Trailer Trash

Nickname Fridailies (Read 19 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Planning on 7 after work.  Rainy this morning.... sounding like a broken record, but at least cooler.

Anyone know what time Bear starts today?  (Edit - never mind, it looks like it's started.., Go Sandy!)

QOTD:  Since Sandy isn't really Sandy, it got me wondering.... do any of you have a nickname(s)?  Temporary or permanent?  Or only used by certain others?

I'm Bert (as one could easily guess), but my first name is George.  So if you go looking for me in running results, don't look for a Bert, because I register under my real name.  I'll answer to George, but there's already another George here, so Bert is good.  My family called me Bert, because my father was George, and his father was also George (no I am not part of the Foreman clan).  So they had to call me something else, thus Bert.

Also, my youngest sister is named Amanda, but we (only the family) call her Tuni.  For the life of me, I don't remember why or how we got to that, but maybe as a child, she was a tad bit jealous I had a nickname and she didn't. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Mandy - I got tickets this morning to go see "Free Solo" on Wednesday.  I now have 5 days to enjoy sweaty palms. 

National Geographic article about the making of the film, with nice pics if you like sweaty palms...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture-exploration/2018/09/alex-honnold-jimmy-chin-free-solo-yosemite-el-capitan-explore-through-the-lens/

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

LB2

I ran a short loop this morning. I was tired. I usually go to bed between 8 and 8:30, but I stayed up flipping between news stations watching completely different takes on the exact same events from yesterday. Anyway, moving on, I was tired, but once I started running, things smoothed out quickly. It wasn't quite as humid this morning, but it was a slow and easy run.

QOTD: I go by my middle name, Burke. But my first name is Wilburn, which is why I go by my middle name. However, it is fairly common in these parts for a person to go by their middle name. I don't know what that is about.

LB2

runtraildc

Hi all. 5.5 miles of running-hiking in rock creek. Ended up raining all day yesterday (after my run) and thru the night. The trails were a mess. The section along the creek was surprisingly in the best condition. Up on the ridge, where I thought it would be ok, was very muddy in parts. downhills were washed out. Passed a sinkhole that looked 'fresh' in the middle of the trail. Then I looked up and saw a huge widowmaker about 20 feet over my head (downed tree caught in another). Our county park trails are closed until tomorrow. If they looked anything like this, I understand.  It's saturated out there.

LB- my grandpa was nicknamed 'Darb' since he and his family did not care for his given name, Clement. I wonder if it's a tradition to pass down names in some areas, to honor someone, but then give them another name to actually use?

qotd: No nicknames. And my real name is Nancy.

dhuffman63

Trails

Taking a day off as my back hurts today, I may even bag my weekend miles.  Even without them I have the highest month ever...134.  I know some of you put up way more weekly but this year has been the first I've been consistent.

QOTD: No nickname, altho sometimes people call me Di...my name is Diane.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy - I got tickets this morning to go see "Free Solo" on Wednesday.  I now have 5 days to enjoy sweaty palms. 

Well, I'm jealous!  Still waiting to see if it comes to Madison.  Right now the closest theater is about 2 hours away near Chicago and those tickets haven't gone on sale yet, otherwise I might have considered making the drive.

I'm still not running, but I am going camping after work for the weekend.  We have a frost advisory tonight, so I'll really be testing my new sleeping bag.

QOTD:  Well, I really am Mandy and I really do live in Madison.  Although that's short for my "official" name.  I'll let you guess what that is. 

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran 5 this morning with the group.  Everything is feeling pretty good.

QOTD:  Wow a lot of you have totally different names!!   I'm Sue but to my family I am Susy.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

LB- my grandpa was nicknamed 'Darb' since he and his family did not care for his given name, Clement. I wonder if it's a tradition to pass down names in some areas, to honor someone, but then give them another name to actually use?

qotd: No nicknames. And my real name is Nancy.

I am not sure, but I was actually thinking about that, too. My first and middle name are both names that are family names.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ran 5+ indoors last night as the rain was still holding on in our area.  But looks like it will be nice the next few days - yay!  I finally had my ortho apt this morning.  Now I remember why I don't like going to doctors.  (AT - I imagine you are the exception to this).  I waited several weeks to get in for my appt, it was cancelled on me twice, and I waited for probably 45 min for the doc to actually see me once I was in the exam room - this after paperwork and x-rays.  He saw me for no more than 4 minutes.  I was a bit stunned.  He focused on one particular symptom which may or may not be important.  The result - get an MRI, come back to look at said MRI, take some steroidal meds and muscle relaxers, and go to Physical Therapy.  Nice guy and offered more time if I had questions but I was disappointed.  Maybe too much of a build up in my mind leading to the appt.  So I will get the MRI, take the meds.  I am not sure if I will follow-through on the PT though.  We'll see.  BTW - this is for the sciatic pain I have been having in my leg (for 7 months!!!!).  When I said I also had some a little bit of numbness in the side of my foot, he was hyper focused on that.  So for now I will trust him and move through the treatment.  Ughhhh!!!!!   Still running though.  

Susy Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Bert - that picture makes me a little dizzy.

Di and Wilburn - got it!

QOTD: Never really had any nicknames.  So many people assumed my real name was James though so they called me that.  It's not.  Real name is Jamie.  But I never corrected people.  Since I got my doctorate in May, a few co-workers have been calling me Dr. J which I actually like.  So in the college courses I teach I have been signing correspondence with Dr. J.

Have a great day!

-Dr. J  

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Well my brothers called me Suey in a loud squealing voice

Susy Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

potential meet up

http://www.canyondechellyultra.com/

Interrupting my usual semi-lurkerness to say I’ve heard of that and would love to do it.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  Weather looks good for a nice long run tomorrow.

DW said she might want to run Blues Cruise 50 next week. Not sure if I want to or not, weather may dictate that. Jamie, you're running it, right? You know you're part of an ultra running family when you can pick 50k's a week before as a fun run.

QOTD:  No nicknames for me.  When I was young, I was Timmy.  Changed that in 6th grade because I hated "Timmy" the kid on Lassie.  Some family still call me that.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out for a chocolate peanut butter Ice Creme cone with DW . That will be a 35+ mile round trip on the bikes.

Dr J - Sorry to hear about the sciatic pain. That crap can really suck.  Look up the Mackenzie program, it might help.  Does the Doc think you have a herniated disc?  My lumbar curve is too flat. The Mackenzie exercises helped a little with correcting that. What works the best for me isusing a rolled up towel whenever I'm sitting in a vehicle. I place that in the small of my back wherever it feels the best on that particular day and it really helps.

QOTD:  No real nicknames. Daydreamer was my CB handle and fits me.  There are a few people who will have a pet name or two that they will use on occasion but that is rare.  DD's name is Cassandra. When DS was little he would call her Kak because he couldn't pronounce her name.  We will still call her Kakky at times.  When he was born she was just learning to talk and often called him Dut. Later she lengthened that to Dutty then Dutty Brown for some reason. We will still use those names for the kids.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes I am running slogging it.  The weather report keeps changing - go figure.

SRD today.  Weather looks good for a nice long run tomorrow.

DW said she might want to run Blues Cruise 50 next week. Not sure if I want to or not, weather may dictate that. Jamie, you're running it, right? You know you're part of an ultra running family when you can pick 50k's a week before as a fun run.

QOTD:  No nicknames for me.  When I was young, I was Timmy.  Changed that in 6th grade because I hated "Timmy" the kid on Lassie.  Some family still call me that.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday