Trailer Trash

Ultra Vests (Read 431 times)

Messenjah

C'mon Lace, aren't you being a little snarky Big grin HA HA HA

If you want to be like everybody else...buy a Nathan vest. "they" all seem to love it.

For me, I did try a few different ones and picked the Nathan vest primarily due to price and the front pockets. I would love to have a Salomon vest, but just couldn't afford it. Lace, if you have a hook up I'll definitely take one. Wink

NorthernHarrier

C'mon Lace, aren't you being a little snarky Big grin HA HA HA

For me, I did try a few different ones and picked the Nathan vest primarily due to price and the front pockets. I would love to have a Salomon vest, but just couldn't afford it. Lace, if you have a hook up I'll definitely take one. Wink

LOL!  I chuckled at that too. Some of us mere commoners use Nathans.  Like I said I've used one for several years and it's OK. Don't love it but it is simplistic/utilitarian and works. I can strap a filter on the back and be out all day. I've also got a Camelbak with a little more capacity and a Gregory with a bladder and much more capacity for rain gear, filter, food. None of these are great but work. But to keep it simple I usually use the Nathan.

But since the topic is vest for ultras I guess I would want to see the layout of the aid stations and drop bags because in the end if I don't have to wear a vest and can get by with a waist belt or hand held that's what I'm doing.

Uh oh... now what?

If most listed how many hydration thingies they have, or had, it would probably fill the page.

In the end the opinions about gear you wear are almost meaningless--that is partly why

the pile in our closet gets bigger each year, even though we give some away every year.

I have three single-bottle belts, two two-bottle belts (one from '86), a CamelBak 100 ouncer,

and a dark closet where individual bottles breed when the door is closed.

What works great for one is something the next person does not like at all.  My wife does

not like any type of backpack, but like almost any belt.  Neither of us care for the vests.

I probably use the two-bottle belt and one or two handhelds for longish runs just as much

as the 100-ounce CamelBak for things when no water is available along the way.

Watoni

I have a UD AK that I just got but have not used yet (like Lace, I do not like using anything unless I have to).

I have a North Face hydration pack I quite like, but filling a bladder during races is a pain imho. I am hoping to try the AK on a long run once my ankle is better.

Irish Luck

I have a Nathan (wink, wink lace!), and my husband has a Camelbak. Of course, I don't remember the models, but I could check.  The mister loves his Camelbak -- he's 6' and ~200lbs.  It has been great in all temps and has adjusted well to different layers of clothing.  

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm hoping the AK works for me (they need to get back in stock first- supposedly February) as I much prefer two bottles over a bladder (one w/ a sports drink- usually perpetuem, the other water)   I use handhelds, but they aren't my favorite.  Sometimes I have to use a bladder on unsupported runs, the Mountain Hardwear Fluid 6 is what I've been using of late-rides nice, but could use bigger pockets up front, the main pack is pretty roomy though for being so light

Someone pointed me to the Ultraspire Kinetic, also out of stock, but got an email back saying probably the 1st of the year- it carries the bottles lower, so that would definitely be a plus for folks who don't like the bottles riding on or near the chest

saw this the other day and thought it was pretty neat, but it's only a single bottle so would necessitate an additional handheld

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

RunJasonRun

I wear a CamelBak Rogue to all of my races, and it's always done me right.  I'm intrigued, though, by the Ultimate Direction vests (AK, etc.), because they seem even more user-friendly.  I need to try one on in a store first, though.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Birdwell

I wear a CamelBak Rogue to all of my races, and it's always done me right.  I'm intrigued, though, by the Ultimate Direction vests (AK, etc.), because they seem even more user-friendly.  I need to try one on in a store first, though.

I've had a rouge for a number of years, I got it mainly for hiking and I do love it. I simply found it lacking a bit in the ability to carry enough food for a full day excursion. The hardest part about all of these is finding a store that carries a decent selection. Lots of stores have camelbaks, some stores carry the Nathans, I've never seen a store in my region with the ultimate direction, and the Salomon store in salt lake only had the small sizes of their vests when I visited them. 

I can't justify spending over $100 on a vest without trying it on, and getting a few laps around the store in it. 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if you can't find them to try on locally might look at running warehouse- has free returns and they carry camelbak, nathan and ultimate direction

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

RabbitChaser

I have multiple hydration packs. I have the Solomon S-lab 5 vest, which I like, but one of the bottle pockets ripped while a small camera was being carried in it. The UD was is OK, but I just can't get it adjusted right for me. The Nathan HP 2.0 is very comfortable and has worked well for me. Now, my go to pack is the Camelbak Ultra LR vest. It has ample pockets and has a waist bladder. The only down-side, it's tough to get the full amount of water in the bladder. I guess you could say that I'm still searching for the perfect vest, but figure that will always change. Smile

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ which UD do you have?

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

RabbitChaser

That just shows I can' type with my left hand...lol. I have the UD Wasp.

Lace up I have 3 friends who love their Solomon vests. Two of them have boobs.  The way it affected or didn't affect their boobs is the biggest topic of discussion when they describe why they like it so much.  The guy is a Solomon fan regardless.  It has high marks going into this discussion, but I wanted to make sure I didn't overlook any other options.

Can anyone shed more light on this? I am dead serious....that is my biggest concern when buying a vest and I want to buy a bottle vest this summer. 

Occasional Runner

Can anyone shed more light on this? I am dead serious....that is my biggest concern when buying a vest and I want to buy a bottle vest this summer. 

I think its the cut of the vest. For instance, I don't even use my chest straps because the pack rides so stable without  them. If you can avoid the straps, or allow them to be very loose, I would think it would be helpful for those with boobs.

I just bought another Salomon pack yesterday because they made a couple of upgrades and I've decided to always have an extra on hand when I race 100's. It's a great pack.

dpc3

I have a Nathan hpl 020 and do not like it but it's what I have for now until I replace it.

Things I like:

- Storage is decent

- did I mention storage is decent

Things I do not like:

- Bladder constantly fall off the hook causing it to bounce and slosh around

- As the water level in the bladder decreases / increases you have to adjust the straps, at least I do and that annoying after 20 miles

- Instead of a camera / phone/ whatever pocket I'd like to see an additional water bottle pocket like the one on the other side of the vest

- The hose clamp on the sternum strap doesn't hold the hose well and falls off frequently while I am running

Many of my dislikes are annoyances and probably just mine but I would not recommend this pack. I am looking to up grade to something else just haven't taken the time to do my research.