Trailer Trash

Moving DS across the country - where to run? (Read 46 times)

AT-runner

Tim

DS changed his moving date, and looks like I'll be going out with him in a box truck, towing his car from Gettysburg, PA to Portland, OR. Leaving Friday August 29th.

We're planning on taking the Northern route, past Chicago through WI, MN, SD, WY, WA and into OR.

Route will take us past some really nice spots (Badlands, Northern Yellowstone entrance, etc.)

Any info on where I really need to get on some trails is appreciated.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I will happily show you around a park near the Madison area if the timing works out.  I bet we could convince NorthernHarrier to come along too.

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

I would be happy to connect. Cool. Puts you thru here what, midday on Saturday on Labor day wknd I'm guessing w/o looking at a calendar. I know for certain I'll be around that Monday and maybe all weekend. Once you leave Madison on I-90 there is not a whole lot anymore until you hit the Black Hills. The Badlands are just as well seen from the car on the circle route with an occasional little foot trail. I do have the National Forest maps somewhere for the Black Hills. If I find them and we connect on your way thru you can certainly take them along. Lots of options in there.

The Bighorns are just a short side trip to your west off 90 as you head towards Mt. Very tempting side trip.  Warden hopefully pipes in for the next leg. If you're going on the north side of Yellowstone a drive on the Beartooth hi-way from Red Lodge to the NE entrance is spectacular with lots of trail options. I have maps of that laying around too!

Hey, if we can connect that would be great. You will be driving by within about 2 miles of my house.

Uh oh... now what?

"...past Chicago through WI, MN, SD, WY, WA and into OR."

WY, MT, ID, WA  -- Montana, then Idaho, I think you are on I90.  An hourish west of Spokane, drop off I90 onto US395, Kennewick (divided all the way), up and over the hill onto I82 (east/south) to cross the Columbia, west on I84 to Portland.

I vote against the Beartooth in late August while towing -- too many crazed last-trip tourists.

Trying to visualize a few stops along the Interstate (we almost always avoid them).

AT-runner

Tim

We'll start out after I finish work on Friday, stop outside Pittsburgh for the night and would likely be stopping our drive pretty near Madison on Saturday afternoon or early evening (depending on Chicago traffic).

Mandy and NH, I'll send a pm later to get some contact cell # info.

runtraildc

Somewhat true.  All the best trails in MN will be too far off 94 and a 3 hour side trip to the north shore of Lake Superior may not be appreciated by DS.   However, by your timeline, you should be getting to Mpls-St Paul by lunch on Sunday?   Think urban trails along one of their beautiful lakes and rivers.  Just off 94 in downtown Mpls with plenty of U-haul friendly parking on a holiday, you can stretch the legs on a paved trail along the river, looping over the bridges--here is a link that can help plan a loop.  

Then get lunch-

Once you leave Madison on I-90 there is not a whole lot anymore until you hit the Black Hills.

NorthernHarrier

Yeah runtrail I was kinda thinking the same thing IF he was taking 94 but it sounds like he'll be taking 90 to the Black Hills.  but yeah going up 94 gives a few more options fairly close to the Interstate in Wi and the Twin Cities. But again after that not much until you get near Roosevelt Nat'l Park in N. Dakota.   Weird fact--It is the exact same trip distance and time from Madison to Billings whether I take 90 or 94.

Have you ever been to Minnesota's Blue Mound state park in the southwest part of the state? Sounds like a rock climbing destination not far from 90.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if you're towing something, I'm w/ John- I'd skip the Beartooth Highway- imo the prettiest highway in the world, but also one of the most twisting, climbing, turning ones- pure heaven in a 911 or a Ducati Big grin, much less so towing an outfit, maybe on the way back????

if you're not towing you can stop in Red Lodge and pick up a trail map for the Beartooths (there is one called something like best dayhikes of the Beartooths)- many of the trailheads are directly off the highway- w/ the advantage that much of the major climbing is done w/ your vehicle

on I-94 shortly after you enter MT (it turns to I-90 in Billings), you'll come to the town of Glendive- they have a state park, Makoshika (Lakota for bad earth or bad land)- very cool badlands and they have a network of single track trails (not well marked, but should be able to find your way easy enough)- stop in the visitors center they were working on a trail map- should be done by now

once further in Montana you have tons of options, you can exit at Big Timber and hit the Crazies, you can exit at Livingston and hit the Absarokas, you can exit at Bozeman and hit the Gallatins or Bridgers, you can exit at Three Forks and hit the Madisons, Missoula has several options for running close to the interstate- Mount Jumbo, Mount Sentinel- a little further the Rattlesnake Wilderness

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

I think of the northern route as 94, which takes you up thru ND, thru the twin cities.  sorry about that.  I haven't been to Blue Mound, but I've heard good things about it.   Might be worth looking into. And AT, please keep in mind, 90 thru southern MN does not represent the incredible beauty of the state.

Yeah runtrail I was kinda thinking the same thing IF he was taking 94 but it sounds like he'll be taking 90 to the Black Hills.  but yeah going up 94 gives a few more options fairly close to the Interstate in Wi and the Twin Cities. But again after that not much until you get near Roosevelt Nat'l Park in N. Dakota.   Weird fact--It is the exact same trip distance and time from Madison to Billings whether I take 90 or 94.

Have you ever been to Minnesota's Blue Mound state park in the southwest part of the state? Sounds like a rock climbing destination not far from 90.

NorthernHarrier

I did a quick google check. It sounds like they use a vehicle length of 40' as a max.  Of course maybe he has no intention of going that route anyway(Beartooth)  But you've seen all those large rented RV's going up that road driven by Mr. Magoo. He'd have no trouble. As far as tourist... well first he's from Gettysburg and second anyone moving across country on Labor day wknd well......

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

And AT, please keep in mind, 90 thru southern MN does not represent the incredible beauty of the state.

Agreed.  You're not getting a taste of real Minnesota, but that just means you'll have to come back to check out the Superior Hiking Trail another time!  Driving through La Crosse and crossing the Mississippi into MN is nice area though.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Just got back from a looooong seminar.

Yes, towing across country over Labor Day will be fun. Not my first choice, but DS picked the move date. I'm just going along for the ride (and to pay).  We're backpackers, so will have our hammocks (bear burrito's) to use for rest.  Also plan on slowing down once we pass MN.

We've been to MN and WI several times to visit friends and relatives, so our sightseeing trip will start once we get to unfamiliar grounds.

I plan on unhitching his car and parking the 16' van to do some sightseeing.  I will probably do out and back runs and DS will hike when he's not sleeping.

Yes on using Rt90.

Thanks for input.  Makoshika SP looks awesome!

NorthernHarrier

AT, just an update fro me. Looks like I will most likely be around Madison on Labor Day weekend. If it works out it would be great to get some trails in close by.  See if what's her name is available too.