snow flake at the Hyner, I won't even start. And I might even stick to this resolution, at least until tomorrow! Big grin

My new trail shoes (Cascadia 7's) arrived, but I'm too tired to get them out of the box. That will have to wait until tomorrow. I just want a nap, but no, kids' taxiing waiting (I am sure I'll fall asleep during their swim lessons).

Run for fun.

Runinaround

Another 7 miles last night making yesterday a 15 mile day and just got back from a lunch time stairs and weights training. I wil do about 10 miles after work on the trails, I  will wait till it cools some because its 78 out right now.

QOTD: I volunteered doing day of registration before Bandit 50K once but thats about it, I would love to volunteer a aid station soon.

Snowdenrun

I went out the door today planning on just running with no goal in mind. This week is crazy for me. I woke up stressed and just wanted to have some me-time for a bit. I ran just over 11 miles at a pretty good pace of 8:40/mile considering I wasn't trying for a time or distance. That hour and a half was great. Came home, stretched, ate, yelled at stupid drivers... yep still stressed.

QOTD: I haven't actually run in a race yet. There are very few races where I live. But after I get a few races under my belt I'd love to volunteer at one, maybe a shorter distance race.

I got 9.5 miles in this afternoon and sort of took a different approach than usual. I kept my heart rate between 140-145 after warming up and let the pace fall where it may. The idea was too keep going until my pace dropped to what it was while warming up. It took a little under 2 hours. Kind of and interesting exercise.

Just before getting back to the trail head on my last lap, I came up on a guy with an off leash puppy that was obviously quite concerned about this stranger running towards them. So, I stopped and tried to make friends, which made my Garmin start beeping at me and further scared the puppy! I totally struck out with the dog. Even after turning the watch off, and crouching down facing sideways she wouldn't come anywhere near me and would run away growl a bit then cautiously approach only to run away again. She wouldn't even pass by me until I retreated 5 ft or so off the trail. Not sure what was up with that. I guess just completely unsocialized.

qotd: I volunteer to set up for the pasta diner and help with the packet pick-up the night before the Cheaha 50k. Definitely a fun way to meet a bunch of runners.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

muppy

Boyjame, I live In sleepy little town of Palmyra, its close to Hershey.

moonlightrunner

I got 9.5 miles in this afternoon and sort of took a different approach than usual. I kept my heart rate between 140-145 after warming up and let the pace fall where it may. The idea was too keep going until my pace dropped to what it was while warming up. It took a little under 2 hours. Kind of and interesting exercise.

Just before getting back to the trail head on my last lap, I came up on a guy with an off leash puppy that was obviously quite concerned about this stranger running towards them. So, I stopped and tried to make friends, which made my Garmin start beeping at me and further scared the puppy! I totally struck out with the dog. Even after turning the watch off, and crouching down facing sideways she wouldn't come anywhere near me and would run away growl a bit then cautiously approach only to run away again. She wouldn't even pass by me until I retreated 5 ft or so off the trail. Not sure what was up with that. I guess just completely unsocialized.

qotd: I volunteer to set up for the pasta diner and help with the packet pick-up the night before the Cheaha 50k. Definitely a fun way to meet a bunch of runners.

What you described is exactly how my dog acts when out on the trail with other people.  She has a timid personality and is afraid of almost everyone.  She was a rescue...probably a puppy mill product from down south...and likely the victim of an abusive man.  I've had her for over 5 years and she is ok with me but will not go up to anyone else. She barks at them, mainly because she is afraid to run by them. She is terrified of everyone and everything...and is normal only when she is running off leash in the woods.

Had a nice run today with my dog.  Ran in my 5 fingers for the first time this year. MOst of the snow is off the trail, so cold toes were not a problem. It felt good to be out of my winter watershoes/wool socks I run in.  At the end of my run it was sleeting heavily.  I am sooooo sick of snow.  Some of you speak of flowers blooming. I am convinced spring will never be here. Of course, it is supposed to warm up this weekend...when I am working 12 hour shifts...then I think it is supposed to snow again.  But...nasty weather or not...it sure is nice to be out running again!

qotd:  I volunteered a couple of years at Dances With Dirt. Registration one year, aid stations the other. It was a great time.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k