Trailer Trash

Mental Monday (Read 21 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

trying to wrap my head around what I need to have//bring for my race this weekend.    Plan is to get up and walk/jog the dogs for a couple of miles.

Qotd: hmmm...oh George posted one...for the most part new races..the races are so expensive that after paying to run it, I can go back later and just run the trail again for free.  I would do a favorite again if a good group is going.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Finally tapering this week. Maybe a short run this morning before walking with the LRS group this evening.

qotd: What's your preference, return to a favorite race each year or find something new? This is becoming an issue for me because my favorite ultras are D3 in May and NC24 in September, both times of the year when there are many enticing races from which to choose.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

Hey Queenie... feel free to ask questions. Is your race point to point, big loop, out/back, multiple loops? Key things besides fuel are to have dry clothes, mostly a mix of short sleeve/long sleeve tops based on the weather, cap and gloves if there is a chance of cold, lights and extra batteries, and spare socks. Honestly I try to avoid changing shoes if possible. Socks too unless the feet are suffering.

Anyway, might take a day off from running today, then again might not. I think remnants of Florence are passing this way tonight and tomorrow. I will hit the gym for usual nonsense at lunch.

This weekend, I did a 5+ mile doggie joggie with the Lady out at French Creek. It was warm, so looped around both lakes and had plenty of stops for the Lady to cooldown. The lower lake, Hopewell was pretty crowded with hikers, and the Lady insisted on being admired by many of them. Yesterday, steady state run on the flat rail trail. Felt pretty decent, managed about 9 minute pace for the 9 miles out back. Used to run this under 70 minutes regularly, now goal is to break 80.

QOTD: I am not racing much these days, outside of short local races a few times here and there to force myself to do a workout. I have tended to fall in a pattern to do the same race multiple times, with the occasional new race here or there. I've done Laurel Highlands 5 times, Whispering Pine 4 times, and few others multiple times.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Unsure what I will run tonight.  DD has volleyball practice, DW is away at a meeting and I have papers to grade.  So running takes a back seat.  Did get in a healthy 15 yesterday am.

Queen - all I can offer if your own advice - live in the moment.

QOTD: I keep saying I want to do new races but I find myself going back to the same old races.  What gives? So I jumped into BluesCruise 50k in 3 weeks.  Been there and done that.  Pretty sure I swore that race off in 2015 the last time I ran it.  Then I am in for Stone Mill 50 miler in November. This will be #4 on that race for me.  I really need to hit some new races.  So good question George.

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Ran a tempo this morning even though I was supposed to be resting. I rested this weekend. Actually, I was just mad all weekend because my routine was totally messed up by having to go to birthday party Friday night and then to pick up the girls and go grocery shopping on Saturday. I hate to be obligated to do something on a weekend.

QOTD: I like to run something different, but I have been pretty regular at a few races over the years, either crewing or running. I think new is better.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Usually and SRD on Monday's, but might walk / jog a bit tonight to shake things out.

Sue - pack more than you think you'll need.  For drop bags, label everything and let your crew person know where everything is.  Large zip-lock bags work great for food and even socks.  Take extra light and batteries and a jacket that you'll grab before you need it.  Wrap it around your waist or stuff in a pack because you will get cold a t nigh when you dehydrate a bit.  Looks like you go by star / finish area around mile 29, so you can adjust what's not working.  I like to change socks to get the grip out of them and dust off feet.  Fresh socks always feel good.  Call or text me if you have questions.  And I jut saw you go by Timothy Lake. I love that place. Might be dark when you are there, but it's a beautiful lake.

QOTD:  Have some I like to do over and over (still miss Sole Challenge), but I'm mostly a one and done guy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

No running and no lifting today. Can't remember the last time I did no on-purpose exercise for a whole day.

QOTD: I race about once a year. I've done the Ironmasters 50k the past couple years and will likely make that an annual thing. I like and know the course and I can judge my time one year compared to another. I'm also planning on the StoneMill 50 miler, but we'll see if I'm still in after the Steamtown marathon in a few weeks.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I got a king's welcome home from Tiny Elvis yesterday and celebrated with a nice 4-ish mile hike on the trails.

Sue- one suggestions- bring two headlamps (with batteries in) and enough spare batteries for one; a headlamp malfunctioning would be a train wreck, if needed the few extra ounces will be well worth it.

Have the day off (working part time rocks Smile) and will get out on the trails with Tiny E; have to start getting gear ready for my bison hunt this weekend.

qotd: there are a couple of local races that I enjoy running and will continue to do so; I'd be up for a new race, but it would have to be in a "special" place for me to consider it

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Hi all, Got in 4 speedy miles on the biker-hiker trail last night. It's been hard to hit the dirt lately. Our county park trails are still closed. Will slip down to rock creek this afternoon for some hills there.

I, too, am doing Stone Mill! But at an aid station. GC and Jamie-- hope to see you both pass thru. Usually at the AS around mile 17 or 18, but we can chat when it gets near.

qotd: Both. How is that for a non-answer? I try to add new ones each year, but I also have a few that I really like to run almost every year.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Got into a fender-bender on the way to work this morning.  I was car #3 in a nice bumper-car foursome (not the enjoyable kind).  Everyone was ok, thankfully.  Probably won't run today as I will now have to do the paperwork, etc.

I haven't yet registered for Stone Mill, mostly because I haven't discussed it with DW yet as we're not sure about fall plans.  But I probably will, even though I think my fitness level has dropped a bit.  And it would be nice to see a few forumites too. 

QOTD:  Like runtrail, a bit of both for me too.  If I could run the NYC marathon every year, I would, because for a major marathon it's convenient for me.  It's such an exciting event.  Unfortunately, they don't let me in every year.  Humph!  Otherwise, I do like to seek out and try new races.... doesn't matter, loopty-doopty, point-to-point, flat, all vertical, pavement, mud, whatever.  As long as I get a t-shirt and some bling, I'm happy.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Sandy-2

Typical SRD Monday for me.

Tapering is fun.  I'll slowly get a shopping list together for any food I want to bring, will pack the drop bags next weekend. My run is a point-to-point and I guess I put a bag every 25 miles plus stuff to change into at the finish.  I'll catch the bus from the finish back to the car at the start afterwards.

Queen:  just PM me if you have any questions.

Bert-o:  sorry to hear about the accident, glad you're ok.

qotd: I do some local shorter races every once in a while (although this year will be my 14th time doing the Houston marathon). For 100 milers my plan has always been one-and-done like AT. Unless I DNF, then I try go back and get the finish.  I have 3 DNFs; Leadville which I went back and finished the following year, Hardrock which I am still trying to get back in to (The Bear is a qualifier), and Mt Fuji in Japan which I don't think I'll get back to (I had signed up to do it a 2nd time but got transferred back the the US before the race date).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Gator eye

Rest day

QOtd: without major travel, I usually end up doing the same races. Next year I would like go back to Superior and do it again.

Oh free advise to Queen day. Cool, I got one

stash a beer in your last drop bag. When your tired, dehydrated, puking on your shoes, and feeling like there is no possible way your going to make the last 15 miles, crack that bad boy open, sit down and enjoy. Time you get to the bottom you’ll be feelin better.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

me like..... Unfortunately the last drop bag is 30 miles before the finish!   I think that's a wee bit too soon. But maybe the last aid station can help me out. 

Rest day

QOtd: without major travel, I usually end up doing the same races. Next year I would like go back to Superior and do it again.

Oh free advise to Queen day. Cool, I got one

stash a beer in your last drop bag. When your tired, dehydrated, puking on your shoes, and feeling like there is no possible way your going to make the last 15 miles, crack that bad boy open, sit down and enjoy. Time you get to the bottom you’ll be feelin better.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

me like..... Unfortunately the last drop bag is 30 miles before the finish!   I think that's a wee bit too soon.

So that means you need to pack more beer.   J/K, of course.  I have no advice (free or for a fee), but I really like reading the others!

But Gator's reminded me of a RR I read from the Moab 240.  Photo of the drop bags....

And a close-up of a particular drop bag....

I do love to be inspired.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks for the advice all...I have been googling and reading RR from this race Mountain Lakes 100   and getting ideas.    The course is a dumbbell...a 26mile loop to the s/f and a drop bag/crew, then a straight 29 to drop bag and crew, 18 around the lake, back to drop bag and then 30 to finish.  So I will only have 2 drop bags.

Sandy my weather should be 53/34 rain Friday and Monday so chance are I may get wet.  Last year, the first loop was covered in snow.   May happen again. 

XT:  Thanks cold is my main concern.  In case of snow on the first loop I will change shoes and socks after first 26.  Any maybe 2 pairs of socks to change at 55 and 70 if needed. Looking at your picture I think you may have changed your socks a little more.     now just talking aloud.  I am also going to wear a puffy jacket in the middle of the night.

Dr Jamie:  Yes going to keep that in mind...no GPS, and just remind myself I am out here for 28 hours...I also am digging audio books and have downloaded a few.

AT:  Timothy Lake will be completely dark...but I did run by it on the Mt Hood 50.  I am guessing I will get to my second drop bag around mid night so that's good advice about bringing the coat early.

MT:  Thanks will carry 2 headlamps...was thinking if they had new batteries they would last the night, but no have spares?

Anyone...do you think poles will help me the last 30 which I did 10 miles of and there were some climbs on it.  I have only ran with poles once...so would they just be a detriment.

May rain...would you buy a running rain jacket?  I heard they really don't keep you dry.