Trailer Trash

Tenacious Tuesday (Read 29 times)

LB2

I'm heading out for 4 or 5 in the dark. I had a great tempo 5 mile run yesterday after work. It was hot, humid, and windy. I saw one deer and almost stepped on a black runner that was relaxing in the pine straw.

QOTD: Do you ever try to place well or win a race?

Yes, but I don't do that very often. I usually race some shorter stuff that I'll just go for broke. And sometimes, that is exactly how I end up, broken. But since they are usually short runs of 1/2 marathon or less, I don't worry too much about recovery time. I just like to run hard for some shorter stuff once in a awhile and try to really push myself and some others. On longer stuff, I just try to run smart and efficiently, without any regard to where I end up placing. Ultras are just fun things to be a part of for me. Although, I have gotten a lot better at that 50K distance over the summer. So, I may push one of those next year and see what happens.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if my legs feel a little better by this afternoon I'll give me hill repeats a go, if not I'll get in a 5-6-ish easy miles in

qotd: there is no chance of me winning any races ; for me a good finish is solidly mid-pack- I've done that exactly twice

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

Just got in from a hilly road run. I have some steep hills in our neighborhood that I use to test my fitness, so I wanted to hit them and see how my recovery is going. I was able to run to the top of every hill, but not as fast as I would like.

QOTD: Yes, and I'm very systematic about it. I plan a few races in the fall that fit my style and I work toward winning one or two of them. This fall is was Lemming Loop, Cottonmouth 100 and Cajun Coyote 100. They're all similar courses and I should have a chance to at least podium in all three. I try to win in the fall because it's my contract renewal time for sponsors and if you want to maintain relevance, you need some wins. I do the same thing in the spring, which helps boost my position with sponsors through the summer. That's why I ran Jackpot and Pickled Feet this year, where I hold course records at both races. Then I just screw around at fun mountain races in the summer, which I have no shot at winning.

XtremeTaper

Good morning all.. bright and sunny here with nice temperatures forecast. Best thoughts to those in the south dealing with flooding.

The Lady and I had a spiffy and someone fast 7 miler last night at Coventry Woods. 1:02 and change which is fast for me on this loop. Felt good, but did not really feel like I raced it or even hit tempo effort. Must have been the cooler temps. Something similar this evening.

QOTD: Well, any short local trail races (10k-half) I have a good chance of placing in my AG (50-59) whether I intend to or not. I don't give it much thought other than it is motivation to keep pushing while you are out there. As for winning overall, ha, no, but I did that once this year at a 12 hour down in Florida. I actually went wire to wire in that one which was a very strange and unusual feeling. No one showed up I suppose, though I did run a lap with a 6 hour runner who ran a similar pace. A surprise was my last hard road marathon in 2008 I placed top5 in my AG at Steamtown. Mandy has the finish lot shot of me posing in my arm panties.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got in a slow 3 miles last night at the gym followed by a light upper body workout.  I hope to get in some loops at DS soccer practice tonight - which will be weird because all last week was a wash (literally) for his soccer practices and game.

From yesterday: Queen - I didn't say I wasn't doing any races, I had said I was thinking about a race (or two).  Two is a possibility so you better get on it!

AT - thanks for the picture.  I wasn't a happy camper at that point.

QOTD: Win? Ha, that's funny.  But I will try and race myself - either a previous time (think racing the ghost like in Mario Kart) or what my expectations are for the race. I tried racing BC over the weekend and well, that didn't go as planned.  The thing that screws up races for me is other runners.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

slosh

I did 3.5 on Sunday. Had to cut it short, my right hip flexor is jacked. Guess I still need more rest. After my race 2 weeks ago, I had to grab my leg and lift it into the car.  I'll probably start doing some physical therapy exercises from Dr Google. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to be fully recovered.

QOTD:  Never have. I usually only do 1 100 mile race a year.

NHLA

8 miles around the mt. Sunshine!! Great morning. We had 15" rain on the mt. Very lucky we disn't lose power.

A few big trees came down.

qotd   yes  I always try to win AG and I usually at least place. I'm happy when I finish in top ten overall.

8-15k is my best distance.

Daydreamer1

Today is the first of three days in a row off work.  When I look at the schedule it's busier than if I was at work. Hopefully there is a 7+ mile run in my future today, but that is in doubt.

QOTD: Always. As in I always try to place somewhere above the bottom 20%. Around this neck of the woods that's really not very difficult to do as most of the races I do have a lot of power hikers. I really would like to be in the middle of the pack.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I had a nice morning.  The old man left at 4AM so I laid in bed reading and waiting for some light.  Then ran 5.5 with the mutts.  Ran into Bob an really old guy that run walks on Tuesday and Fridays.  So we chatted a bit, as always.  Nice cool weather.  Now at work drinking a coffee and f*cking off.

QOTD:  Of course.  If the race is small I always try to win my age group.  It has happened a couple of times.  And I always try to place well counting how many younger men and women I beat. 

Jamie:  I have a habit of hearing (reading) what I want to read/hear.  Yes I know I better get on it!!  I think about you all the time... 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Did some exploring today and was able to locate an old connector trail between some nice single tract.  These trails get little to nousage, so next time I'll have to let DW know where I'm going. Exploring really gets me fired up, and now I'm going to look for some old maps to see where I was. Looked like an old logging section from decades ago.

QOTD:  I'm a 20min 5k runner and even in the 50-54 age group that usually gets me nothing.  The longer I go the better I do as far as average and I seem to place better in fixed time events.   Running is what I do now, but it's not what I'm good at.  I won a few team adventure races and won some MTB races in my category, but don't do those anymore. Guess that means I'm not driven by trying to win, but to test myself and I do trail races because I like the trail community much better than other racing communities.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

AT  our times are so much slower in the mountains. A 20 min 5k would place here. on a hard course.

I think you could place at Thomas Wolf 8k or Apple Festival 8k. Both these races are hilly but runable and favor a strong runner.

AT-runner

Tim

AT  our times are so much slower in the mountains. A 20 min 5k would place here. on a hard course.

I think you could place at Thomas Wolf 8k or Apple Festival 8k. Both these races are hilly but runable and favor a strong runner.

I help run a local road 5k, and the 4th fastest 50-59 year old last year ran 19:13. The top, at the spry young age of 51, ran 17:12. We got some speedy old men around here.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

8 on the home trails today.. still feeling beat up. by the end of the run it's become clear that my feet are also wound up like bowstrings and need immediate attention. yikes! I guess I shold have planned for a little more downtime after last race

qotd: Yeah, I'm both systematic and competitive as well, though not nearly so prolific as Mr. Lace. I know my chances depend upon who shows up(which I watch very closely if possible in planning race strategy), but I don't do a ton of long races and generally try to podium if it seems even remotely possible. I'll also usually try to manage a 'sneak-off win' at a 5k sometime during the year just because it's fun. We've got a ton of fast masters runners here and I'm not particularly looking forward to aging up(40 in Dec), but there are so damn many 5ks going on that if I pick it right the 18ish I can currently manage is usually good enough for the top spot. Questionable tactics, sure, but it's nice to be out front and it gets me a free entry to the local Hall of Fame race in the summer so I guess that's good enough for me.

I do have a hard time just running to finish no matter what the distance, though I recognize that it's actually fun to do and would be a point of growth if I could manage that more often.

runtraildc

Holy cow!  The first place boys in the XC meet was 17:15 today.  And this kid was 30 seconds or more ahead of everyone else.

I help run a local road 5k, and the 4th fastest 50-59 year old last year ran 19:13. The top, at the spry young age of 51, ran 17:12. We got some speedy old men around here.

Oh, I got in an easy 3.5 miles in rock creek.  Beautiful run and there were a couple of leaves showing color.  Foliage should pick up in the next couple of weeks.  Seems really green still here.

qotd:  I'm solid middle of the pack.  Sometimes I creep near the top third.  Did win my AG once in a 5k trail race, even after spraining my ankle and getting lost (how do you get lost on a 3 mile race!?!).  There was only one other woman in my age group.  It was a really small race.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

4 slowpoke miles, half trail, half bike path. Felt very hard.

Maybe because I ran yesterday's 8.5 at a pretty speedy pace, but still, I should be in better shape. Blame it on the bronchitis, and I'm good. 

ATL Whoa, some really fast guys in your area! Around here, we have some very speedy (Olympic Trial speedy) young runners (thanks to the PSU Athletics), but in my age group, which is the same as yours, things are definitely mellowing out a tad.

QOTD: All I can go for is my age group, and to my dismay, there are some fast old ladies around here, at least on the roads. Not so much on trails, though. At trail or ultra races, depending on the number of female starters, I can try to place in my age group, or to make it into the top 10 master ladies, but it does not always work out that way. At local road races, which have many more starters, I might try for top 10 in my age group, but more is not in reach for me. On roads, I usually go for a personal best, not for a place.

Run for fun.