Trailer Trash

Triple Crown RR (Read 18 times)

Daydreamer1

Wasn't sure I was going to bother writing anything up for this one but here's a short version.

This is a race I did last year down in Delaware. Actually 5 races going on at once.  A marathon, Half, 10k, 5k and the Triple Crown. The Triple Crown is the Half, followed by the 10k, then the 5k.

I kind of like it because of the terrain and distance. 22.4 miles is a nice distance for me.  The trails are really nice and almost all runnable even for me. Some roots, one stream crossing and a few hills. There might have been a rock somewhere. I think I could mountain bike most of them.  Trails are in a state park so you gotta watch out for other users.

Training:  I started that in earnest sometime around the first of April. Longest run, 14 miles.

It was going to be hot so I decided to run with my water pack with Tailwind and carry a bottle of chocolate Perpetuem.  I had been mixing that 5-6 scoops in 20-22 oz. This time I tried 3 scoops in 24 oz.  Carried a few granola bars and gels as well.

Decided to channel my inner Karl Meltzer and started off with my Speedgoats with double layer Wrightsocks.  Never have blistered with them that I can remember.  The plan was to use the Speedgoats for the Half because of the creek crossing than switch to my Bondi's for the 10k and 5k.

Mass start. Already passed by half of the pack.

Last year's race was  run clockwise for all but the 10k this year it was run counterclockwise.  There were some trail closures so there was a loop that was different from last year.  Start area was at a different place and I found myself on the front line. Wiggled my way to the middle of the pack to keep from getting trampled.  The Half and Triple Crown started 10 minutes before the Full.  Typical trail race at first and conga line but things were moving.  A few bridges that were slippery. Some lady  ahead of me fell on one and those of us behind her had to run throouhg and cloud of blue smoke. Not sure if she was swearing about the conditions of the trail or at herself for being stupid and hitting it too fast.  Not really much to say about the race other than last year I had crossed the creek and was a good distance past it before the marathoners caught up. Not so this year. Some of them were really flying.  Creek water was nice and cool but not real deep. It was rather hot and someone was handing out wet towels and I was lucky enough to grab one.  Ended up turning the half in about 2:25, about the same as last year. The last 3-4 miles I kept looking over my shoulder feeling like a bear attack was chasing me.  Made it back just as the 10k was about ready to head out. Missed the start because I was in the "fort" taking care of said bear attack.

What's not to like about trails like that?

Headed out by myself on the 10k this time clockwise following yellow pie plates. Legs felt decent. Walked a few of the steep hill at the beginning.   I got about 2 miles into it when I passed my first 10ker. Some older guy really huffing and puffing as he plodded along. Kudos to him for being out there. Chatted a few words and he was really enjoying being able to be out there. Hope that's me when I'm that age.  At the creek crossing the 10k course loops back along the creek but doesn't cross it. A lot of people out fishing. At this point the miles were showing and the legs were heavy. Decided it was time to start Gallowaying it. Plan was to run 300 steps, counted with just one leg so actually 600 steps, and walk 100. Got to 300, legs got stubborn on me and wouldn't stop. Ended up plodding along for about a mile planning on walking but the legs wouldn't let me. Not that they felt good it was just easier to keep running.  Ended up walking a short distance with some fisherman chatting with them about fishing vs. catching. Then I caught another Triple Crown runner who was struggling with the heat. It was easily in the upper 70s and I was really happy for the towel.  Every water station I'd just dump water over my head on the towel and head out.  Got to the final section and thought that I only had about a mile to go. Nope. Kept going on until I was convinced the signs had been changed. Then the 5k runners started coming towards me and at the end were a few Triple Crown runners. One of then told me it was a 7.2 mile 10k.  I ended up showing 6.89 miles.

Got done with that and the legs were now shot. Still figured I'd catch DW and DD as they were going to just walk it.  Of course I figured they'd run a little bit of it just to try to beat me. At this time it was just plod along one foot in front of the other and do a lot of walking. Ran into a few 10kers that I don't remember passing. They were complaining about getting lost because the course was poorly marked. Not sure where they got lost but the signs were there.  Got to the only water station and there was a marathoner there who was heading out on his second loop. He was having a bad day and was sitting down trying to get the energy to finish his second loop.  I headed back towards the finish and never did catch DW and DD. They ran some and pushed pretty hard to stay ahead and I was too pooped to catch them.

In the end I did it in about the same time as last year.  That may sound good but it wasn't because last year I caught up to DW about 1 1/2 miles into the 5k and walked the last part. At the same time the 10k was about a mile long. I came up short on the half but when I look at the GPS track on the map a lot of it was off trail especially cutting corners so it was at least 13.1 miles. In the end I was happy with my time and performance.  I finished middle of the pack on the half, towards the end of the 10k and when we left the board was showing me dead last in the 5k and the Triple Crown.  Apparently there were 5-6 that didn't finish the Triple Crown. Don't know if or where any results will be posted as the web site changed from last year and even the historical finishes are difficult to find.

Not really sure if this race will be run next year. Apparently the RD wants to quit so if no one takes over it may not happen. If it does happen I don't know if we will go back down or not. Really love the type of trails that are there.  They could educate some of the volunteers a little better. Some are almost clueless to the point you have to wonder if they know a race is going on.

Never did change out of my Speedgoats. Feet being wet didn't really bother me so I didn't want to take the time to change.  On the way home I made the mistake of sitting the Bondi's next to the Speedgoats .  What a batch of arguing and fighting over who is the best . Speedgoats telling the Bondi that they're too fat  and hold too much water to run real trails and the Bondi's firing back that the Speedgoats are too thin to go for 50 miles . Finally threatened to throw my dirty, stinky compression shorts on them if they didn't shut up  .  Silence .

XtremeTaper

Congrats DD on muddling through the heat. Maybe a soak mid-race in the White Clay Creek would have helped. Think I had better timing for my race this past weekend weather wise. I haven't kept up much with the status of the TrailDawg races but this has been one of their money events for many years now. A lot of the volunteers are not runnners. Used to be a stop for the marathon maniacs needing Delaware for a state many years ago, and boy some of those folks got surprised! Anyway, if you like the trails look up Stumpy's Trail Marathon. It's in September and covers these same trails and many more in White Clay Creek and Middle Run. It's a fatass big loop most years.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice training for your 6 hour run coming up.  Must be tough with the logistics of having to try and catch the next start. Was your 10K time based on your bear attack, or did you wear a chip?

I was supposed to do Stumpy's many years ago and had to miss it. That race always looked nice for a fall trail marathon.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

XT -  When I hit the creek on the way back on the half I made sure to soak the towel in the water. Some guy yelled at me to not drink the water . Don't know if he thought I was going to suck on the towel or not.  The Mayor of Newark was there and spoke before the race and she said that it's very important source of revenue for the homeless shelters so she's actively trying to find someone to take over next year.   DW noticed the difference in the Volunteers to and that they didn't appear to be runners. She finds the ones who are runners to be more helpful and upbeat.

AT - No chip. All hand  timing.  They score the Triple Crown by placement of each race. For example I finished 72/140 in the half so I got 72 points.  I think I finished 66th in the 10k so they add that on and then for the 5k as well.  Lowest point total wins the triple crown.  If you come back in after the next race starts you just head back out when you are ready.  Your time starts at their "gun time". I  did the 10k in 1:26 but had an 11 minute break in between for the bear attack and resupply.

Sandy-2

DD, sounds like a fun set of runs. The photos look really nice.  Congrats on the triple.

I am a little worried that you might have been affected by the heat, shoes arguing with each other? Hmmmmm...

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Gator eye

Sounds like a lot of fun

Really, shoes arguing with each other. You should of heard what Mr. Jangles said about that when I told him

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Very nice.  I had not remembered you were doing this.  I like the concept.  One of the these years...

Your shoe "argument" sounds like a good Hoka commercial. You should send them the pitch for it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

I am a little worried that you might have been affected by the heat, shoes arguing with each other? Hmmmmm...

I think it was the stress from work this past week .

Gator - I can just see him slowly shaking his head.

Jamie - Don't know if I'll go back next year or not. If they don't do the triple crown probably not. From some of the things I read earlier even if they keep the other races they may drop the triple crown simply due to the difficulty in scoring it.  Also heard one of the guys there say it was the lowest number of people doing the triple crown that he can ever remember.

LB2

I try to segregate my shoes to keep the arguing down. Congratulations. It looks like a fun time.

LB2