Trailer Trash

Lost In The Woods Saturdaily (Read 31 times)

moonlightrunner

Hello? Anyone out there today?

I finally got up at O Dark Thirty and drove to a State Park about 30 miles away to explore new trails. I got there and it was dark...so I waited. I was not the only one out there waiting. The sound of gun fire began abruptly from every direction. It is hunting season in Michigan.

The trails there are great but since I have no sense of direction it was not very satisfying because of all the stopping and reading of maps and try to figure out which.

It was a beautiful morning. The fall colors have peaked but the maples are still beautiful. It was supposed to be 16 miles today....but I don't think it was. I was out for 3 hours...but it was not solid...tomorrow I will try 20 on familiar territory.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Occasional Runner

Hello? Anyone out there today?

This place doesn't really get much traffic on the weekends anymore. Dwindling rapidly during the week, too.

6 mile road run and gym time this morning. Heading to the trails with the dog in a few hours for another 12 or 13 with a ton of climbing. It's a gorgeous day in the Wasatch!

Daydreamer1

This place doesn't really get much traffic on the weekends anymore. Dwindling rapidly during the week, too.

Been wondering why this is. Seems like there used to be a lot more discussions on here. Maybe it's just because everyone's life is like mine. Very busy.

Anyway, I'm planning on a 7-8 mile run later today.

AT-runner

Tim

I'm still here.  DW and I did 2 hour run today in the woods.  I fell 2 times in the first mile due to the rocks hiding under the leaves and all of the shadows coming through the trees.

Probably an AT run tomorrow since that gets more traffic and leaves will be trampled.

QOTD:  What precautions do you take when hunters are in the woods?

During rifle season for deer, I stay away from the trails for 2 weeks, except on Sundays (no Sunday hunting in PA).  Otherwise, I just wear as much orange as possible.  Only had 2 bad encounters in the many years I've been running in the woods.  Most hunters are surprised to see me out there, but don't seem too upset about me scaring away the critters.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jonferg67

Endless trails

I've been out of touch for a bit, took a little break.

Last Sunday I ran with a group of guys from my backyard to Bear Mt, via the Suffern-Bear

Mt Trail. Awesome run, only about 10 miles but the trails were difficult including 2

major rock climbs. I still can't believe a marked trail like that can have such an incredible

climb for anyone to enjoy.

I went out for a short few miles this morning but had to loop back bc I felt sick, DW just got

over the flu so I'm hoping it ain't that.

QOTD: None. Fuck it, I've had a damn good life.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I'm back, too, from having been lost in the woods for the past 2 weeks.

My dad had come from Austria for a 10-day visit, and we traveled from Shenandoah Park all the way to the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, with lots of peeks and detours in all directions. It was a lot of fun, with camping out in the wild for a few nights, a cavern tour, and 10 wonderful days without TV, internet, or (for the most part) cellphones, spending most of the day outdoors.

My dad did his entomology research work, and it was a successful trip also in this respect. We had a very happy time, and my husband and the boys traveled with us part of the way, while the teenage beauty spent her days at home alone and enjoyed being independent for quite a while.

I ran a few trails, but nothing really to emphasize about, even though these were very enjoyable, fun runs.

Planning on a few miles later today, maybe. Gotta get back into the groove again, but catching up with the kids' schools, and work, take their toll on my running plans.

QOTD: As I've been out in the woods most of the day every day lately, I take the precautions seriously. I wear a blaze orange hat, and when I'm off roads, I also wear an orange vest. And I avoid running off roads in the dark during peak season.

Enjoy the weekend, trailers!

(gotta catch up on what's been going on here while I was away!)

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Rain this morning....but got 7 miles in after the rain.  Woods are beautiful when wet.

Qotd: I don't worry about it...no hunters on local trails.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

I"m still here lurking.  Hmmm, maybe should post more.

Rain today, hooray!  (Here in CA, every drop is cause for celebration)  Short run with RC friends this morning on bluffs overlooking the ocean,  12-15 in Purisima canyon tomorrow.  Excited to see puddles.

QOTD: no hunting here, fortunately.

Go Giants!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

runtraildc

Latecomer to the party today.  Got in a short run, the 3 miles I planned on last night happened today.  Not one of those great runs.  Was on the roads, I was hungry, what else could I complain about?  But the weather was gorgeous here and got lots of other stuff done, that needed to get done.

Jon, Gatsby and Couch-- welcome back!

qotd:  My trails are set within urban parks, so hunting is off limits.  There are sharpshooters in a few of the parks, on specific days and at night.  I wish there were more of them because I'm much more likely to be hurt by a charging herd of deer than a hunter.

Occasional Runner

I logged 14 trail miles on my 2nd run today and bagged a peak along the way. The dog kicked up a shitload of grouse, so I spent a bunch of time trying to reign her back in. Her hunting instinct is far stronger than her loyalty instinct. But it's that hunting instinct that makes her such a great running partner. I love my little buddy.

Daydreamer1

Welcome back Jon, Gatsby,  FTYC.

QOTD: I stay out of the woods during bear and regular rifle deer season, except when I'm hunting. Also try to be aware of when spring turkey hunters might be out and avoid those times of the day as well. Some of these guys put a lot of time and money into hunting and I'd hate to ruin their vacation.  When there's a high chance that there will be small game hunters out I wear orange.

some call me Tim

I keep telling myself I ought to post in the dailies. I do like it in here. Hi!

8 hilly miles on the road today, pretty uncommon but I'm mixing it up in the middle of a 2 week taper before my first 50k.

QOTD: Even road running is a little nerve wracking around here right now - gunshots everywhere. RIght now I tend to stick to a nearby county park or more often run loops on my tiny (but slowly expanding) trails at home. Now up to 2/3 of a mile loop, one which I have run for up to 21 miles. Mind numbing, but good for suppressing the urge to quit with the house never too far away.

moonlightrunner

I keep telling myself I ought to post in the dailies. I do like it in here. Hi!

8 hilly miles on the road today, pretty uncommon but I'm mixing it up in the middle of a 2 week taper before my first 50k.

QOTD: Even road running is a little nerve wracking around here right now - gunshots everywhere. RIght now I tend to stick to a nearby county park or more often run loops on my tiny (but slowly expanding) trails at home. Now up to 2/3 of a mile loop, one which I have run for up to 21 miles. Mind numbing, but good for suppressing the urge to quit with the house never too far away.

Welcome to the dailies! You have some determination to run that short loop so many times! Gunfire is disturbing while out on the trail. It is a long hunting season here. I'll still get out, but I may run the bike path where there is supposed to be no hunting for early morning runs and on weekends.

Enjoy the taper!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

I ran 5 Saturday morning.

QOTD: orange hat.

LB2